Author Topic: Which other games do you guys play besides DK ?  (Read 12778 times)

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
Which other games do you guys play besides DK ?
« on: February 07, 2013, 11:44:56 pm »
I know this is a DK only forum so hit me with a wild barrel if this is a bit off topic now LOL but I would really like to know what all the DK players here play if they don't play Donkey Kong.

Would be really interesting to know a bit more about the gaming background off the members here.

Here is what I play besides DK  :)

Gyruss, Dig Dug, Circus Charlie, Exerion, Galaga and Killer Instinct 1 and 2.

I'm actually pretty good at all those titles but right now I play a bit more DK so the others are set to low priority mode.
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Re: Which other games do you guys play besides DK ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:02:41 am »
I play lots of things in MAME casually, but for serious "I want to get genuinely good at this" games, I was pretty into Galaga many years ago (late 90s) and got good enough to flip the score with double-ships and regular speed fire, which, admittedly, isn't too difficult to do (with rapid fire it's nothing). I don't think the game is nearly as interesting or deep as DK though and I'm not looking to revisit it.

However, up until DK took over in 2011, my first love was always Ms. Pac Man. That and original Pac are two games that I wouldn't mind getting serious about someday. I haven't really gotten into them up to now because I simply can't play Pac games on a keyboard, and rather than buy a joystick for my PC, I'll wait until if and when I can get a machine.

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:35:58 am »
Galaga is pretty simple but still it needs a lot of practice to get really good at it.

I was really good BITD so my long time goal is to beat the 5 man WR of 4,5M on mame.

Ms. Pac Man is a tough game imo, at least the normal speed version. Played it only a week as part of a highscore contest but without knowing the save spots and the right grouping tactics it's pretty hard for beginners. Could not even reach 100K  :o

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 04:14:01 am »
I know this is a DK only forum so hit me with a wild barrel if this is a bit off topic now LOL but I would really like to know what all the DK players here play if they don't play Donkey Kong.

Whatever's coming up in a tournament  :)

Elevator Action is my favorite game of all time however.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 06:17:37 am »
Many games. I'm trying to slowly master one or two at a time, and I have high goals for this year. The ones I'm going hardest at right now are Dig Dug, DKJr, and Cruis'n USA.

Currently though, I would say that I am best at DK and Track and Field.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 06:23:47 am »
Currently...  I'm only playing Donkey Kong, and League of Legends.  With all the friendly gamers here, would be cool to put together a "Team DK" on League...but I realize it's not an arcade game.  It is, however, a very strategic, teamwork oriented, real time strategy game...also free (most people end up buying a few things here and there along the way...I think i've put $20 into the game), and the largest E-Sport out there right now.

I'm "mikegmi2" on league if anyone decides to give it a try.

Arcade wise, I used to ride my bike up to arcades all the time and play mostly fighting games...Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Instinct (won a live tournament in this game, Riptor was the best), Primal Rage, Street Fighter II, etc. I remember playing Off Road a lot too.
Also played a lot of different pins...I remember playing Demolition Man, Adams Family, and Star Trek Next Generation the most.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 07:30:10 am »
Elevator Action is my favorite game of all time however.

Elevator Action always gives me headache, don't know why but maybe it's the permanent moving background due to the elevator movement or the music or a mix of both LOL
The game is tough, the enemy AI is well programmed especially on harder settings, challenging game.

Many games. I'm trying to slowly master one or two at a time, and I have high goals for this year. The ones I'm going hardest at right now are Dig Dug, DKJr, and Cruis'n USA.

Cool another Dig Dug player, one of my most played arcade classic of all time, love it  ;D

What are your goals for it if I may ask ?

Quite some DK players play Jr as well so it can't be that bad LOL

Arcade wise, I used to ride my bike up to arcades all the time and play mostly fighting games...Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Instinct (won a live tournament in this game, Riptor was the best), Primal Rage, Street Fighter II, etc.

Never tought that someone here could be a fighting game fan. Nice to see that you even played Killer Instinct. It's my most favourite fighting game of all time cause the combo system is very complex and if you invest enough time you can always discover something new.

Offline Ohrami

• games video
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 07:33:56 am »
I play osu! quite often

It's a rhythm game where you point at circles with your mouse pointer (or any other devices you have that can act as a pointer) and click on them to the rhythm of the music

example of gameplay: xi - FREEDOM DiVE (Nakagawa-Kanon) [FOUR DIMENSIONS]

http://osu.ppy.sh/
Donkey Kong high score: 863,200 L=22-1 (MAME)
twitch.tv/donkyousu
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 07:43:20 am »
I'm not much of a DK player with a high of 379k (two hammer 1m+ pace) but i am pretty good at...

Mappy 503k
Robotron 835k 5mam
Robotron 5.02m 1 hour
Dig Dug 5,136,150 Killscreen score
179k Space Duel Tethered ships
75320 Pole Position 2 Test Track

Currently working on 1 hour Dig Dug score for Battle of the arcades. 2.35+ so far...

-Ken
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 08:01:03 am »
Eric Howard is also really into/good at fighters. You guys might wanna get in touch with him too.

My goal with Dig Dug is to get to 1m+ as soon as I can. I started really focusing on it a few days ago, but in the past I've had a couple short stints of playing it a bit. Right now I find I am just not as fluent enough with the controls as I would like to be, so this means I will probably go the route of killing several guys just to make each board safer -though I do know many good patterns I could use if I could just execute them consistently.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 08:16:56 am »
Never tought that someone here could be a fighting game fan. Nice to see that you even played Killer Instinct. It's my most favourite fighting game of all time cause the combo system is very complex and if you invest enough time you can always discover something new.

Yea, I played a lot of KI...i'd say I mastered that game.  In the tournament I won, people were kinda cheating and putting in the code to play as the final boss, Eyedol...I faced Eyedol in the final match, and even though I thought it was kinda cheap and there should have been a rule against using that code, I won.

OSU, that looks a lot like Elite Beat Agents...I finished that game on the DS, fun game.  OSU looks harder though...
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Ohrami

• games video
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 08:34:35 am »
osu! is an indie PC adaptation of Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, which is the game Elite Beat Agents is based off of. osu! is harder only because it's had 5 years for the community to develop in skill and in "mapping" ability, and, since all of the content in the game aside from the game itself is player-made, players gradually make "beatmaps" (the name of the game's playable stages) increasingly more difficult.

Another example of ridiculous difficulty:
big money
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:46:22 am by Kyou-kun »
Donkey Kong high score: 863,200 L=22-1 (MAME)
twitch.tv/donkyousu
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 08:38:23 am »

I'll restrict my list to personal favorites.

Back in the 1980's

Donkey Kong (Personal best of 448,400 in either 1983 or 1984)
Birdie King 2
Birdie King 3
Pole Position 2 ("Seaside" was my favorite track)
Out Run
Arkanoid
Dragon's Lair

During the 1990's (just one)

Golden Tee '97

Currently (only two)

Donkey Kong (Personal best of 757,400 with final death coming on Level 18-2 conveyors)
Out Run (Personal best of 53,816,960 on Course D with no offroad.  A new TG record, if I can ever submit it)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 01:00:00 pm »
I'm not much of a DK player with a high of 379k (two hammer 1m+ pace) but i am pretty good at...

Mappy 503k
Robotron 835k 5mam
Robotron 5.02m 1 hour
Dig Dug 5,136,150 Killscreen score
179k Space Duel Tethered ships
75320 Pole Position 2 Test Track

Currently working on 1 hour Dig Dug score for Battle of the arcades. 2.35+ so far...

-Ken

379k is not bad and if you would not play so much other games I bet you would improve your DK score in no time.

I also had to lower the playing time of my other favs to speed up my DK progress.

1 hour Dig Dug sounds interesting, 1 hour play time but on which settings ? marathon settings or tournament ?

I love Dig Dug but can't bother right now with all the hours of extra dirt digging so a 1 hour limit sounds nice.

Would love to start Robotron but I heard from so many ppl that Robotron on mame is really bad emulated.

My goal with Dig Dug is to get to 1m+ as soon as I can. I started really focusing on it a few days ago, but in the past I've had a couple short stints of playing it a bit. Right now I find I am just not as fluent enough with the controls as I would like to be, so this means I will probably go the route of killing several guys just to make each board safer -though I do know many good patterns I could use if I could just execute them consistently.

1M + on Dig Dug is a pretty good goal for the start. If you already know good patterns the rest will come with enough practice.
Hope you have a good arcade stick. Playing Dig Dug on a 8 way stick is really awful imo, a 4 way stick is a must for this game. Played a while on a 8 way stick and can't really say something positive about this *experience* LOL

Yea, I played a lot of KI...i'd say I mastered that game.  In the tournament I won, people were kinda cheating and putting in the code to play as the final boss, Eyedol...I faced Eyedol in the final match, and even though I thought it was kinda cheap and there should have been a rule against using that code, I won.

Never really played KI against others, I'm more the combo guy but I know how it is if ppl use cheap tactics. Eyedol isn't that cheap, Cinder is the really overpowered character if you ask me.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 01:15:31 pm »
Yeah, I play Dig Dug on my PS2 right now (I have the Namco Arcade Collection games for PS1). Eventually I will try to roll the machine at my local arcade, but I believe it has an 8-way joystick on it, so it is pretty tough to handle. I'll just have to practice more then.