Author Topic: Kong Off 5: Rough Dates, Location, Format, and Qualification Details  (Read 45842 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Kong Off 5: Rough Dates, Location, Format, and Qualification Details
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2016, 01:34:12 pm »
Well I will be there on Saturday.  If the score is crazy low, I may just decide to play, and win the event with a 2014 era Staal 300k in points. <Allen>
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2016, 03:02:34 pm »
In that case, it is unlikely that any seasoned players are attending the event.

Alright, seasoned players aside, I wonder if at some point there will a list posted anywhere of the players who are participating in this Kong Off 5 qualifier?
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2016, 03:26:25 pm »
I wonder if it's possible  <Billy> or  <Wiebe> may use this as an opportunity to qualify?

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2016, 04:39:25 pm »
I wonder if it's possible  <Billy> or  <Wiebe> may use this as an opportunity to qualify?

Will there be private rooms at the venue?  Kappa

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2016, 06:14:41 pm »
At this point, it looks like the only qualifiers will be this KO 4.5 and the Z82 qualifier...
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2016, 12:55:13 am »
Did anyone happen to hear who won the Kong Off 4.5? Congrats to that person. :)
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2016, 02:27:14 pm »
I was there in Banning.  From the looks of it there wasn't enough people to show up, and so there was talk of calling off the contest.  Not sure that was what happened because I didn't attend on Sunday.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline dd0ck

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2016, 10:50:59 pm »
I was there in Banning.  From the looks of it there wasn't enough people to show up, and so there was talk of calling off the contest.  Not sure that was what happened because I didn't attend on Sunday.

We played. I didn't see Richie much Sunday. I overheard they called it off, but Richie/nobody never told me what happened. I just pressed for a huge game and it didn't happen. I just assumed "it didn't count" or whatever on Sunday, but just played anyway to represent Donkey Kong and try my best to show the crowd how great a thing high-level Donkey Kong can be. (Relax, I said I tried.) Billy rocked it, Ken House threw up some scores but mostly hung out, and Eric played a couple games and was pushing for a big score too.  Richie and Ken had their kill screen challenge going. I only saw one game, not sure if they played more.

And Richie brought in some great custom Donkey Kongs. I liked the color scheme and the art. At first glance online I wasn't sure about the black cab with black molding. But they looked great in person. Played great. And really had that tournament cabinet look with no coin door and a credit button. A row of them would look sick. Richie always rocks that shit.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:00:55 pm by dd0ck »
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2016, 01:38:29 am »
MAGFest 2016 starts tomorrow, so I guess that can be removed as a potential qualifier location.

Offline MickyWinz

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2016, 09:40:53 am »
I thought there was one qualifying spot coming from the DKOs.
1,045,900 Arcade
Member for 11 Years DK 1M First Man DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline aarontruitt

• Elite Member
    • AaronTruitt's Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2016, 03:00:57 pm »
Dan Solis from Z82 Retrocade in Arkansas is rumored to announce his qualifier date this weekend...
Arcade DK PB: 1,007,600 (KS)
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

Update on Kong Off 5 Qualification
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 04:39:25 pm »
Briefly chatted with Richie today on what's going on w/ qualifiers.

Until any new info comes up, assume things will work like KO4: dedicated machines for the top 12 HSL, with wildcard machines available. Richie has some personal things going on that are dividing his time more than I think he'd like, but I don't know much I can really get into that. It's safe to assume machines seeded from Eric's tournaments will still be available, so one minimum, maybe two of those are up for grabs.

In other words, right now you have two concrete qualification routes for a dedicated cabinet:

#1. Get into the arcade top 12.
The score to beat is Dean Saglio's 1,100,200.

#2. Beat Dan Desjardins' DKO score of 1,059,700.
While there may be a 2nd DKO seed, getting the 1st seed would assure you a cab. We don't know how many cabs beyond the top 12 will be available.

If scenario #1 is met, it should be noted that the DKO score to beat will go from being 1,059,700 to a monolithic 1,177,600 set by Dean Saglio.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:44:57 pm by WCopeland »

WCopeland

Re: Update on Kong Off 5 Qualification
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 04:47:44 pm »
One more thing to add. Last Kong Off there were several players in the top 12 who for various personal reasons decided not to attend the event. If one player drops, the score to beat goes from 1,100,200 to 1,076,000... and so on and so forth:

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2016, 05:02:33 pm »

In other words, right now you have two concrete qualification routes for a dedicated cabinet:

#1. Get into the arcade top 12.
The score to beat is Dean Saglio's 1,100,200.

#2. Beat Dan Desjardins' DKO score of 1,059,700.
While there may be a 2nd DKO seed, getting the 1st seed would assure you a cab. We don't know how many cabs beyond the top 12 will be available.

I think only the DKO's done after the last Kong off count. So #2 should be Mick Winzeler score of 1,035,400
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2016, 05:59:30 pm »
Does this mean that the regional qualifiers aren't happening?
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer