Author Topic: In depth anailysy of KOK as fact or fiction (maily fiction)  (Read 16026 times)

corey.chambers

corey.chambers

corey.chambers

Re: Coreys defense of KOK and Steve W, torn to shreads!
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 07:02:06 pm »
Interestingly, Chris, in view of your history here: http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/donkey-kong-world-record-history.html Walter states that he later rejected the funspot tape that Billy submitted and that he had accepted Steve's first World Record score of 947,200 on June 30th, 2003.

Here is his post about rejecting the funspot video tape: http://wayback.archive.org/web/20120222092249/http://forums.twingalaxies.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=11027

In the post about Walter's recognition of Tim's accomplishment states concerning Steve's accomplishment on June 30th, 2003.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:43:25 pm by corey.chambers »

corey.chambers

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 11:05:11 pm »
On January 2nd, 2008, Walter states that "The events portrayed in the \"King of Kong\" movie generally took place between June 30, 2003 and April 9, 2006. During that time period Steve Wiebe was Twin Galaxies' official Donkey Kong World Champion from June 30, 2003 until January 30, 2006 - a period of 943 days." Now I know that Steve scored 947,200 on June 30th, 2003, but I don't know the significance of January 30th, 2006." Though with this understanding in mind, despite the controversial nature of his score due to the "Double Donkey Kong", and despite that a decision was made to re-categorize it, no action was ever taken and the score remained at the top of the list as the Official Donkey Kong Champion. This means that Steve was already the world record holder at the time of the Funspot tournament when he had scored the live killscreen. This actually helped to deal with any controversial issues involved but technically he never lost the title, but only re-enforced it. Now if Billy was the "official" champion because of the re-categorizing decision, that may be why Kuh refereed to Billy as the champion, though "technically" Steve was the champion per the actual list.

Ok, I found the date of Billy's 1,047,200 game, the one on the video tape shown at funspot, this was done on June 7th 2004. Though it was rejected within 48 hours of its actual submission.

During the Director/Producer commentary they state that Brian Kuh had claimed to have reached the killscreen so they understood him to mean himself and not Tim. Though if this is true, I find it curious that Kuh would not be aware that Tim had that achievement documented with TG. Now, the commentary also stated that they were aware of three live killscreens, the third being Steve's at Funspot. This proves that they knew of Billy's 933K live score.

That is all I have for now. Still learning. The article I posted earlier from Chris' blog is really informative along with these posts that I am finding by Walter.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:06:51 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 12:20:00 am »
Yeah, Corey, I guess that's what I was getting at before also with regard to any direct quotes of players that are taken from the movie.  It seems painfully obvious to me that the editing involved was rather extreme.  There are literally dozens of examples, just like that example you gave from Walter, where the exact words that were chosen just seem to be a bit off.  Like, no one would talk that way if they were just spouting off a one-liner.  I think a lot of people interpret the "awkward" sounding dialog to mean that many of the scenes were "scripted" and it was just poor acting.  Although this may be true in a few cases, I tend to believe that most of the time it was just that the player (or Walter in this case) was in the middle of telling a rather long story, where all of the details were explained thoroughly, and the filmmakers went back and combed through all of that footage, found a half-sentence snippet that "sort of" fit with their story if they spliced it into a scene just right, and that's what they did, cutting out the whole rest of the story in the process. 

I think if we watch the movie to be entertained, it's really a fun movie to watch, and you can let your brain just sort of "fix" these dialog oddities by just following along with the story and filling in the blanks subconsciously.  But, once people try to start taking things straight out of the movie at face-value as if they are the complete fact of the situation, I think you run into a real problem as a huge amount of what was said was taken so far out of context that the words become almost meaningless.

About that quote from Steve -- of course I won't be able to find it now, but in one of these crazy threads, just within the last couple of days, somebody explained that when Steve was saying that comment about looking up the score in the TG database, he was referring to a period in his life that was taking place about 5 years prior to when he was being filmed saying it.  So, the filming of that scene was going on somewhere around 2004 and so he was talking about looking up the score somewhere in the ballpark of 1999 or 2000.  Tim's score was achieved in 2000, but was not verified until nearly a year later, sometime in 2001 (which has always been a very common occurance within TG unfortunately).

About that, make sure you don't take what Walter says as gospel.  I remember reading all of those posts of his about KOK and setting the facts straight many years ago, and while there are a lot of interesting details in those posts, some of the details are also a bit murky.  I think that Walter is genuinely a nice guy but his memory for details can be foggy and a lot of the details during that era were not handled by him directly, but were instead handled by members of his staff such as Robert and so there are times where he is actually just misinformed.  He also seems to have made some terrible decisions along the way with respect to how he ran his company that I personally don't think he intended any harm, but which ended up pissing a lot of people off.

Anyways, the detail where he claims that Steve was the recognized champion from 2003 - 2006 just does not seem accurate to me.  The 2006 date, I believe, was when TG finally got around to verifying Billy's Funspot tape that was put into and then immediately yanked from the database 7 or 8 months previously. 
However, if there's ANYTHING that the movie does a decent job of portraying, it's how difficult a time Steve had at getting his scores to become verified and stick in the TG database.  I'm fairly certain he was not the recognized champion from 2003 - 2006 since all of those scores that he submitted were quickly taken down and/or rejected for one reason or another.

Again, that timeline that's been linked a couple of times here:

http://superbunker.com/resources/dkt/

... seems to do a decent job of showing which scores were known by TG staff and which ones were actually verified (and would show up on the public website as being the champion).  You can see that Steve had a whole bunch of scores submitted during this time period but none of them actually stuck and the database reverted back to showing Tim as the champion after Steve's 2003 score was reclassified.  Interestingly, despite this, that timeline above does show a version of the TG database from March, 2005 with Steve's score on top.  I'm not sure what that's about.  But Steve did get the record back later in 2005 at Funspot and held it for a few months until they finally verified Billy's tape in 2006.

Well, I guess the point is that there appears to be plenty of time where Tim was the verified champion of the game right up until a timeframe very shortly before the movie began filming.  For everyone to try to tell Tim that THE reason he was passed over to be in KOK was because nobody knew that he was the champion and that he should have taken more action after his score was beaten really seems quite wrong on both counts to me.  It should have been plainly obvious to the producers of KOK that Tim was relavent to the timeline of "recent" events.  The producers clearly went to great lengths to edit the story such that Tim's score would not exist to their movie audience, constantly referring back to the 874,000 score as if it was the current WR score, taking bits and pieces of player dialog and using it to their advantage, etc.

However, once again, none of this means that the producers were "wrong" to make these decisions or that Tim is owed any money for any reason.  But, we shouldn't exactly be going around and "blaming" Tim for his misfortune either.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder Former DK World Record Holder - MAME Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 12:47:26 am »
Good post, Dean. I just need to keep reading and go through things a little more thoroughly to get a firm grasp as to the actual timeline. I agree that we shouldn't exactly be going around and "blaming" Tim for his misfortune. And I hope that I have not come across that way to Tim. In fact, in all these posts I am attempting to connect with him, ask questions,  and understand his perspective. And get some of his points documented and supported on the Forum. I hope you are still with the discussion, Tim.

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 03:16:01 am »
Sorry if a little OT but..

From the interview with Tim.

If a technique does exist for point pressing over one million, I don't know about it nor do I ever expect to be informed of it because trust me, no one would ever, ever, want to compete against me if I did!

Go for it! Honestly! I want to see you on the first place again!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:17:34 am by dimmu--borgir »
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 05:27:13 am »
If a technique does exist for point pressing over one million, I don't know about it nor do I ever expect to be informed of it because trust me, no one would ever, ever, want to compete against me if I did!

I don't understand people's math on that. Why did people back in the day didn't think 1m was possible?

I mean, by just seeing your average scores on conveyer/rivet and spring level, you would how much you average. And by taking just the bottom hammer (+ top hammer) on each barrel screens, you would easily notice that 1m+ is doable by doing some maths.

I mean, I can understand thinking that 1.1m was impossible (back in the day), but how did people not think about learning how much they average on each screen and most important, how much they average by just getting the two hammers on the barrel screen.

I imagine people back in the day:"1m is impossible, if you do it it's because you're cheating!!!"

a 5 years old boy saying:"... but what if you take the bottom hammer?"

:"... OH MY GOD, you're a genius, I never thought about that! 1m is truly possible!".... lol.

I personally believe that Billy Mitchell always knew 1m+ was possible, same thing with Steve (when they both found out about the kill screen)
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 08:11:07 am »

Point pressing verses point leeching?

When I did learn of these techniques, I was shocked as most would've been considered "point leeching" and not allowed. The "Kong Taunt" move on the rivets I knew about as far back as 1982. However, I could do it "without" having to move the joystick left or right after jumping to register 100pt jumps at Kong feet. It was a risky manuver to set up for it this way though

I don't understand people's math on that. Why did people back in the day didn't think 1m was possible?

Because what was known at the time verses what may have been "not allowed" as point leeching verses scores that were under 1 million did not warrant the experimentation of putting ones self more in harms way to achieve a higher score. It wasn't untill the score climbed higher that more  game play seeking any extra points became necessary through more unconventional  means.

I mean, by just seeing your average scores on conveyer/rivet and spring level, you would how much you average. And by taking just the bottom hammer (+ top hammer) on each barrel screens, you would easily notice that 1m+ is doable by doing some maths.

I mean, I can understand thinking that 1.1m was impossible (back in the day), but how did people not think about learning how much they average on each screen and most important, how much they average by just getting the two hammers on the barrel screen.

I imagine people back in the day:"1m is impossible, if you do it it's because you're cheating!!!"

Lots of people felt that 1m was not possible through conventional means at the time, not just myself. I remember Billy offering a $10k bounty in late 1999 for a million points on DK.

a 5 years old boy saying:"... but what if you take the bottom hammer?"

:"... OH MY GOD, you're a genius, I never thought about that! 1m is truly possible!".... lol.

I personally believe that Billy Mitchell always knew 1m+ was possible, same thing with Steve (when they both found out about the kill screen) Billy first made the Kill screen in 1982, not sure when steve did, I first had the kill screen in 1993 (on a cocktail table with the badly oriented to cabinet  joystick)

Alot of people back then felt the same way about a 1m game including myself. For a time after 2005 and the bottom hammer was advanced point pressing. I felt that about 960-980k was the max if one was lucky. Remember there were only a few DK players at the time.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 08:47:50 am »
Good post, Dean. I just need to keep reading and go through things a little more thoroughly to get a firm grasp as to the actual timeline. I agree that we shouldn't exactly be going around and "blaming" Tim for his misfortune. And I hope that I have not come across that way to Tim. In fact, in all these posts I am attempting to connect with him, ask questions,  and understand his perspective. And get some of his points documented and supported on the Forum. I hope you are still with the discussion, Tim.

Yes, and I may add that your last rebuttal to mine  was the  best one I had seen in over 6 years. Glad to see the KOK video was put aside as factual reference material. That was your whole problem. Sad when a person can't even use a documentary film as facts to accurately answer or defend any facts the same documentary is based on.

I think the point I am more upset about is how these people made some money of the film material that I historically was a part of and purposely written out of.

Even Steve Saunders made 10k and never had the WR on DK. This was a huge slap in the face to me! I never knew that a film on the subject material was even in the works or even made until the summer of 2007. No doubt after all the main players checks cleared, only then do they contact me.

I couldn't tell you how much excitement I would've got participating in said film and the financial remuneration derived from would've changed my life for the better.

Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

corey.chambers

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 09:08:21 am »
Thanks, Tim! Most appreciated. I am glad that you are here connecting with us now. As a vital member of our community, and a prominent figure in the history of Donkey Kong, you are and will always remain important to me. I am very, very sorry about how history as unfolded for you. I can't imagine the emotional and psychological impact that had on you, and still has on you to this very day. I would imagine that it would be incredibly over-whelming. And I think that as you share those feelings with others, they themselves are extremely over-whelmed, so I can't imagine having those feelings myself. I hope that your experience in the forum and in connecting with us becomes more and more pleasant. We all have baggage and need to do our best to handle it. It just does not always translate well when explained to others. I am sure there are a lot of interesting things about you, Tim, and I think that if we were to try and focus on those things that more connections will be made. Thanks again for your thoughts and I look forward to our future and on-going discussions. :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:10:10 am by corey.chambers »

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 09:19:28 am »
Alot of people back then felt the same way about a 1m game including myself. For a time after 2005 and the bottom hammer was advanced point pressing. I felt that about 960-980k was the max if one was lucky. Remember there were only a few DK players at the time.

Yeah, I understand. With bottom hammer, it is understandable that some people might've though the maximum would've been like 980k back in the day (when people aren't very  familiar with bottom hammer, you don't get THAT many points with it).

Thanks for the answer mate ;-).
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 09:31:05 am »
I agree about the double hammer , there are still players that can only hit 950-980k with using double hammer.

The only thing i dont quite understand about Sanders is signing his name "the original kong of kong." Don't understand what that means. Hope it's not because of the claimed score.

But yeah, any part in the film would have been a fun experience.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 09:39:59 am »

I think the point I am more upset about is how these people made some money of the film material that I historically was a part of and purposely written out of.

I think that's a perfectly rational thing to be upset about, I'm sure I would be too.  I think some of the folks here are wondering what this community can do though.  They can't boycott the film on your behalf since many users were actually brought here (and discovered DK or at least the competition of it) because of that film and it is no longer really a current 'thing' for lack of a better term to act against.     
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

hchien

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 10:17:00 am »
Tim, didn't you say Walter called you during the filming and said something along of the lines of "we're sitting on something big here."  Why didn't you jump on it at that point?

I couldn't tell you how much excitement I would've got participating in said film and the financial remuneration derived from would've changed my life for the better.

(I'm being serious, but joking here)  Excitement I could see... but financial remuneration changing your life?  Now, I'm not saying $10K is a small chunk of change.   If I went to Vegas and won $10K I'd be jumping for joy.  However, consider the amount of time you've invested in DK and how much you could have earned if you worked at McDonald's for that same amount of time.  I'd say most of us (1st and 2nd gen players) have played at least 1 year "full-time."  A McDonald's employee makes more than $10K a year and I'm pretty sure none of them are saying their annual income is changing their life.   In fact, Costco employees make $40K a year.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/06/news/economy/costco-fast-food-strikes/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:58:29 am by hchien »