High Score Lists > Donkey Kong High Score Lists

Should Pauline scores count for the Main HSL?

(1/6) > >>

xelnia:
A DK score has been submitted that uses the Pauline sprite-swap hack and I can't remember if we ever decided as a community if that version was acceptable for the main HSL. So, here's the poll.

The submission is here: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=364.msg44309#msg44309

A thread discussing how Pauline INPs won't play back for regular DK is here: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=411.0

Lyriell:
So Tanya is a legend and amazing and I could go on for days.

But if Pauline mame inps don't work, that breaks the mame/arcade thing.

Theoretically if the game logic is the same, then all is good in the universe.

Maybe a separate leader board like remix and stuff? 

I'm also of the opinion that there should be a Deranged leader board as I would enjoy playing that.

How do games with pallets swaps work elsewhere?  Is green beret separate to rush n attack or are they the same?

Lyriell:
Maybe a better example is Contra vs Probotector?

bonerforce:
Why is there not a PE HSL? It has been around for about 10yrs... I watched ACU-AZU on youtube get a killscreen on Pauline Edition, he ran boards.... like a boss :D

80sArcadeKid:
So I decided to run the test myself to see what differences there are if any between the dkong and dkongpe (pauline) romset.

YouTube Unlisted Link (you will hear audio from both the original recording and the playback).
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX6N26zoHuU
If you playback the Pualine recorded INP with the Pauline romet, everything works fine, but... as in the other thread linked, if you play it back in the DKONG romset it goes weird.
There is a definite change going on after the cutscene at the end of level one, but the VERY START of L2 barrels looks like it's working up until the second girder ladder. It feels like a killscreen positional type of change (that happens at L22) but without the instant death, the controls go wonky. You will see that the INP is actually still playing back all my inputs, but the game freaks out and Jumpman dies multiplr times.

I'm personally gutted that Tanya's PB will probably not get accepted into the HSL, but like other romhacks it should probably go in it's own Pauline HSL. That said I personally believe it's just a syncronous mismatch between the romsets and Pauline from L2 is just the same in difficulty and play as the original romset, it's just got a quirk and that is only displayed on the MAME version. There is no way to playback a hardward version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version