Author Topic: Kong Off 5: Rough Dates, Location, Format, and Qualification Details  (Read 45657 times)

Offline up2ng

• Awards
Re: Kong Off 5: Rough Dates, Location, Format, and Qualification Details
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 04:14:39 pm »
Wes, thanks for some of that clarification.  I definitely appreciate the work that you and Robbie have done to collaborate with Richie on these matters so that player input is heard and considered well in advance of the event.

There is some reading in-between-the-lines that can be done here. Realistically, it is extremely likely at least one player from the current Arcade Top 12 decides not to come to the event. In that circumstance, next in line would be Corey Chambers. Assuming Corey doesn't go (and I have a hunch he wouldn't), Steve Wiebe would be next in line.

However, to add to this, there is not a single player that would be excluded by this rule, and I can't think of a single player who would fall out of inclusion by it either (such as Dean and Willms).

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of forsight on this -- the event is nearly a year away and current interest and level of talent is stronger than ever.  I would not be surprised at all if the 12th place ("overall") score is 1.12M points or higher by next summer.  In fact, unless some of these guys quit playing, I fully expect all 6 of the current 7th - 12th place "arcade" scores to raise to at least that level (assuming at least some access to a machine), and that doesn't even factor in people like Ethan, Dan, Adam and several other "newer" players who are actively pursuing 1.1M and beyond, including some who may only be playing on MAME.  Assuming Steve and Billy do not raise their own scores, they could easily be out of the Top 20 before the KO5 imo.

I guess it just seems like there is a little bit of "hoping" that things will play out a certain way -- like, let's impose a rule that doesn't currently change anything and hopefully it won't end up being an issue -- and I just hope that everyone involved fully understands some of the potential outcomes.

That brings me to another point, which I think has been assumed but is not spelled out anywhere.  Has it been agreed that the rankings will be based on DKF tracking of the arcade platform?  Or will another scoreboard (such as TG) be used?
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 04:40:06 pm »
You make a good point Dean, and it's very likely I'll be eating those words at some point.

The DKF scoreboard is what will be used, though TG submissions are mirrored on DKF (unless that has changed recently?).

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 06:18:24 pm »
I guess I'm in favor of less machines. That is one thing that changed big from KO1-KO4, being one of the qualifiers makes it special and more machines dilute that. However, I know that leaves a big portion of people out that love DK and love these shows and want to play.

If the format stays the same, I would just ask if a little more prize weight can be given to the high score competition. Last time the bracket prize was heavily weighted 8 to 1 to the high score competition. And we all know DK has always been about the highest score.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 07:23:14 pm »
I agree -- would love to not see such top-heavy prizes. Unfortunately, no word yet on prize allocations (probably a bit too early).

WCopeland

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 07:32:51 pm »
After speaking with Richie Knucklez and Daniel Solis, owner of Z82 Retrocade, Kong Klash 7 is confirmed as a KO5 qualifier event in May 2016.

Z82 Retrocade is located in Sherwood, Arkansas (a suburb of Little Rock). Sherwood is a 5hr drive from Dallas, 5hrs from Oklahoma City, 2hrs from Memphis,
https://www.facebook.com/Z82-Retrocade-329341593840466/timeline/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:34:45 pm by WCopeland »

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 08:29:25 pm »
When I am at GGA at the end of this month, I will tell the owner about the qualifiers and the plans for KO5.
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline BillyGaines

• L=22
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 02:43:08 pm »
After speaking with Richie Knucklez and Daniel Solis, owner of Z82 Retrocade, Kong Klash 7 is confirmed as a KO5 qualifier event in May 2016.

Z82 Retrocade is located in Sherwood, Arkansas (a suburb of Little Rock). Sherwood is a 5hr drive from Dallas, 5hrs from Oklahoma City, 2hrs from Memphis,
https://www.facebook.com/Z82-Retrocade-329341593840466/timeline/

Dan Solis loves DK and takes pride in his machines and players.  The Kong Klash 6 on November 8th is an excellent opportunity to test the water before playing the qualifier at Kong Klash 7 in May.  Wes, Jon McCourt, Andrew Garrett and many others can speak for what a 1st class arcade the Z82 Retrocade is.  If you want to be treated like a King of Kong, then make the trip! 
"If at first you don't succeed then maybe you just suck." - Kenny Powers
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline jwade614

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 10:27:16 am »
Each player in the top 12 will have a dedicated personal cabinet at KO5. If a player from the top 12 decides not to attend, the next player in line gets their cabinet (eg -- if one of the top 12 decides not to go, #13 gets their cab). The four remaining machines will be split up as follows:
  • One cabinet will be available for walk-ups to compete on. There will be a fee to play on this cabinet (fee not yet set in stone).
  • One cabinet will go to the #1 seed in Eric's Donkey Kong Online Open tournaments that have happened since KO4 (DKO#3 and beyond). Remove the arcade top 12 from the aggregate list and you have the #1 seed. The seeded player will get a cab even if their score was done on MAME.
  • Two cabinets will go to players who participate and qualify through regional qualifiers.

Am I reading this correctly that the order of qualifications is:

1. Top 12
2. DKOs
3. Regional Qualifiers

So remove Top12 and DKO winner to determine regional qualifier?
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 06:00:05 pm »
Yes.

Offline diskborste

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 05:10:08 am »
Will there be an Allen-off at the KO5?  <Allen>
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

konghusker

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 01:27:22 pm »
I agree with Dean. Billy and Steve should have machines forever. I think they are still the main draw, but shouldn't take machines from top 12. Give them celebrity machines separate from top 12.

WCopeland

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 01:35:17 pm »
ReplayFX 2016 will be held July 28, 2016 - July 31, 2016, it is safe to assume that these are the dates KO5 will also fall on. That is 9 months from now, so if you are not yet qualified, that's how long you have to get there :)

WCopeland

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 01:38:38 pm »
The list of currently qualified players from the top 12 pool has been updated.

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 08:30:35 pm »
When I am at GGA at the end of this month, I will tell the owner about the qualifiers and the plans for KO5.

I see that the Galloping Ghost is still listed as unconfirmed as a location for a Kong Off 5 qualifier event. Did they have anything to say about it?
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 09:56:49 pm »

I see that the Galloping Ghost is still listed as unconfirmed as a location for a Kong Off 5 qualifier event. Did they have anything to say about it?
I am thinking this is a "no" for now.  They aren't exactly prepared for such an event due to only having 1 dk machine, and I am unsure whether they have a pcb with correct roms in the back.
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer