Author Topic: Kong Off 4 update  (Read 9054 times)

hchien

Kong Off 4 update
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:51:48 am »
from Richie/CAGDC (http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,5873.msg69847):

4/30/2014 update;
I am closing in on my desired number of Donkey Kongs.  I still have yet to lock in a sponsor Love the idea of a bracket style single/double? elim contest structure but I want everyone of the 12 top seats on DK to have a voice. Still no final decisions made. First I want to secure a large prize purse, then start talking turkey. To whom it was, who expressed concern about holding the Kong Off 4 at my tiny arcade: Have no fear. I secured a 2nd 2000 Sq foot section of my strip mall just for the Kong Off. This means my lineup of 49 games will be on free play for all who attend to play and if you wanna watch the Donkey Kong action just walk next door to The Kong Off 4!

email any questions to

richie@richieknucklez.com
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:55:53 am by hchien »

lakeman421

Re: Kong Off 4 update
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:00:05 am »
Has Richie looked at any suggestions on here?  I don't know how often he looks at DKF, but I know a few of us like the single elimination/wild card idea.  I can always shoot him an email just in case.

Offline RichieKnucklez

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:56:36 pm »

more to come....

~RK
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 04:08:41 pm »
I like the traditional kong off, I'm not an advocate of the bracket system. It's a long and costly trip for me to play a bracket system that can knock you out if you have one bad game. But I will go with the majority on it.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

cheetah33p

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 05:20:47 pm »
Yeah I agree with Dave on this one!  I like everything traditional like it always has been!  Just based on the scores!  If a person is travelling a far distance and only play like 1 or 2 games like single or double elim and they are out, then its kind of a wasted trip for them!  I didn't really like the Bracket format that much!  From all the Kong Off's I've watched since the 1st one online, I enjoyed watching everything traditional and original!  I played in a Bracket tournament once in billiards and the match that I lost, the next person told me that I should've continued on because of how good that I was doing!  But it was only single elimination and that was it!  I didn't get my chance at all to play the next person!  So I just agree with Dave! 

WCopeland

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 06:08:09 pm »
I can understand a bracket-based tournament because it's better for the viewers.  You have to consistently play well rather than just have a brilliant one-off game.

I think there are merits and downsides to both formats.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 07:20:26 pm »
Both is the obvious answer  <Billy>
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 07:20:48 pm »
I still think there are a lot of hybrid concepts that may serve more than not. Adding new elements keeps it exciting, retaining old elements keeps it consistent (or add whatever term you link most appropriate).

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 12:55:26 am »
I'm split too.  As a view I would like the bracket.  As a competitor I would rather play the original way.
J
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 09:39:33 am »
Not sure if I was in the top 12 I'd make the long trip just to get 1 quarter play from a single elimination. Although the 49 other free games do sound enticing. But it's really the top 12 should have a vote about it.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer