Author Topic: The Verge feature on Kong Off 3  (Read 12567 times)

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: The Verge feature on Kong Off 3
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 07:57:52 am »
Kinda funny to think about the positive effect Mark indirectly had on this documentary. Consider how important Mike G. was to the story (the personal friend/"silver lining" at the end) and think about how if Mark had taken his spot, Mike would have been a wildcard and the whole thing would have played out differently.

marky_destiny

Yea I was kinda thinking about exactly that yesterday.  I think the doc would have done just fine without me...but you're right I may have flopped and not even made it to Sunday if Mark hadn't given up his spot. 
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 12:10:00 pm »
yeah this was really great work... very well done film, and a brilliant player profile, really nailed what its like to be a kong player... Loved it...

8)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:11:57 pm by Fast Eddie »

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 06:50:59 pm »
I wrote an article, uh, about the article:
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com/2013/12/shaun-boyd-proves-something-to-verge.html

(Also, while I'm at it, I should mention that I recently created a "Since King of Kong" timeline, if anybody wants to read through it and tell me what to correct, or suggest additional notes: http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com/p/since-king-of-kong.html)

Hey Chris, I just noticed this post and checked out your "post 2007" timeline.  Excellent job on that!

I have not read through the whole thing yet but there were a few details about your description of the earlier years that are lacking and/or inaccurate . . .

First, one minor point -- the article lists my 1.051m point game as my first kill screen, but actually my previous high score game of 1,026,700 was my first kill screen.

More importantly, I think some attention needs to be paid to the "Live Verification Rule" that TG imposed during the 2008 timeframe and how this (mostly negatively) impacted the high score chase during that time.  Specifically, probably the top active player (besides Billy and Steve) at that time was Scott Kessler.  He had self-reported a score of over 1 Million points and I believe he included some sort of picture of his score with his post -- I believe this occurred on a true DK arcade cabinet but I could be wrong on that point.  Unfortunately, because of the "Live Verification Rule", he was NOT recording his games at this time.  He explained that he did not want to be put into a situation where he had to decide near the end of a great game whether to kill it off at 999,900 points a screen or two away from the end or to play it out and become "disqualified". 

As a parallel timeline of sorts, players "streaming" their games was just at its infancy -- I remember stumbling onto that piece of the community mostly by freak luck sometime in 2008 when pretty much just John Marks, Ben Falls and Ross Benziger were taking turns streaming their games and watching each other play -- perhaps the first real collaborative effort on this game.  This was when I was still a 300 - 500k player and Ross was routinely putting up close calls on his Million Point March, which was being documented in a (then) fresh new thread over on the TG forums where some of these guys were posting their point pressing ideas and keeping each other up to speed on their high score progress, which at some point included Kessler.  The fact that Kessler was not streaming his games was not unusual as any streaming at all was very uncommon.  Most players who were active at that time fully believe Kessler's claims of a 1M+ score which was never submitted due to TG rules.

As Hank started getting more serious scores perhaps a half-year later or so, there was already a lot more talk within the TG forum and within the TG referee staff about reversing the "Live" rule, and I believe that my MAME score that beat Billy's arcade WR was an important step in that direction.  When Hank got his million point game live at Richie's arcade and also submitted a taped game to TG of around 1.03 M (I forget the order in which these events happened), TG was pretty much forced to reverse this rule at that point.  I believe the fact that Hank did it live at Richie's arcade was important.

The problem is that at least one player, Kessler, had reached TG's arbitrary ceiling and then retired from the game, having nothing more that he could do with the game on the arcade platform that would be allowed by TG -- and who knows how many other up-and-coming players were turned off earlier in their progress by this rule and moved on before reaching their potential.

I'll be sure to check out the rest of your timeline soon, but I think for someone to really understand how things were post-KOK, these details cannot be ignored.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 09:09:19 am »
I made almost the same exact comments on the blog.  I feel those 2 events were actually THE MOST crucial events post-KoK

1- Scott Kessler's 1M game (Tim's 1M games were around the same time, but they were not publically known at the time).

Scott's 1M game was definitely on arcade, as I remember the screenshot he posted clearly.  This game (and Dean's subsequent 1.026M) were more or less the foreshadowing of bigger games to come and the onslaught of the newer generation of players.

2- the imposition and subsequent lifting of the 1M+ live verification rule

Does anyone know the exact day the rule went into effect?  I know they were lifted on 11/24/09 (the date the new recording rules went into effect).

When Hank got his million point game live at Richie's arcade and also submitted a taped game to TG of around 1.03 M (I forget the order in which these events happened), TG was pretty much forced to reverse this rule at that point.  I believe the fact that Hank did it live at Richie's arcade was important.

There's a lot of confusion about my first 1M games partially because of the recording rules at the time but also because they happened close together.

My very first 1M game was 1.037M done at home on 9/13/09.  This game was only 1/2 recorded (I posted the end of the game on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omKrdaV5R4) and NOT submitted to TG.  It was not submitted because of the rules and because it was only 1/2 recorded (because of the rules).

My second 1M game was 2 weeks later (1.005M) live at Richie's on 9/26/09.  This game was fully recorded and although performed live with many reputable witnesses, there was no senior TG ref present.  It was submitted to TG despite (not in spite of) the rules because the community consensus was to submit it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvrXDjHnQGY  It was not verified until months later (when the rule was lifted) to be consistent with their own rules.

As Dean said, I think there was already internal chatter about changing the rules.  Scott/Dean's earlier 1M games set the precedence and I think my game was the last straw.  And I agree with Dean, my 1M at home didn't seem to cause as many ripples as the 1M live. 

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 01:49:39 pm »
Yeah, Kessler getting the first post-KoK million seems really obvious now. I don't know why I didn't include that. But I agreed as soon as I saw Hank's comment, and Dean's.

One of my objectives was to make this timeline concise, and to concentrate more on events/players that would do something "big" later, so I was sort of in a mode of "keep it simple."

The live rule is important too, I agree. That was the other item I was mulling over.

That period was years before I actually started playing, and I only lurked back then, and the lurking was really just to check in once every few months, so I wasn't really there to "feel" the importance of that rule.

Now I'm starting to feel guilty that I might have hijacked this thread...  ::)

EDIT: We can continue this discussion here:
https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=705.msg12758#msg12758
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:48:07 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener