Author Topic: The "3rd generation" of DK players  (Read 15936 times)

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
Re: The "3rd generation" of DK players
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:16 pm »
I'm from the 1st generation, I played when it first came out and even submitted a score to a magazine that tracked the high scores (electronic games I think). I looked forward to the next issue to see my name as the top DK player only to see someone from Texas had passed my score. A few months latter Billy was listed as the top score and I had upped my score to just under 550. I moved on to other things but would play a game to see if I could still beat the third elevators if I saw a DK.  I started playing again when I discovered mame and put up top scores for all the different clones I could play (99-01) along with other games at marp. Not  many people were playing at that time and no great players until Ben Jos came around and beat all my dk and ck scores.  When I saw KOK and found out a kong off had already happened , I was upset I didn't get to play. My desire to play again was ignited when I found out there was to be a KO2 and I discovered the DK streams on twitchtv. I got a DK cab last summer and tried to qualify but came up short. It was a blessing in disguise because the wildcard experience at KO2 was unbelievable.  I am also the first to be called Dr donkey kong and have a high school yearbook to prove it ;) It's still a little hard for me to believe that a game I loved as a kid could have such a great following now. Thanks to all the great DK people.

Jeff Wolfe
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder DK No-Hammer Killscreener Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 02:05:52 am »
I'm a 1st generation player twice removed.  Jokes.  I started playing DK in the mid 1980's in the arcades of Colorado Springs.  There was a cheap steak house my Mom and Dad would take me to (Western Sizzlin?).  It had a long metal slide that led to a basement arcade.  It had like 20-30 games (DK, Punch Out, Mario).  I didn't start taking Donkey Kong seriously until I bought a machine late this summer (never had even heard of the Kong Off until September). Glad to get to know you nice people.   
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 12:26:38 pm »
I played a lot of DK when it came out. Played it all the time until it just wasn't in the arcade anymore. I was "Good" but not great at the game. I could get to Level 4 elevator and then it was just hit or miss getting past it. Guess that makes me a bad Gen 1er :o)
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger