Author Topic: Top 5 Favorite Console Games  (Read 18656 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Top 5 Favorite Console Games
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 06:03:18 pm »
#1.) Quake III: Arena (PC): Quite simply, the best first-person shooter engine of all-time.  Q3A, and the numerous mods it spawned, kept me busy playing FPS for the better part of a decade.  All other FPS are second-best.

YES! I totally forgot this one. I concur. I also liked Unreal Tournament quite a bit.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 07:52:08 pm »
1) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

This game brings me so much Kreygasm . I love Mario rpg's, but this one has a beautiful story, beautiful gameplay.

2) Super Paper Mario

The gameplay wasn't as good as the one above, but the story on this game is fking  BibleThump .

3) Super Mario RPG

Come on, this game is fking genius! A lot of humor, amazing fights, funny story.

4) Super Mario Galaxy 2

Because only stubborn people think Super Mario Galaxy 1 is better than the 2nd one. Right, mister Chien?  <Allen>

5) Super Mario Sunshine

Because I fricking love how you control Mario in this game. You can do so much move it's  Kreygasmatic.

Oh yer mates, I fking love Mario Games!
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline alumbrada

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 08:52:53 pm »
1) Katamari Damacy (PS2) and sequels
The music is great, the premise is wacky, the perfect game, I love it so much!!

2) Journey (PS3)
A truly stunning, beautiful game. Interaction with online players is key to "getting" it. Again, phenomenal music! The only downside is that it's VERY short. This is a must-play!

3) LittleBigPlanet (PS3)
An off-the-wall platformer that makes you think outside the box. Another one with an awesome soundtrack! So much fun.

4) Return to Zork (PC)
One of the first PC games I played that came on a CD instead of floppy disks. Also the first game I used a printed walkthrough guide to finish.

5) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
This is the Mario game I played most growing up. I didn't have an NES so had to play it at random friend and cousin's houses.

Honorable Mentions: Final Fantasy VIII (PS1) and XII (PS2)
I love these games but don't have the spare time to play them!
DK high score: 89,100
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 04:53:25 am »
In no particular order:

1) Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ (PS3, also XBOX360 and Steam)
I personally think this is one of the greatest video games made in the last decade. A follow-up to 2007's Pac-Man Championship Edition, the two are often confused. DX was released in 2010 and took the Pac-Man of the 80s arcades and turned it into a game for the modern crowd: fast-paced, visually stimulating, online leaderboards, endless replay value. An update with new levels was released last year and the game was re-branded with the "+".

2) Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Much like Journey for PS3, this game is largely about the overall experience. Some games are all about hardcore skill <Billy>, while others are about immersing yourself in another world. SotC is a beautiful game with great music, but it's not without its challenges. Defeating Gaius' Hard Time Attack is one of the most frustrating and rewarding things I've ever done in gaming.

3) Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
A classic that needs no introduction. While Genesis franchises generally play 2nd fiddle to Nintendo franchises in popularity and critical acclaim the early Sonic games were masterpieces in level-design and music. Someday I will be making speed/score runs on this title.

4) Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar (Genesis)
Yes, "Lightening" with an "e". This game is part of the Thunder Force series but was renamed for NA consumers. I'm generally horrible at shoot 'em ups, whether they be vertical or horizontal, but I have a love for this game that stretches back to the days when renting games from the video store was a special occasion. I remember figuring out one of the cheat codes on my own and this allowed me to play all the way to end of the game. As a result, this was the first game I truly tried to break down and learn. It's not without its faults (serious leeching opportunities and massive slowdowns), but the music is probably the best-produced of any Genesis game. The programmers really pulled everything out of the sound chips with this one.

5) Final Fantasy VIII, X, XII (PS1, PS2)
Picking three Final Fantasy games is cheating for a "top 5" list, but I couldn't narrow it down from these titles. I could write pages on each of these three games, so I'll be as brief as possible:

VIII: Pure nostalgia and great music make up for the broken "Junction" system and relatively uninteresting story.
X: A spiritual story that I feel can reach most people who pay attention, as opposed to so many RPGs that involve an arbitrary "oh no our kingdom is being attacked!" storyline.
XII: AMAZING music and a fresh battle system. If you like to grind and love super-bosses with tens of millions of HP, this one is for you.

Honorable Mentions: Penguin Land (SMS) and all the games Katie mentioned Kappa
Penguin Land is a relatively unknown puzzle platformer for the Master System. Not terribly difficult and once you know the route the only replay value is in doing it faster. The coolest thing about this game is that there is a level creator and that blew my mind when I was a wee lad.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 06:24:40 am »
4) Super Mario Galaxy 2

Because only stubborn people think Super Mario Galaxy 1 is better than the 2nd one.

I never played 2.  I'll let you know after I finish.  The Vice guys took a video of the dust on my SMG2 LOL.  It didn't make the final cut. BibleThump

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 12:16:42 am »
In no particular order:

NBA Hangtime - N64
1080 Snowboarding - N64
Mario Kart 64
Gran Turismo Series - PS1/2/3
Burnout Paradise - PS3

Other mentions:

Borderlands 2 - PS3
God of War Series - PS2/3
Infamous 2 - PS3
Final Fantasy 12/13 - PS3

Theres a crap ton of others!
Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 05:30:06 pm »
1. NHL 94 (SNES)
2. Halo CE (Xbox)
3. Starfox 64
4. Street Fighter II (SNES/Gen)
5. Super Punch Out (SNES)
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

repoman

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 03:58:52 pm »
Resident Evil 4 - played it on GameCube, PS2 and Xbox 360.  Great on all of them.

GRAW2 - the best co-op game of its generation. Back when Ubisoft were good.

Earth Defense Force 2025 - very grindy but at the hardest difficulty, it’s as tactical as a shooter gets.

Tenchu - PS1. Best stealth game ever.

Chime - brilliant puzzle game on the 360.  The sequel isn’t as good.

Offline repoman

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2022, 03:22:57 pm »
1.  Resident Evil 4.  It was such a step up from 3.  I completed it at least 7 times across GC and PS2.

2.  Dead Rising.  The first game of that generation that would have been impossible to make on the generation before.  Great design, humour, weapons, story and gameplay.

3. GRAW2.  The best co-op shooter of all time.

4. Chime.  Amazing puzzle game that is sort of like Tetris but vastly better.

5. Loop Hero.  Best thing on the Switch.  Into The Breach being a close second.
Member for 3 Years