Author Topic: I came up with a reality show idea involving DK3.  (Read 11198 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I came up with a reality show idea involving DK3.
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:44:09 am »
The show would be called "The Ringer"

Here is how the show would work.  It would originally start with 16 contestants who would all live in a house big brother style.  In the show it would have 15 contestants who are mostly into modern day games.  They are your typically reality show type of people.  They are beautiful, arrogant, alpha people who like to talk trash on others, and then you would have me.   And now here is how the rules of the reality show game would work.

Every single week two people are chosen by the group of people who are remaining to play a certain game for their survival.  You guest it.  That game would be Donkey Kong 3.  In fact every single week it would be Donkey Kong 3.  In the house there would be 4 different Donkey Kong 3 machines for the people to learn to play this game.

So this is why I think it would be so interesting.  Here I am the only person of the bunch who is not a beautiful, arrogant, alpha person.  I would sort of walk around the house being on the annoying side.  Just be my usually carefree self.  I would not let on that I was the Donkey Kong 3 champion.  So the first week or so it would become abundantly clear that I was the low man on the totem pole.  Since I would have such a low social ranking no one would notice really that I wasn't playing on one of the 4 Donkey Kong 3 machines in the house.  They would assume I knew my place as the others practiced to get better.

So the comedy gold would happen during the first competition.   They would chose me, and someone else they didn't like to go against me.   They would probably think I was easy pickings since I didn't even touch the machine that week.  The other 14 would be allowed to watch me go head to head.  Soon they would realize that I was much, much, much better than I was letting on as I completely destroy whoever they have go against me.

Now of course this is where the show gets interesting.  Now the group dynamics completely get turned on their head.  Now they would realize I was a force to reckoned with.   Now all of a sudden the 14 other Alpha people would realize that yes, they would be clear favorites in almost any other competition but in this one area they are far behind, and have 14 weeks to somehow catch up to me.

Now all of a sudden people are trying to team up with me.  Trying to come to me for advice on how to play the game.  All of a sudden my social ranking sky rockets simply because in order to have success in the game you need to be able to be good at Donkey Kong 3.  I think at first I would be considered the "Good Guy" because I am not like the other people, but soon I think that would change.  After a few weeks I would probably become the "Bad Guy" simply because I would have such a clear advantage, and now I have a lot more power than I did the first week out, and people like to root for the underdog.  Something I clearly would not be.

So what do you think of the idea?  I like it because I feel it's a great study on group dynamics in a way that I don't think has been done on television before.  Also I would be the star of the show, and that would be pretty cool. 8)

Edit: maybe calling it "The Ringer" wasn't the greatest idea.  I have a feeling this thread might get a few "The Ringer" movie youtube clips. ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:15:13 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

Re: I came up with a reality show idea involving DK3.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:53:27 am »
The problem with this is it would only last one season.  Once people know the premise, you lose the surprise factor and it's no longer fun to watch.  Have you ever seen "Joe Millionaire"?  It only lasted one season for a reason.  But that one season was great.

You might be able to stretch your idea out to 2 seasons if you pulled a "reverse reverse" on people by having someone like Vincent (charismatic/alpha male) in the mix.

EDIT: BTW, George Leutz (aka DKF anti-Christ) and Alexis (director of Doctor Kong) were actually working on a reality TV show involving arcade games.  We have lots of show biz connections at Barcade HQ.  I'm not sure what became of it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:28:53 pm by hchien »

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 02:56:29 pm »
 :o

You kill me, George.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:58:52 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 11:26:11 am »
Great idea George.  The only thing I'd do is to change the game each season (filming being done between seasons air) with a new "star" who is a master at that game.  Same social experiment etc just keep it fresh for longevity.
Kappa
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 05:25:53 pm »
I actually still like this idea.   8)
And yeah having a different champion each season to switch it up would be a good idea, even if you are being sarcastic about it.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 06:54:03 pm »
Well, semi-sarcastic of course, but it could actually make the show work.  you never know! <popcorn>
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing

Offline Max

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 07:17:27 pm »
Comedy Gold...

Season two could be a house filled with DKF members and one main stream game playing ringer competing against the main stream game.

Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

DiggingInNY

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 04:23:10 am »
The biggest beef I have with competition based reality programs is that it's not about the competition, but about the drama. Reality programs are the worst thing ever to happen to television, which is why I don't watch TV. Let it be solely about the games, no big brother format. You will end up making it no different than any other show. I understand the idea of bringing it to the masses, but you will end up ruining the hobby for many of us. I had to be the downer. Carry on.

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 07:19:40 am »
The biggest beef I have with competition based reality programs is that it's not about the competition, but about the drama. Reality programs are the worst thing ever to happen to television, which is why I don't watch TV. Let it be solely about the games, no big brother format. You will end up making it no different than any other show. I understand the idea of bringing it to the masses, but you will end up ruining the hobby for many of us. I had to be the downer. Carry on.

Well you are lucky in that so far it's been rejected by all the networks we've pitched it to Kappa
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 05:19:18 pm »

Yar. It's not reality TV when you know you are being filmed for television and you are put in unrealistic and extremely improbable situations. But, then again, it's hard not to watch some of the ones where they occasionally teach you something about history and stuff. Then, there's also the schadenfreude. It is sometimes enjoyable to watch others make arses of themselves. For the right price, I'd probably make an arse of myself, too. I have a price in mind, actually... <Sanders>
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 05:45:10 pm »
Hey, I make an arse out of myself for free on a regular basis. <Roy>

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

DiggingInNY

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 07:54:33 pm »

Yar. It's not reality TV when you know you are being filmed for television and you are put in unrealistic and extremely improbable situations. But, then again, it's hard not to watch some of the ones where they occasionally teach you something about history and stuff. Then, there's also the schadenfreude. It is sometimes enjoyable to watch others make arses of themselves. For the right price, I'd probably make an arse of myself, too. I have a price in mind, actually... <Sanders>

I feel that it is way overdone at this point and I am surprised that this genre of TV has lasted for so long. I could never see myself involved with one. I'm very camera shy.

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 07:31:08 am »
It's because reality shows are cheap to produce. Cheaper actors usually at least to start, less scripts, less rehearsal, less props, less sets, less overhead for same income for more profits. They got much bigger after a writers strike cuz they were forced to do without. I don't really watch any tv, almost all of it sucks.
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -

DiggingInNY

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 01:33:14 pm »
It's because reality shows are cheap to produce. Cheaper actors usually at least to start, less scripts, less rehearsal, less props, less sets, less overhead for same income for more profits. They got much bigger after a writers strike cuz they were forced to do without. I don't really watch any tv, almost all of it sucks.
That I know, but the thing is that we have a tendency to milk things for everything its worth down to the last drop and we have attention spans of a fly. I thought of it as nothing more than a silly fad that would die out quickly and then we move on to the next dumb thing.

Zmick_tricK

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 03:50:57 pm »
The problem with this is it would only last one season.  Once people know the premise, you lose the surprise factor and it's no longer fun to watch.  Have you ever seen "Joe Millionaire"?  It only lasted one season for a reason.  But that one season was great.
I never saw it, but I did see both seasons of Joe Schmoe. Both were great <popcorn>

For those unfamiliar, it was a "reality" show in which all but one "contestant" was an actor taking on a character and following a script to create fake drama to see how the one non-actor would react. The second season, they tried to do it with two people, but one of them saw through the ruse and the producers decided to tell her the truth and to pay her in exchange for her becoming one of their actors :D

Some of the best/worst TV ever.