Author Topic: Dean's 1.2 million score is probably going to be ignored by the media  (Read 30035 times)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Dean's 1.2 million score is probably going to be ignored by the media
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 09:16:51 am »
Tim, I've always said this since the release of KoK. The movie was more about Steve crossing one million and Billy's vindication afterwards. Even though there were twist to make it look like it was always Billy and Steve just came along, the real plot of the story is what happened to Steve after crossing one million. IF I'm not mistaken, your score was still 895K at the time.

Historically they could have (should have) mentioned your accomplishment, but they seemed to be more focus on Steve's story about what happened after submitting his million point tape.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 10:06:05 am »
One day Tim I hope you find peace with this whole thing.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 11:13:11 am »
We should make a movie. Tim at the kong offs go up to vince and throw water in his face and say this is from Hank. Then we could center all the controversy around that and you could make your millions. Ok in reality now your life is what you make it. I hope you come up with an answer to your money problems in the right way instead of staying in the forums and talking about the movie. Best of luck to ya! BTW sorry for putting words in your mouth.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corky

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 11:32:32 am »
This whole thread is TL;DR, so apologies if I cover something that's been mentioned.  Second, I'm just getting up, so I'm a little groggy, and cranky, so more apologies if I sound curt or condescending.  Now with that out of the way...

George, what media are you talking about?  CAGDC?  TG?  Online gaming news sites?  Local news?  CNN?  BBC?  I can totally see this being covered by our little niche sites such as Alpiger's and maybe even Kotaku, but let's be honest here, hardly anyone outside of our ridiculously small gaming circle cares about a score on any of these games.  Granted, a 45640749 hour marathon may raise a few eyebrows, but that's due to the fact that one is pushing the physical limits of the human body at that point.  It's like climbing a skyscraper with only your thumbs.  It's going to get attention because it's pushing the limits of what the body can do.  Now if someone else used their entire hands to climb that same skyscraper, yeah it's impressive, but it wouldn't even be a blip on the national media radar because people do that all the time.

And we're talking about MAME here.  Now I am in no way trying to discount Dean's score, since 1.2M is REALLY f'n impressive no matter how you slice it, but to some (many?) people, it kind of loses something when it's not on original hardware.  If I beat an arcade WR on MAME, I wouldn't expect to be put in the same category as the WR holder on original hardware.  It's just not the same.  Almost, if not all, DK masters readily admit that playing on MAME is a whole different animal than arcade.  A keyboard is just more precise than a 30 year old ghetto joystick.  Dean has an advantage over arcade players, plain and simple.  It's like carving an ice sculpture with a small chisel versus a chainsaw.  Yeah, it's impressive to pull off a beautiful carving, but even more so with the chainsaw due to the inherent lack of fine control that the chisel offers.  It's a sad fact, but arcade scores are simply more heralded than MAME scores.

Last (and I could be WAY off here), but Dean never struck me as someone who's in this for fame.  He wants the big scores.  While it would be nice to see Dean get the recognition he deserves for 1.2M, the reality is that 99.99999999999% of the world's population has no idea how big that score is, and even fewer care.  It sucks, but that's how it is.  If you play arcade games for fame outside of the few hundred serious, active players in our community, you are playing games for the wrong reason.

Of course this is all my $.02 and IMHO.

Dean, your score is fucking massive.  Congratulations.  Next stop, 1.3M? ;)

::drops mic::

corky

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2013, 11:53:59 am »
So I ended up going back and reading through the thread.  Almost wish I wouldn't have now.  Anyway, since I'm too lazy to google, Tim, who are you?  I don't mean any disrespect, but I honestly don't know of any Tim who is or was a world class DK player.  Of course my brain is not as sharp as it used to be, so I may be derping out here.

And dude, if you've been at this for 6 years, I think it's time to let it go.  There are SO MANY things you could be doing with your time other than bitching on a video game forum that would be infinitely more productive.  I hope you don't let whatever this situation is occupy the rest of your life.  Look at how that turned out for Roy Shildt.

BUT if you wish to continue complaining how you got screwed to the handful of people who will actually listen, more power to you.

PS - You and Dwayne should totally team up

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2013, 12:00:29 pm »
::takes mic::

Tim is the guy that had 879k on Donkey Kong before KOK came out, and KOK talked about Billy Mitchell as if he was the real DK champion with his 874k score, and they didn't mention a single time Tim Sczerby in the movie.

::drops mic::

1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 12:10:48 pm »
So I ended up going back and reading through the thread.  Almost wish I wouldn't have now.  Anyway, since I'm too lazy to google, Tim, who are you?  I don't mean any disrespect, but I honestly don't know of any Tim who is or was a world class DK player.  Of course my brain is not as sharp as it used to be, so I may be derping out here.

Sorry Corky, but that really isn't cool.  Most of the heat Tim has gotten in this thread I totally understand, but I think you crossed the line there.  You have to give the man credit where credit is due.  He was seriously plugging away at this game trying to get the highest known score when Donkey Kong was an afterthought for most of us.  You may not like his whining, but the guy deserves to have the respect for what he has done in this hobby.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 12:33:30 pm »
Corky, Tim is Tim Sczerby.  He is the one who first broke Billy's 1982 record.

And Dwayne and Tim have already teamed up:
Tim Sczerby The truth about the king of kong

Tim, I feel like this is the wrong place to complain about such things.  Everyone on these forums knows what really happened and we all know your perspective on the situation.  Also most of us weren't around when it happened and NONE of us can do anything to change it.  Basically complaining here is pointless.

My suggestion is to move forward.  I assume if you were going to sue those guys you would have done so already. 

Beat the WR.  Or come to KO3 and beat Steve and Billy.  Or throw water in Vince's face (thanks Bliss).  Make it interesting so maybe another production company would try to make another documentary.  There are dozens of filmmakers trying to ride the coattails of KoK right now.  But if you speak to the documentarians, you'll come to the realization that there is not much money in making documentaries.  How much did you get paid to be in Dwayne's documentary?  KoK was an exception (even then it grossed < $1M, so no one is a millionaire), but no one knew that in advance, so I somehow doubt Billy/Steve got paid anything substantial.

corky

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 12:40:58 pm »

Sorry Corky, but that really isn't cool.  Most of the heat Tim has gotten in this thread I totally understand, but I think you crossed the line there.  You have to give the man credit where credit is due.  He was seriously plugging away at this game trying to get the highest known score when Donkey Kong was an afterthought for most of us.  You may not like his whining, but the guy deserves to have the respect for what he has done in this hobby.

Did my post appear to have a facetious tone?  I was being completely serious.  Yes, I AM too lazy to google, and no, I DIDN'T know who Tim is.

I have heard the name Tim Sczerby before, but I wasn't aware of his accomplishments.  As I said, I meant no disrespect.

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 12:48:50 pm »
Beat the WR.  Or come to KO3 and beat Steve and Billy.  Or throw water in Vince's face (thanks Bliss).  Make it interesting so maybe another production company would try to make another documentary.

These would be the best (except throwing stuff at my face (no homo)). I would enjoy a new documentary about all the new players. And I would really enjoy you beating the record.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 12:54:37 pm »

Did my post appear to have a facetious tone?  I was being completely serious.

My bad, it was the last sentence.  PS You and Dwayne should totally team up that made me think you were being facetious.  They did just that a couple of years ago bashing the King of Kong.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 06:36:42 pm »
Vincent is like the master of dropping "no homo"s. I giggle literally every time.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2013, 11:37:36 pm »
Steve beat Billy's 874,300 score (by a lot, and many times over), when he was in college in the late 80s. He sold his machine because he kept hitting the kill screen (in the mid 900Ks) and thought it was broken.

He WAS the first player to beat Billy. Just not officially. In fact, it's probable that Steve was the player with the true highest score for damn near two decades.

(For that matter, 874,300 was not Billy's PB in 2000. It may have not even been his PB in 1982.)

At no point did Tim actually have the highest score, except on the TG leaderboard

So what you are saying is even back 13 years ago the TGI score board and verification meant nothing? think about what you just said ."Tim didn't have the high score ....except on the TG leader board"...........So are you saying TG was NOT the official score keeper at the time?...........Or are you saying that a score on the TG leaderboard meant nothing? 

It was supposed to be THE "official score keeper".............I don't care what scores Steve or Billy "claim" to have prior to/ between  8/16/2000 and 2003..............What I say and did and when I can actually prove to this day. 
 So are you telling me Steve just merely saying he got over 900K in the late 80's early 90's takes precedence  over my DOCUMENTED VERIFIED 2000 score?

Steve didn't Know about TG at the time.............Well when he did find out about tgs leaderboard he would've saw my name over billys now would he?

, and both players had Tim absolutely crushed, scorewise and skillwise, by the time the documentary started filming.

This is BS as well. By NO means did either Billy or Steve have me "crushed" skill or score wise.  I had a 932,xxx in november of 2005 but no video or proof.

In any case, "who beat Billy first" was not the point of the movie anyway,

Thats correct, the point was so Steve, Billy Walter and Steve Saunders who creeps around in his yuppie pink polo shirt " to make a few bucks and so Seth Gastropod can launch a film career.

the storyline would have been the same whether or not Tim had been mentioned, and ultimately Tim has gotten more interest and notoriety for NOT being in this movie than he would have for being in it.

Still it sickens me how these people got paid and what.

You tell me which is the worse evil: filmmakers making the decision to omit details for the sake of clarity, accessibility, and running time (ie, doing their job), or spewing bile, slander, and bullshit accusations at an innocent person for the better part of a decade?

My accusations are not "bullshit as you say..............NOW You tell me what is worse someone who goes through the trouble playing a game follows the rules  and gets it verified by proper channels.....................or the people that jerk the same  accomplishment away outright lie to do it and exploit the subject material for thier own selfish gain.......you tell me whats worse :)
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK Killscreener

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2013, 03:33:40 pm »
Tim. If someone from this forum or anyone else were to make a documentary of donkey kong now. Would you want to be in it? Would you want compensation or would you just be happy with getting your views across and getting your turn to speak to the world audience about how you were played by the documentary and how you were the real king of kong at the time?
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2013, 02:02:00 am »
I think Tim would actually be really entertaining in a movie about DK. He's quite a character.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener