Author Topic: Beat Lvl 4 Springs! Need help perfecting.  (Read 3637 times)

Offline QuikThumbs

• Awards
Beat Lvl 4 Springs! Need help perfecting.
« on: July 12, 2018, 11:30:02 am »
Wasn't sure where to post this topic.

Yesterday I cleared the Lvl 4 springs for the first time. Having bad eyes, I watched where the springs LANDED, rather than where they entered. If a spring lands equal with the first elevator, I am able to pass under it and rest my heels ontop of the second elevator. I ran to the ladder when a spring passed over me that landed to the left of that first elevator, and I was able to pass.

Unfortunately this only worked once, so I need practice on retreating. Again, my eyes aren't that great, so I have to rely on where springs land. After I run under that first spring, (having rested my heels atop the second elevators) where does the next spring have to land to ensure a safe trip to the ladder?
Member for 6 Years

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
Re: Beat Lvl 4 Springs! Need help perfecting.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:07:26 pm »
https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=492.0

Spring theory thread - should answer your questions.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Grotto King

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:07:20 am »
You and I are in the same place, as so many have before, which is evident by the suggested post on Spring Theory above. I've come to the point where I feel good about each board and how to clear it, and the Level 4 springs is really the last thing I have to conquer. After all the reading I've done, it appears you just have to learn how to monitor the springs on your way to the ladder, and learn to climb or retreat without looking at Jumpman. I purchased the pacer/trainer board for my Donkey Kong, which allows me to slow down the overall speed of the level, allowing me to get used to watching the springs. I really think that's the only thing you can do.

Good luck - I'd like to hear about your progress!
Member for 5 Years

Offline QuikThumbs

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 10:23:29 am »
Grotto: If I reach perfection I'll shoot you a PM. :)
Member for 6 Years

Offline mad4175889

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 02:48:49 pm »
I’m starting to get a feel for when to retreat and when to make the attempt up the ladder based on the sort of rhythm of the bouncing spring. It’s not 100% yet but I think this is the key to getting passed this extremely difficult test.
Member for 6 Years

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 07:46:21 am »
Very simple reduction of how to conquer the springs:

When at the top platform, preparing to get into position near Kong - foot, foot
When in position near Kong, preparing to run up the ladder - feet, balls

Preparing to get into position near Kong - watch for a spring to land at Kong's foot, then watch for the next spring to land at Kong's foot.  If it lands at Kong's foot, go.  If it doesn't, wait for the next spring
Preparing to run up the ladder - watch for a spring to land at Kong's foot, then watch for the next spring to land under his balls.  If it lands under his balls, go as soon as the spring that landed at his foot is over your head.

Ultimately, it just takes a lot of practice, but if you've got the basic technique, it gets easier with every try.  There's certainly a lot more in-depth information at the thread linked above, and you can see there how far you can cheat forward safely, once you are in position near Kong preparing to go up the ladder.

And don't worry, you think the springs are your last major hurdle, but once you conquer them, you will realize barrels are the real problem.  ;)  >:(
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline 1971printer

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 03:21:03 pm »
I'm slowly learning DK and this is where I'm at.  Lost all 4 lives at this point, didn't make it to the second safe spot..
Practice and more practice...
Member for 5 Years Twitch Streamer