Author Topic: Which other games do you guys play besides DK ?  (Read 12827 times)

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Which other games do you guys play besides DK ?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 01:25:27 pm »
Personally, I don't play a lot of games. But Super Mario 64, Tetris, World of Warcraft, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, the three Paper Mario's, Super Mario RPG, were my games before starting Donkey Kong.

I don't really play any other arcade game other than Donkey Kong, I might try to get good at Tetris (because there's a lot of competition, and that's what I like!).

If I really wanted a "competitive" game, I would play Starcraft 2... but only Koreans, I can't do 10 actions per second (mine is pretty much 10 actions.. per game, haha. /close enough).

Mike: League of Legends could be an interesting game to play. It's not a fast game like Starcraft 2, you don't need to play 12 hours per day like WoW to have the best gears, etc. And it's a very popular/competitive game (extremely popular on twitch.tv). Maybe that could be a good game to try!
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 01:29:18 pm »
Yeah, I play Dig Dug on my PS2 right now (I have the Namco Arcade Collection games for PS1). Eventually I will try to roll the machine at my local arcade, but I believe it has an 8-way joystick on it, so it is pretty tough to handle. I'll just have to practice more then.

It's possible to play it good on a 8 way stick but from time to time you will experience control f@ckups and you will dig in a total diferent direction. On the other hand everything is learnable so you just need to do everything super exact to make sure you get the right directions.

The power of a 8 way joystick LOL

Since I love the TGTS 5 man track for Dig Dug it's not the best to lose a life cause of a not proper working stick. Right now I use an x-arcade stick and I must say it works halfway decent.
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 01:50:40 pm »
Yeah, digging in the wrong direction is definitely the most common problem I have with the 8-way. It also causes me to die often by turning to the side rather than turning straight around when I am trying to do the quick turn-around-and-pump-them-once maneuvers. So annoying. But yeah, just gotta learn some safer patterns then and I won't have that trouble.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 02:19:45 pm »
Elevator Action always gives me headache, don't know why but maybe it's the permanent moving background due to the elevator movement or the music

Haha. The music...

At any time, no matter how many years it has been since I last played it or saw it played, I can bring that freaking Elevator Action music to mind, note for note.

doot, doot, doot, doo dee doo dee doo deeeee...

It's not the worst though.

Dig Dug I think is the worst. I like the game, but to me what's most impressive about harcore Dig Dug play is that they can endure the music. The tune isn't bad, it's just endless and very prominent. (And then of course there are the moments where it speeds up, just to drill it into your skull even harder.)

The DK music is nice because it just sort of fades into the background. The jump sound starts to get taxing after a while though.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Dustin(tiptop)Myers

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 06:35:51 pm »
I like to play Centipede, Ms. Pacman, Mr.Do and popeye. once in a while Burger Time. However, Donkey Kong is the game I play most of the time.
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 03:33:53 am »
Yeah, digging in the wrong direction is definitely the most common problem I have with the 8-way. It also causes me to die often by turning to the side rather than turning straight around when I am trying to do the quick turn-around-and-pump-them-once maneuvers. So annoying. But yeah, just gotta learn some safer patterns then and I won't have that trouble.

Yeah guess you need to work to make your patterns save, simple patterns that don't require a too strict timing should be doable on a 8 way stick as well.

If you don't play for max points yet it's not a big deal to lose some points and a life from time and you can always get a good 4 way stick after you mastered the game to a certain level or if the 8 way stick annoys you too much  :)

Haha. The music...

At any time, no matter how many years it has been since I last played it or saw it played, I can bring that freaking Elevator Action music to mind, note for note.

doot, doot, doot, doo dee doo dee doo deeeee...

It's not the worst though.

Dig Dug I think is the worst. I like the game, but to me what's most impressive about harcore Dig Dug play is that they can endure the music. The tune isn't bad, it's just endless and very prominent. (And then of course there are the moments where it speeds up, just to drill it into your skull even harder.)

The DK music is nice because it just sort of fades into the background. The jump sound starts to get taxing after a while though.

Believe it or not I really like the Dig Dug music, at least I never got headaches from playing Dig Dug so this must be a exclusive Elevator Action feature LOL
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:37:39 am by KIG666 »
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 12:16:55 pm »
Like Steve, I tend to play games that will be in tournaments because I like to compete.  Sometimes I really like the games and continue to play afterwards.  It's a good feeling to find a "new" game that you really like that would've otherwise gone unnoticed.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 12:44:46 pm »
Tournaments are fun no question, I played in a few in the past and discovered quite some games that I like now  ;D

Only problem for me is the time factor. I alrerady play around 10 games pretty serious and to start a new one always means to lower the play time of the others.
I try not to start too many new ones although a few would really interest me. Games like Robotron, Asteroids, Centipede, Mario Bros, Frogger, Popeye, Ms. Pac-Man or Moon Patrol.

I would play 24/7 if I would start to play all those games LOL
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:13:30 pm by KIG666 »

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 06:31:29 am »
Vincent - You're right about League of Legends...it doesnt require hundreds of commands per minute, its easy to get into and try out (free), and its extremely strategy based.  It may look like a weird game full of spells and people fighting...but it boils down to strategy...working with your team to take out the enemy in an efficient manner.

I'd recommend the game to anyone, but also warn them that it is addicting, just like DK.

As far as games you can compete in, there isn't another game in the world that is more contested right now than League of Legends (it's bigger than Starcraft)...which is why I got into it...I also love to compete. 
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer