Author Topic: What accomplishment made you feel like you made it as a decent gamer?  (Read 6184 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
For me, it was when I got my 1,308,000 score on Donkey Kong Junior.  I already had a really good Atari 2600 Galaxian score, and of course a really good Donkey Kong 3 score, but for Junior it was what took me to a different league.  What I mean by that is I was thought of as a one hit wonder.  So I felt like some people saw it as a fluke.  But Junior got me respect by my fellow gamers as at least a decent gamer.  For me, that meant a lot.
So I was wondering what moment in your gaming life made you feel that you were a decent gamer?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Dk_madness

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Hmmmm..... I would have to say my 32 hour Kicker marathon. But my Dark Tower world record would be a close second Kappa
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
The first one was probably rolling the score on Joust when I was about 13.  Once I cleared 10 million, I just dumped lives to end it.  My Pac-Man killscreen made me feel accomplished, but it's meh.  Anyone can do it.  Finishing Pitfall! with a perfect score, both lives, and over 1 minute remaining is one of my favorites. 

The number one accomplishment that made me really feel like a decent gamer, so far, is probably Yolympics 2017, when I finished 22nd, ahead of such luminaries as Riley, Fly, Exed, and Duaber, and in which I had 5 Top 15 scores and 1cc'd Twin Cobra II.  Never grinded so hard in my life.

On a personal level, my best accomplishment was finally kicking the asses of 3 adults, playing Hyper Sports when I was 14-15.  Every Saturday for about 6 months, a group of 4 of us would meet up at the mall at Aladdin's Castle, and even though I was the only one who had to have their mom drop them off, we'd play for hours on end.  When I finally mastered my seizure-style button mashing technique on the swimming, I was finally able to bury them all consistently, after getting MY ass kicked for the first month and being laughed at and made fun of. 
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
Even though I was never elite at the game, passing TTFAF for the first time on Guitar Hero 3 was the thing that felt most like an accomplishment to me.

I started by failing hit me with your best shot on like medium or something. Not even expert. literally the easiest song in the game. After that I put in time. A lot of time. I racked up 43 FCs and 5 starred everything else. Then after 3 weeks of dedicated practice I taught myself to tap the intro.

Eventually I 5 starred that too, but that first 3 star pass was about the biggest achievement I ever felt in any game, just because of how badly I sucked at it from the beginning.

When I ks dk it won’t compare.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Much the same with me.  I won a couple of small, local tourneys, and the prize was the cash box full of tokens from the machines in the contest. 

But the arcade where I went gave out free tokens for high scores, and I won more free tokens than anyone.

The incentive for free tokens was a big carrot that helped me to get good at those games, though.
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline UKP

• Awards
When I was a kid I was the only person that could make it to the pie board (that's what we called it) for a while. it was cool people would watch. It's not classic arcade, but I was the 168th person in the world to complete GTAIV 100%.
Member for 6 Years Twitch Streamer

creech

I don't really want to turn this into a negative thread, but, George, you seem to feel highly of yourself and always urge in threads for people to discuss achievements.  Seems to happen weekly. What gives? You truly believe your a big shot? Because why, you'e good att he games your good at?

If I picked the games you'd be crap
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:23:21 am by creech »

creech

The question wasn't for you to answer, ass kisser

creech

I don't really want to turn this into a negative thread, but, George, you seem to feel highly of yourself and always urge in threads for people to discuss achievements.  Seems to happen weekly. What gives? You truly believe your a big shot? Because why, you'e good att he games your good at?

George earned it.  George you can post about yourself all day every day in my book.
Earned What?

creech

The question wasn't for you to answer, ass kisser

Oh, man, I had to seriously LOL on that one.  NICE!  No foul, I deserved that comment.  Carry on.

I LOVE YOU GEORGE!  <kisses>
The question wasn't addressed to you

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
1CC on Dodonpachi and Espgaluda 2. DK killscreen and earning a C on Dance Dance Revolution song Max300 with no-bar.
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

creech

jc knows it was just  a logical question. KT is basing this off of the games Riley is good at. Riley starts these bs threads and whatever. What I was saying is if I picked 8 games that aren't his expertise I'd kick his ass at them, or anybody else most likely
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:42:52 am by creech »

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
So exactly when did saying you're a "decent gamer" mean that you think highly of yourself?  Definition of decent:  I was going with definition 2 here: "of an acceptable standard; satisfactory"

Did you miss this thread?  Where I list a whole bunch of people in the hobby I think are better than me?  How one earth is that thinking highly of myself?  I don't even list myself as a top 25 arcade/MAME gamer.    https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2231.0

The reason I don't respond sometimes is because I'm a long haul trucker.   Sometimes it's hard to keep track of things because of that. 

Also, I've been in the hobby for over 9 years now.  And I have every year tried to improve on something.  To better myself in something.

I saw you say in the chat box that you could beat me in any game I'm good at.   Yes, I believe that you can beat me in 99% of the Arcade/MAME games out there.  You see for 99% of games I am not a talented person.  It's never been about talent for me.  For me it's always been about the grind to become very skilled at certain games.  I am not a talented gamer in 99% of the Arcade games out there.  But I still can grind my way to a great score.

I really believe that most people are more talented than me at Donkey Kong Junior.  But despite that, they still need to put in the time.  If you aren't willing to put in the time, you'll never get a higher score than me in those games.

There are only two games where I would consider myself "talented"  Donkey Kong 3, and Galaxian for the Atari 2600.  I have a natural ability on those games.  I have some very good scores on other games, but those scores came from a big time grind.  Nothing less, nothing more.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
George, have you ever considered starting a thread called "Rileys Thoughts" or something along those lines?  You have the highest thread count on this forum by a long shot, and as somewhat alluded to above, it's because you post random threads basically every week.  I understand you like to stimulate conversation and have "philosophical debates", but it would certainly be easier if these posts were all conglomerated into a single thread, like your blog (there is a blog section), when you change the "subject" of your reply, it will appear as if it's a reply to a new thread name anyway.  Just some food for thought. 

To answer your question, I felt accomplished when I successfully mastered the game of peek-a-boo as a toddler.  Kappa
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:49:05 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
But if I do the blog thing, then I lose the draw appeal of the titles.  90% of my talent in writing is in my titles.  My content tends to be sub par, but my titles are fantastically awesome!   8)

If I could write anywhere as decent as my title writing ability, I'd be a millionaire writer.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard