Author Topic: New high score save kit?  (Read 14517 times)

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
New high score save kit?
« on: October 16, 2015, 07:40:18 am »
Any of you guys seen/heard of/used one of these?

Permanently saves all scores, practice mode, high score upload to your personal scoreboard at www.arcadehighscores.com

http://shop.arcadehighscores.com/product_info.php?products_id=8&MODsid=riob8c3cp15cocc8si93qaoah0

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 07:44:44 am by Jonesy Kong »
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: New high score save kit?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 01:30:19 pm »
This statement makes me a bit dubious:

*requires special DK/PAULINE-DUAL-GFX-ROMSET

It also says to see more info in the manual on the download page, but I didn't see a download page.  I was probably being dense, but if you can manage to find the manual, please upload it.  I'm curious to see what all this involves.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 02:10:00 pm »
The practice mode feature seems very interesting, though I have a hunch it doesn't begin at L5.
I suspect the noted required romset is heavily modified and not suitable for legitimate score submission.

Offline jwade614

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 02:39:22 pm »
Features:

permanent saves all scores
choose level-lineup (US/Japan)
Practice-Mode (only barrel/only elevator/only conveyor/only rivets / Japan Lineup starting at L-05, US-Lineup starting at L-05)
different game-versions (DK original, Pauline Edition) *
Freeplay / Attract-Mode
Software-Dips and settings menu at startup
separate Highscoretable for each mode (US/JAPAN/Practice)
Highscore-Upload to your personal scoreboard at www.arcadehighscores.com
This version of the savekit features highscore-upload to the internet. You can display your own arcade-scoreboard and you can compete against other arcade players with our savekits.

Easy to install. You can download the manual here!

* requires special DK/PAULINE-DUAL-GFX-ROMSET (check out the downloadpage)

This Product was added to our catalogue on Tuesday 29 September, 2015.

The special romset is required only for the "different games versions" feature, no?
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 02:42:34 pm »
I think you're right -- I just misread :)

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 11:55:31 pm »
Ha, me too.  I would still like to see the manual, tho.  I think that will shed some more light on the subject.  That and purchasing/trying one.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 04:08:19 am »
This statement makes me a bit dubious:

*requires special DK/PAULINE-DUAL-GFX-ROMSET

It also says to see more info in the manual on the download page, but I didn't see a download page.

I can't see a download page either unless it only becomes available once registered?

*Edit - I've now registered and there is still no download page!  FailFish*
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:37:12 am by Jonesy Kong »
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Tyrem

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 11:30:48 pm »

I can't see a download page either unless it only becomes available once registered?

*Edit - I've now registered and there is still no download page!  FailFish*

Hey guys! I am one of the creators of the savekit. Sorry for the dead link.
You can contact us under service@sellfix.de or under jochenhippel@gmail.com. We are more than happy to answer all your questions. :)

Greetings from Germany!
Stefan

Tyrem

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 11:51:58 pm »
The link should work now. :)
Please feel free to ask us anything about the kit that you would like to know guys! :)

Stefan

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 06:07:12 pm »
Curious about the hardware/software that this uses to upload scores. I assume it has wi-fi built in and connects to wireless routers? How is the score data captured and sent?
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Tyrem

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 12:48:47 am »
Curious about the hardware/software that this uses to upload scores. I assume it has wi-fi built in and connects to wireless routers? How is the score data captured and sent?

no, we are not going wireless. you connect the kit via lan-cable.
i have my cabs connected to a router. the good thing is that you don´t have to configure every single cab. you just plug them in and every game works. upload starts after every time you enter a score.

for technical questions you can reach Jochen under jochenhippel@gmail.com. I will ask him to come to this board to help you guys out here, too.

Tyrem

Some answers to questions from member Tilt
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 04:36:18 am »
Hey guys.

Tilt asked us some questions about the savekit yesterday. I will post Jochens mail to him here. Maybe this answers some of your questions, too. :)

-----------------
Hi Tanner,

i hope i can answer all your questions.
The Savekit itself was done by me about 6 months ago and i must say that i am not sure about "all" the changes right now without checking the source-code. 

but this one i am sure of: the highscoresavekit changes a lot in the code, but nothing in the game logic itself.

the game itself is interrupt-based, that means if a certain non-game-related-code is "inserted", it should only delay the rest of the code for some clockcycles. this will not delay the next interrupt (if this code is short enough - which it is in our case)

inside the main code there are the following changes:
* freeplay-attract mode with some attract sound modifications
* after pressing start button, it is checked if the "online-Tournament" mode is "on". if yes, the last or the 2 last scores in the table will be set to default.
* when donkey kong climbs up the ladder, the "scores are ready to upload"-flag will be deleted
* before every level, the level-lineup-routine will check the virtual dip switch and sets the next level in order what you chose in the main menu.
* when a sprite-number is set for the main player, the routine checks the virtual dip if pauline-mode is "on". if yes, it converts the number and the color to Pauline
* if pauline-mode is on, the text "help" is one line lower because mario is smaller than pauline
* the initials are extended to 12 digits and code is added for "up" and "down" when registering your name, time extended to 60 seconds.
* highscore save after entering the initials
* highscore-upload flag is set (depending on the Online-Mode)

the "biggest" change is in my opinion the "switchable-paule-mod"

question #2+3

right now it is not possible. (we didn#t intend to produce a savekit that is accepted for a competition)
but i can make a special version that can do that (if there is a demand).
for example: in the main-menu, you will choose if you want to have the original code, or the "special" code (with practice) etc).
i can offer a byte by byte comparison of the code (if needed)
i can also offer the source-code for the "original" one, that everybody (e.g. TG) could check the changes of the original code.
this means some work for me and i hope you understand, that i will do this only, if there is a demand for it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here some additional informations about the practice-modes:
there are the following practice-level-linups:

only barrel (starting from level1 -> 21) (the game will start with L=01, but only the barrel stage)
only pie factory (starting from level1 -> 21) (the same as barrel)
only elevator (starting from level1 -> 21) (the same as barrel)
only rivet (starting from level1 -> 21)(the same as barrel)

american lineup (starting from level 5->21, = barrel,pie factory,barrel,elevator,barrel,rivet) (the game will start with L=05)
japanese lineup (starting from level 5->21, = barrel,pie factory,elevator,rivet) (the game will start with L=05)

in all of these practice-modes you can slow down the game by pressing both start buttons. (that is for timing purposes). pressing the buttons again it'll go back to normal speed.

i hope i could answer some questions.
if there are more questions, feel free to ask.

Greetings
Jochen

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 05:42:35 am »
Thank you!  I think this answers the questions, none of the main logic is affected by using this kit.  I will look into getting this kit, as the american lineup appears to start at level 5 on the practice mode.  The software reset feature is also very nice.
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Some answers to questions from member Tilt
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 11:04:35 am »
in all of these practice-modes you can slow down the game by pressing both start buttons. (that is for timing purposes). pressing the buttons again it'll go back to normal speed.

Kreygasm
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 07:17:19 pm »
So this baby can pull score data directly from the game's memory, eh...

Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?

Write some new software for this, connect it to a PC, and voila, you could do pace calculation/game stats.

Sirs, this is definitely a product worth considering! You might not have any idea what I'm talking about, but we all number-crunch our DK games, so an automated data feed directly from the game's memory would definitely sell around here.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener