Author Topic: Lets keep George from being homeless this holiday season.  (Read 18138 times)

JohnTheLawnMan

Re: Lets keep George from being homeless this holiday season.
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 11:13:06 am »
Screw $300!  Like Ken said, lets crank it up and get at least $600.  It will get
George well into the New Year, and without the pressure of paying a couple months rent, he will be able to focus on finding work.

With the amount of people we have in the classic gaming community, we can do it with very little sacrifice on our end.  Tis' the season!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:15:23 am by JohnTheLawnMan »

JohnTheLawnMan

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 11:23:26 am »
$25.00 sent.

Now someone better knock out 2,500 on MAME Armor Attack so George can get another $25.00!

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 04:00:44 pm »
I'll give it a try John but if my Gravitar playing is the barometer then there is trouble.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

DiggingInNY

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 04:02:03 pm »
I don't know they guy, but I'll stream some Mappy and donate $10.00 for every 100,000 points on my best game.

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 04:03:07 pm »
Screw $300!  Like Ken said, lets crank it up and get at least $600.  It will get
George well into the New Year, and without the pressure of paying a couple months rent, he will be able to focus on finding work.

With the amount of people we have in the classic gaming community, we can do it with very little sacrifice on our end.  Tis' the season!

I concur I hope he can get at least $600 to not sweat on this for at least a month. $300 is 15 days of rent if I read it correctly. I sent $25 and hopefully with everyone here he can perhaps get enough to not worry about it. If I was in the same boat I would really appreciate people doing the same for me.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline Dk_madness

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 05:54:26 pm »
Hey John,

I just put up a 4030 today on Armor Attack. Addicting game.

INP file should be attached. Used Wolfmame 106

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:25:29 pm by Estel »
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 06:18:12 pm »
Thank you everyone.  This literally brought tears to my eyes, and it is bringing tears to my eyes as I type.  Today I had a real doozy of a job rejection.  It was by far the worst rejection I had since I began searching for a job. A type of rejection that would have probably made me pack it in, in regards to searching for a job.  I think I would have lost complete faith in humanity, and myself if it wasn't amazing actions of you people.

OK, and the truth is I was much worse off than I even let on.  Over the past few months I sold a huge portion of my garbage Pail Kids collection.  I sold my Album, and 45 collection.  I sold off my sports card collection.  I gave away my Donkey Kong 3 machine.  I sold a vast majority of my classic video game collection I sold or gave away most of the books I had.  I threw out a bookcase, a coffee table, my sofa.   I had went to the swap meet several times in the past 5 months as well, and sold, or literally gave away many things as well.

And so the first of the month had come, and I still needed time to figure out exactly what I should keep for my car, and what I should throw out.  I actually had a deal worked out with my landlord to pay two weeks at a time instead of a month at a time.  I had about $250 left with a $126 check coming in for two weeks work of my part time tutoring job.  Which made $376.   I needed to pay $247.50 for two more weeks which would have left me  $129 left, but I had to pay $96 for my yearly car registration that was due on the 8th of this month, and $40 for car insurance for the month as well which was also due on the 8th.  Well you do the math, and I would be in the hole.  I was also a month behind in my electric bill, gas, credit card, and Internet.  Paying for those bills was actually an afterthought.

So I was resigned to my fate.  Try to somehow come up with $100 to $300 more dollars, and call it a day.    I couldn't go with my parents because both of them are dead.  I couldn't live with any of my family or friends because they all were either overcrowded to begin with or were living with other people who were not likely to let me in.  I thought my sister down the hill may have been an option, but in the beginning of November she also had problems of her own, and was forced to live her boyfriend with his two kids.   She told me straight out right before Thanksgiving that living with her would not be a possibility.

The only semi hope I had was with this person's grandpa that I tutored, and he offered a place to stay on the spur of the moment without clearing it with his son, and grandkid that I was tutoring.  Also when I called back to tell him I may extend this a couple of weeks it didn't seem so definite anymore.  He also has the beginning stages of Alzheimers, and so I wasn't sure how reliable it was.  Besides tutoring I barely even know them.

As you can see the $100 to $300 wasn't to stop from being homeless it was to get two more weeks, and some gas money and go on my marry way.  I was at a point where I was feeling completely rejected, and bitter at myself, and the world.   The motivating factor for me asking for help was just to say I did it if people asked me if I explored that avenue.  I wasn't expecting anything really at all. 

But what you have done now is great.  I now have enough money to pay for rent for all of December, and at least the first half of January while paying all of my bills.  Even the late ones!

Again if it wasn't for what you as a community have done I would have felt that almost no one besides my nephew, and 4 or 5 friends really cared about me.  My faith has been restored.  You know when I saw the first response was by Ken House I was almost positive he was going to rail on me for being a complete creep for asking for help.  I was wrong, I was very wrong as he has been in the lead for the whole thing.

Also one more thing.  Things I see things in a different perspective.  I was wasting away on my own money, and the drive wasn't so strong.  Now though because this is not only other people's money, but money from people that actually care about me, and actually want me get out of this hole I feel as if I owe it to all of you to do the best I can to find a full time job, and just go all out with this.

Thank you again.  To all of you.  Thank you.  This means so much to me.

"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

DiggingInNY

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 07:11:16 pm »
My best Mappy game was 257K. I'll chip in $25. Where should I send it to?

JohnTheLawnMan

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 06:22:53 am »
Send $ to  Paypal@athometech.com

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 07:58:58 am »
I am offering a last call on the "How to Win at Donkey Kong".  The copy that the winner receives will be in significantly BETTER condition than the one I pictured.  The charity auction will end in 48hrs (11am eastern time on Thursday, the 5th of December).  Thanks again for helping to support George everyone :)
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 08:47:14 am »
OK, good news.  I just applied to a truck company, and got accepted to their truck driving school.  While most people would have problems being away from their families weeks at a time, I don't mind since I don't have a wife or kids. 8)  Oh, and I wouldn't get a paycheck until mid January, and so your donations have made this possible since I can pay until mid January! :)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 08:53:17 am »
OK, good news.  I just applied to a truck company, and got accepted to their truck driving school.

Congrats George!
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 03:05:01 pm »
OK, good news.  I just applied to a truck company, and got accepted to their truck driving school.  While most people would have problems being away from their families weeks at a time, I don't mind since I don't have a wife or kids. 8)  Oh, and I wouldn't get a paycheck until mid January, and so your donations have made this possible since I can pay until mid January! :)

That's great to hear George! I'm glad to have helped out and sounds like things are looking up! Since I never got the friend request approved if not for Ken House I wouldn't have know about this (and I'm sure several others wouldn't have either). Thanks Ken for bringing this up here and to everyone who helped out here! Regardless of what people say I do feel this is what Christmas/Holiday Season is really about! Pay It Forward because one day you never know what side of the bed you may wake up on!

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays Everyone!

Dan

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 01:57:04 am »
Just to clarify, the email address for donating to George is athometech@paypal.com, correct?  I get paid on Friday, and just want to make sure I have the right info.  I'm happy to be a part of a community that cares.

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 04:13:21 am »
Just to clarify, the email address for donating to George is athometech@paypal.com, correct?  I get paid on Friday, and just want to make sure I have the right info.  I'm happy to be a part of a community that cares.

The email is PAYPAL@ATHOMETECH.COM not athometech@paypal.com...

Thanks everyone who continues to help George out. It looks like he has a plan and you all are making it possible.

I sent George all the money that was donated up until December 2 (Except for Fruitys which came in after I sent it). I will send what I have received since on Friday the 6th.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:19:37 am by Scoundrl »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer