Author Topic: Any other high maintenance player bringing their CP to KO3?  (Read 11974 times)

hchien

Any other high maintenance player bringing their CP to KO3?
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:59:12 am »
At KO1, there were 3 players (as far as I know) who brought their own CP.

At KO2, there was only 1 player (as far as I know) who brought their own CP.

This is directed at the top 12: how many of you are bringing your own CP?  Now I can get adjusted to pretty much any control panel after a few games but I figured I'd save the trouble.

Side question for the MAME players:  If KOs were held on MAME, would you bring your own keyboard?   I'd guess most MAME players would say yes.  So it makes me wonder why most people don't bring their own CP.

Offline lifereboot

• http://www.lifereboot.com
    • Awards
Re: Any other high maintenance player bringing their CP to KO3?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:30 am »
I always had concerns about bringing a control panel on a plane.  What if the airline took it away?

I also heard a rumor that one of your panel's connectors got broken on the return trip home, Hank?

Anyway, although I'm pretty nitpicky about my joystick and button I managed to find a machine I liked last year.  With even more cabinets to choose from this year, I'm not too concerned.  Furthermore, when I wanted something adjusted and my button replaced after the first day at the KO2, Jon was very quick at adjusting it to how I liked it.
lifereboot
DK personal best (arcade / 3 men) 1,037,500
http://www.lifereboot.com
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:48:26 am »
I always had concerns about bringing a control panel on a plane.  What if the airline took it away?

I would never try to bring it in a "carry-on".  I checked it in last year-- no problems.

I also heard a rumor that one of your panel's connectors got broken on the return trip home, Hank?

Yes.  One of the pins of the connector broke off.  This year I saved some Styrofoam packaging and was prepared to sink the pins into it to protect it.

But... if no one else is bringing theirs, I may leave it at home.  My own CP doesn't even feel like my own CP at the KOs anyway.

corey.chambers

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:20:13 am »
I think I would. But with the random machines that I will need to deal with will not be very fun. With jump timing all a little different.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:40:50 am »
Side question for the MAME players:  If KOs were held on MAME, would you bring your own keyboard?

I use a PS3 controller for MAME. However, the odds of them having a computer setup with the DS3 tool to recognize a PS3 controller are pretty low, so unless they were configured to use some other kind of console-style controller I would just plan on playing on a real cab or bringing an X-Arcade for MAME. In the event they were actually set up to recognize PS3 controllers, I would prefer to use my own.

In short, FU keyboard.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Drunkguy89

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 12:43:14 pm »
^^^  ;D

JohnTheLawnMan

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 01:52:26 pm »

FYI

*** The below applies to WILDCARD ONLY ***

Only players with dedicated machines will be able to use their own control panel.  That means you will
NOT be able to use your own control panel during the Friday live qualifier and Saturday round 1.  All Sunday Wildcard players have the option to use their own control panel.

If you have any questions or concerns on this, please write them down and then throw the paper you wrote them down on in the garbage.

-John

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 03:03:28 pm »
I'll be bringing one for Ross. He likes the short Mario Bros style stick and short throw button I have on the blue cab...

Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 03:05:49 pm »
I wasn't going to but now I have to show off the pool ball top.  ;D
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 03:09:24 pm »
My outlook is that with a Donkey Kong tournament that lasts 2 days, you're either going to play well and have the machine you're on give you a soft game (little to no screwings, easy barrels, lazy fireballs, lotsa free passes, etc)...which will return a 1M+ score...or you're in for a 2 day struggle to put up 800-900K.

If a soft game of DK would help me 25%, bringing my control panel might help maybe 2%.  In the end, it isn't worth the trouble in my opinion.  There are many other factors that trump bringing your own control panel (imo).  I'll hope for machine with some lucky games and try to play clean (no deaths from human errors)...and make the best with whatever control panel I get.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:40:25 pm by mikegmi2 »
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 03:54:25 pm »
I'm glad I changed my playing control methods over the last year to avoid some of the problems with different joysticks. Button timing is different, hopefully that can be easily fixed. As long as I have the longer joystick, I'll be set.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 04:30:15 pm »
Only players with dedicated machines will be able to use their own control panel.

Yeah I guess I should have made that more clear.  I directed the question to the top 12, although I appreciate everyone's input.  And also I forgot WC players have that option on Sunday too now.

Anyhow I forgot to mention that I learned last year from Jon that there are 2 different wiring harnesses for the DK CP.  Last year the machine I picked happen to have the opposite harness that my own CP had.  It was a bit of a hassle to swap it out although the 1-up staff was happy to help me.  I asked Jon to label the machines ahead of time this year so if you're bringing your own CP you can choose one with the same harness (I'm not that picky with the machines and had I known that beforehand I certainly could have found one I liked with the same harness).

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 04:46:48 pm »
I think with time being set aside for machine selection on Friday and with 12 players choosing from among 22 machines, it should be MUCH easier than past years for everyone to find a machine (and CP) that they like.

Personally, my main criteria is stool height.  I hope they have a lot more "short" stools to go around than they did in years past.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Winner of a community event Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 04:59:28 pm »
I prefer the control panels with the 8-way joysticks that play like a 4-way.  But I will also settle for a machine with Juiced ROMs.

Munteanfo

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 06:34:31 pm »
Personally, I'm not bringing my CP. The only thing I need to bring is some beer, and play beside Hank, and wait for him to go away from his machine.