General Donkey Kong Discussion > The Kong Off

KO3 Format and Qualification Discussion

(1/10) > >>

TheSunshineFund:
I had suggested a March Madness style bracket for the first Kong Off.  It was discussed in detail but never implemented.  I think it would make for the best spectator event for non-expert DK spectators.

Milehighdt:
I like the idea of a head to head tournament and to give it a more random element it should be no-hammer. I would get a kick out of watching the rivet stages. If that is too much randomness each head to head battle could have two restarts or best two out of three games.

hchien:
I agree a bracket tournament would be more interesting for the average spectator to watch.  The only problem with that system is with 1 game (or even best of 3), most people would just run boards.  I'd probably run boards until I faced say one of the 1.1M players. 

I also thought about a handicap system.  The one josephjo suggested pretty much amounts to subtracting your PB.  The only problem with that is that DK high scores are not linear in terms of skill level past say 900-950K.  You can say a 800K player is twice as good as a 400K player, but a 1M player is MORE than twice as good as a 500K player.  And a 1.1M player is a lot more than twice as good as a 550K player.  I could probably work out some mathematical scoring system/handicap based on your PB (which I've thought about before) which would assume 1.2M is the max, but it'd just confuse everyone.  BTW, under that handicap system, I'm pretty sure Allen Staal won the first WC rematch.  Congrats!

Jeffw:
Yeah bracket could be interesting for spectators, but it could also be very boring. Assuming that you can see your opponents game as you are playing your own, it is in your best interest to play through the boards as slowly as possible (but without losing points or taking extra risks) so that you are always behind your opponent. This will give you the luxury of finishing second and knowing exactly what score you need to beat.

I could see a viable strategy, especially in games of top players vs top players, being to just wait at the top of the barrel screen jumping barrels for as long as possible (and maybe also leaching the fireball on elevators). Sure you will lose some points from wild barrels but being able to finish second is a huge advantage and may compensate for the loss of points. You could end up in situations where both players are employing this strategy at the top of barrels and that wouldn't be too fun for either players or spectators.

JohnTheLawnMan:
Are you guys talking single or two player games?

Because if your talking a two player game, forget it!  I had that brilliant idea a while back.  I was going to call it the "Old School Arcade Rules Tournament."  It sounded awesome, in theory.  Players going head to head in two player games,  with a bracket and everything.  Then the last two battle it out for the championship.

I pitched the idea to Eric in mid December, and we gave it a test at Richie's during his grand opening on the 21st.

I was all excited about it, until we actually did it.  I wanted to shoot myself in the head less than half way through.  First off, it was boring was F@*k.  It was less entertaining than watching paint dry.  It also took fooooooooooreeeeeeeveeeeeer.  A tournament in that style would be an epic fail.

One good thing was that I filmed the entire thing with commentary.  The final produced video is going to be hillarious!

I'm pretty sure we're going to stick with standard "high score wins in designated time frame" format.  That alone is a decent amount of work to organize and track.

-John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version