Author Topic: Donkey Kong Monitor Advice  (Read 9099 times)

rob.hayes

Donkey Kong Monitor Advice
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:27:51 am »
Hey everyone this is my first post on this community. My DK monitor is getting pretty washed out and wavey. I think it may be time for a recap. I have read various places to just get the full Sanyo 20EZ cap kit from Bob Roberts and replace all of them. In my case is this necessary? I have soldered some but never as much as would be required for a full recap. I have a buddy who is pretty solid with a soldering iron but I would rather not bother him with this project. Can you guys maybe suggest which cap(s) should be replaced, or identify if there is another issue?

Thanks,

Rob
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:34:40 am by rob.hayes »

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Monitor Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:31 am »
I would cap the whole thing, you might as well if you're taking it out anyway, it's tough to narrow down which ones to replace to alleviate specific problems (at least as far as I know) and chances are they are all the same age anyway and should show issues at relatively the same rate.  Also measure your voltages while you're at it.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

rob.hayes

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:43:15 am »
Can people point me toward a good guide? I found this one http://www.arcaderestoration.com/Journals/1/Photo+Tutorials/4/Sanyo+20EZ+Cap+Kit.aspx. And I have the Sanyo 20EZ manual PDF that someone on here uploaded. I'm just nervous about my first recap.

Thanks,

Rob

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:44:52 am »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:56:11 am »
Agreed, replace all of the electrolytic caps and check your B+ voltage is 108VDC. If it isn't it's easily adjusted by tweaking VR601 on the chassis.

Take your time making sure the polarity of each cap is correct which is fairly straight forward.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:37:52 am »
Looks like your Donkey Kong entered a funhouse! :o

;)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 12:04:18 pm »
When you order from Bob Roberts, I believe he includes a map of all the capacitors (if not, I linked one below).  And I agree with everyone above, you might as well replace all of them if you're going to go through the trouble of taking out your board.  If one cap is failing, chances are the others are too.  Plus, trust me, the HARD part is taking the board out.  If you've ever done ANY soldering, the EASY part is the soldering.  (May not be true with other games)

The guide you found, is the same one I used to take out my board (and my cabinet survived LOL).

Sanyo 20EZ Cap Map:

http://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=2166.0

Robert Felstein (Jammvy) also has a series of 7 youtube videos for this:

[noembed]Donkey Kong nintendo Sanyo EZ Monitor CAP KIT job 2.flv[/noembed]

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I recall several people telling me that for DK it's actually easier to take out the ENTIRE monitor chassis than to just remove the board itself.  Maybe someone who has actually done this can chime in.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:14:05 pm by hchien »

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 12:30:44 pm »
Don't forget to discharge the monitor!  Dangerous voltages back there around the flyback. 
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

rob.hayes

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 02:07:25 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys. I contacted Bob Roberts about the cap kit deluxe. Now, I read the discharger he used to sell was good, however it is no longer for sale. I do not have a drill so I can't follow his instructions to build a replica. What to you suggest to discharge that boy? I read on forum where a guy used a long flat head with jumper cable attached to the shaft and then the metal frame.

Ideas?

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 02:15:43 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys. I contacted Bob Roberts about the cap kit deluxe. Now, I read the discharger he used to sell was good, however it is no longer for sale. I do not have a drill so I can't follow his instructions to build a replica. What to you suggest to discharge that boy? I read on forum where a guy used a long flat head with jumper cable attached to the shaft and then the metal frame.

Ideas?

Yep , a flathead screwdriver and a jumper wire with alligator clips attached on both ends is all you need.

Arcade Repair Tips - Safely Discharge An Arcade Monitor
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 03:52:21 pm »
Been posted before (I think), but always nice to bookmark as a key resource:

http://home.comcast.net/~mtpacifico/_KLOV/Sanyo%2020EZV%20Flow%20Chart.pdf
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer