Author Topic: How often do the upper level Donkey Kong players get P.M.ed/emailed?  (Read 12795 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I ask that because if you look at the member list, most of the upper level Donkey Kong players like Hank Chien, Dean Saglio, and Mark Kiehl do not have their email available.  I know being an upper level Donkey Kong Junior, and Donkey Kong 3 player doesn't get me a ton of P.M's or emails.   I would say I get P.M.ed about 2 or 3 times a year asking me advice on Donkey Kong Junior or Donkey Kong 3.  Almost always about Donkey Kong 3.  It's not a lot of stress since it rarely happens.

Just wondering if for the top level Donkey Kong players this is different, and they actually get many more PM's or Emails asking them for help in one thing or another in regards to Donkey Kong?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: How often do the upper level Donkey Kong players get P.M.ed/emailed?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 05:25:54 pm »
Personally, it sometime happens that people ask me for help about Donkey Kong (mainly on Facebook). It's people I know (some started playing not so long ago, but most of them are known players in the community).

I obviously don't get a lot of PM asking me for help, just occasionaly from the same people.

Usually, Hank will ask me some beginner's stuffs about Donkey Kong like:"Vincent, when I jump over a barrel, sometime I don't even get any points, I don't get it! Why?"
:"Why are the pies always changing direction on the conveyer when I want to jump over a pie? They always change direction when I'm midair!I always end up landing on it!"
:"I saw you play, and how do you do the trick that allows you to gain points when you jump beside Kong on the rivet? Are you allowed to do that? I thought only Steve Wiebe knew how to do that trick!"

I mean, I love helping beginners. But helping Hank is so time-consuming and long...
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:45:21 pm »
I think I have been contacted by people I didn't know for Junior questions like twice since '09, both through youtube. I've never been contacted for Donkey Kong advice. I do give advice often for both games though, but that's usually for people I already know through the streams.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 06:26:29 pm »
I do give advice often for both games though, but that's usually for people I already know through the streams.

Some of us actually listen to your advice. ;D
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

hchien

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:56:47 pm »
I get hate mail/posts almost daily from some guy named Vincent on facebook.   He says he's a body builder.  xermon54, can you beat him up for me?

Seriously though, once maybe every couple of weeks.  Usually they fall into one of the following categories:

1- hate mail

2- congratulations

3- advice on how to start playing DK/how to get better

4- update on their DK progress

It's not so bad and I enjoying reading most of it and it's exciting to hear other people excited about the game.  I respond to most messages I get.  Although it's tiresome answering to #3 over and over and most of the time people don't ask specific questions (I actually co-wrote a DK FAQ with ChrisP to answer #3 so in the future I could just respond with a link).  Just a "can you give me some tips?"  Where do you begin with a question like that?

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:00:51 am »
It saddens me that Hank gets hate mail.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

hchien

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:17:35 am »
Via Twitter

I don't feel bad posting this.  It was on twitter, so it was meant to be public.  Happened about 1-2 months ago.

(Akuma‏@Demun_Ragin)
@Hank_Chien You pull the fortune cookies over my eyes with you scam of a 18min dvd...mutha sucka!!! You made doctor $$ per min on it!!!!!!!!

(Akuma‏@Demun_Ragin)
@Hank_Chien @Kapilkafish @zaphlex OMG 18mins of boring garbage minus the one nipple scene, but thats it...sucka!!!!!!!!!http://mega64.com

(Hank Chien‏@Hank_Chien)
@Demun_Ragin sorry you did not enjoy doctor kong, but there is no need to be rude about it.

(Akuma‏@Demun_Ragin )
@Hank_Chien @newjackuncut2 @mega64official Do not dare talk to Akuma in that tone or you shall face his wrath mutha sucka....!!!!!!

He called for backup and didn't get any help.  LOL.  So time for me to call for my backup.  Can anyone with good twitter skills hunt down this guy's contact info?  I'd love to get him on the phone or better yet Richie's show.

Billy Mitchell always has a plan; Hank Chien always has a comeback.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:13:20 am by hchien »

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 08:31:43 am »
The guy should be shamed, at least, for actually typing "mutha sucka" > 0 times in his life
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 08:54:43 am »
Haha, I love that type of research, I'll email you my results since I do t want to post all that here. Quick google trail led to some stuff. No one I know though.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 09:21:25 am »
I do get quite about of questions about my Games of DKJR and DK on  FB and my   Youtube channel.

Yes i do get Hate Mail allso.  Becouse I'm Brian Allen  I guess.

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 09:59:38 am »
Jeez, never thought you would get hatemail Hank...or hate-tweets.  I like your idea of tracking them down though...let us know what happens...!
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 02:04:13 pm »
Look at the comments on my History of the World Record article. Several people seem to think that Hank is cheating somehow.

The movie was pretty effective in fostering the idea that only two people could be this good at Donkey Kong!

(Also, Robert Mruczek himself wrote a novella-length response to the article, so if you haven't looked at the comments in a while, I would recommend them...)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:06:14 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

hchien

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 04:53:19 pm »
Not the first (and I'm sure not the last) time I will be called a cheater...

I was saying here (https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=59.msg541#msg541) that my hate mail usually falls into one of 2 types:

"I broke your record, m****** f*****.  I got 2,437,350."

OR

"You're a cheater and everyone knows it!  [Billy Mitchell/Steve Wiebe] forever!"

Break the WR at Funspot and win KO1 yet people still think you're a cheater.  I actually laugh at these PMs/comments.

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 05:12:35 pm »
I wonder if Steve Wiebe received any hate mails. I'm pretty sure he did, for no accurate reasons. Probably not as much as Billy (hopefully, lol)
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 05:28:14 pm »
Cheater!! :D
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger