Author Topic: Dean's 1.2 million score is probably going to be ignored by the media  (Read 30036 times)

corey.chambers

Re: Dean's 1.2 million score is probably going to be ignored by the media
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 09:06:02 pm »
I am not sure what the purpose of this conversation is. I agree with Vincent. If none of this even matters to Dean, then why bother even talking about it. I also agree with Hank that we play for the right reasons. Donkey Kong existed long before Billy, Steve, or Walter, and we enjoy playing it and talking about it, it is that simple.

And how many times do we need to hear the same story from the past? What is the point at this juncture in time? Tim, if you want to play DK and connect with all of us then that is fine, I am just not sure what you hope to accomplish by ranting this same story over and over. Do you want us to feel sorry for you?

Forgiveness. That is all I have to say to you. Free yourself from this, otherwise just continue to let the bitter root spring up and defile you again and again. Only you can make that choice.

lakeman421

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 09:06:48 pm »
You want mainstream attention, you better play The Glob.

:)

The Glob is where it's at

lakeman421

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 09:08:26 pm »
Wouldn't be the first time the "powers that be" lied and downplayed a score so one of the inside cronies could profit. I knew it would take time but people are waking up to the fact that the whole "donkey Kong thing" is for Billy and Steve and always WILL BE.

UnFortunately the backing of the DK forum is NO Match for Seth Gordon, his slimey lawers and these spoiled rich kid Hollywood punks and their so-call "expert" gaming historians" and "expert panesl"

Sure Dean might get some recognition beyond the scope of this forum, however if theres money to be made off something like this,  Billy and steve will be cashing in.............walter will always be in tow for that quick buck as well..and the story will go like this "Deans score was NEVER VERIFIED and constantly disputed".............then when the checks have cleared DeaN WILL GET THE CREDIT AND NOTHING ELSE! Sad but true as this is the Motis Operendi

My advice to Dean is send this score directly to Guniess and then have it notorized and registered as intellectual property and classified as a historical achievement by some other place other than TG (I wish I did this 13 years ago)

The gaming public will

You hear that sound?  I think it's a broken record.

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 09:56:04 pm »
That's funny, however its a record that's not going to stop playing.

KOK is NOT a documentary and will forever be a black eye on the aspect and integrity of game score keeping................but as longs as the trendies get to hang out with celebrity hucksters at events like Billy Steve and Walter and "feel" like their apart of that power structure and winning team, more power to you.

These same people you suck up to will sell you out if it meant a few more dollars for themselves.

It must be so nice to live in denial......I must try it sometime.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK Killscreener

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 10:15:32 pm »
I know that if Dean cared about the "fame", he would buy an arcade machine and get a score on it. But Dean only care about getting a high score on Donkey Kong and only care about the community knowing it. Dean plays for the right reason: To be the best!  ;)
I know that if Dean cared about the "fame", he would buy an arcade machine and get a score on it. But Dean only care about getting a high score on Donkey Kong and only care about the community knowing it. Dean plays for the right reason: To be the best!  ;)

This goes beyond Dean's score Vincent.   In my mind this is a slight on the whole Donkey Kong playing community, and not just a slight on Dean.

Its not just the fame part, its what ever financial remuneration that the subject could be used for down the road. For that reason I urge not just Dean but anyone of the top contenders to go about having their score legaly recognized by a court of law, notorized and copyrighted as intellectual property so what happened to me doesn't happen to anyone else.

I know people think they have "friends" in this cult but I guarantee when money comes into the picture they will find what few if any friends they actually have.

A few years down the road I don't want to hear or see some B.S. DOC about how Steve  or Billy was the first to get 1.200,xxx on DK with toadies Steve Saunders and Walter creeping around on the take for a fast buck while Dean or someone else gets nothing
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK Killscreener

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 12:10:55 am »
Tim you got to be in Dwaynes documentary. Wouldn't you much rather be in a doc that tells the truth and your side of the story rather than a doc that would exploit your hatred towards the Man! They would have used everything you said against you to make you look like this a**hole like they did with others in the movie. You need to be thanking god you didn't get asked to be in the film. You will always hold this aggression inside but you need to use it as fuel and put up another score instead of seeking sympathy. I know you wanted to get the fame that Steve achieved. As much as you hate Seth and Steve and all them deep down inside you wanted to be them and that's ok. Whether  others admit it or not we all want to be recognized for our accomplishments no matter how trivial they are to whoever else hears about them. From my 3 year old sons 400 point score to Deans 1.2 million you all should be reconized for what you've done. I know you had the world record but you can't let this anger consume your everyday life. What's done is done. I hope someday you can make peace with that.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 01:37:16 am »
That's funny, however its a record that's not going to stop playing.

KOK is NOT a documentary and will forever be a black eye on the aspect and integrity of game score keeping................but as longs as the trendies get to hang out with celebrity hucksters at events like Billy Steve and Walter and "feel" like their apart of that power structure and winning team, more power to you.

These same people you suck up to will sell you out if it meant a few more dollars for themselves.

It must be so nice to live in denial......I must try it sometime.

I actually knew all the facts because I tend to look at both sides before I make a judgement.  But remember IT WAS A MOVIE from YEARS ago.  I got into DK because I was a record holder on a couple games and wanted to play a game that was competitive.  DK was the game and I saw highlights from the first Kong Off and it looked like a lot of fun with guys who are in for a friendly competition in front of a crowd.  Thats what it's all about.  We are all friendly people who play competitively and also help each other out with advice.  KOK was great for many reasons, and bad for many reasons.  We all get why you are upset with how it turned out, but quit cramming it down our throats like we are clueless.  We know what happened and understand your frustration.  The movie was years ago and it's all water under the bridge now.  You need to quit trolling from under that bridge and get over it because at this point it is honestly pathetic the way you present yourself.  I really hope you change your attitude real quick, because this community doesnt welcome such negativity.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 04:11:59 am »
Steve beat Billy's 874,300 score (by a lot, and many times over), when he was in college in the late 80s. He sold his machine because he kept hitting the kill screen (in the mid 900Ks) and thought it was broken.

He WAS the first player to beat Billy. Just not officially. In fact, it's probable that Steve was the player with the true highest score for damn near two decades.

(For that matter, 874,300 was not Billy's PB in 2000. It may have not even been his PB in 1982.)

At no point did Tim actually have the highest score, except on the TG leaderboard (which Steve didn't know about, and Billy didn't care about), and both players had Tim absolutely crushed, scorewise and skillwise, by the time the documentary started filming.

In any case, "who beat Billy first" was not the point of the movie anyway, the storyline would have been the same whether or not Tim had been mentioned, and ultimately Tim has gotten more interest and notoriety for NOT being in this movie than he would have for being in it.

You tell me which is the worse evil: filmmakers making the decision to omit details for the sake of clarity, accessibility, and running time (ie, doing their job), or spewing bile, slander, and bullshit accusations at an innocent person for the better part of a decade?
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 04:21:45 am »
Personally Tim I wish they did include you in the film, and also Billy Mitchell's 933k score as well.   I think they could have added it, and it would have been just as compelling.   To tell you the truth if this had taken place 5 years prior you probably would have been included.  You see somewhere along the lines a new style of documentary was decided upon.  One that focused more on the narrative instead of the fact just the facts, and nothing but the facts style of documentary.

Maybe we can blame reality TV for the way documentaries are made now Tim.  Documentary movie makers took note on how reality TV stretched the truth in order to make for more compelling TV, and decided to go that route with Documentaries.  You see after you got the record Tim, and lost it you are never really heard from again as far as Donkey Kong competition goes in regards to the movie.  You basically fell off the earth.

In a narrative film they usually want a person to reappear, and be somewhat significant again.  If you read any story a character is usually reintroduced in some interesting way.   For you it was just the record, and you weren't really heard from in any way up until the movie came out.  So basically your record became an interesting side note, but unfortunately did not fit in any way with the narrative since Billy Mitchell did take back that record with his 933k score.  I think they were worried that people would see you, and than wonder "What happened to the guy who initially broke the record?"  It basically puts a hole into the whole narrative of the documentary.

Having said that, again I think you should have been put into the film.  If this was a documentary from before 1990 you would have been included.  You just got screwed by the new style of documentary making.  The film was short to begin with, and I don't think 5 extra minutes would have harmed the film.  In fact it could have made for a good pre-story.  Showing that Billy Mitchell at the time very much cared for this record, and was going to strike back if someone took it.  I think if anything it could have built up the narrative if done correctly.  But unfortunately the film makers just wanted to focus on one main protaganist against the antagonist, and his posse of individuals who seem to go out of their way to support the antagonist.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:58:49 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 07:05:53 am »
Tim you got to be in Dwaynes documentary. Wouldn't you much rather be in a doc that tells the truth and your side of the story rather than a doc that would exploit your hatred towards the Man! They would have used everything you said against you to make you look like this a**hole like they did with others in the movie. You need to be thanking god you didn't get asked to be in the film. You will always hold this aggression inside but you need to use it as fuel and put up another score instead of seeking sympathy. I know you wanted to get the fame that Steve achieved. As much as you hate Seth and Steve and all them deep down inside you wanted to be them and that's ok.

No, you are putting words in my mouth and thoughts in my head head. Fame meant little to me. I just wanted the financial compensation I should've  recieved and rightly so. Steve Saunders made over 10k......... oh.........thats right........... he was a close friend of Billy and an insider  and being  one of these scammer lawyers helps too. I could not tell you how much $10 could've changed my life for the better.  Instead it went to a bunch of spoiled yuppie punks that probably didn't appreciate it any way.

Whether  others admit it or not we all want to be recognized for our accomplishments no matter how trivial they are to whoever else hears about them. From my 3 year old sons 400 point score to Deans 1.2 million you all should be reconized for what you've done. I know you had the world record but you can't let this anger consume your everyday life. What's done is done. I hope someday you can make peace with that.

Making piece is hard........its knowing and experiencing the "i don't give a F@#K" mentality of contemporary society for far too long. Life isn't about what you know so much as it is about "who" you know.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:31:36 am by JCHarrist »

lakeman421

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 08:20:18 am »
I just wanted the financial compensation I should've  recieved and rightly so.

For what?  Not being in the movie?  If I got compensated for every time I wasn't included in a movie I'd be set for life.

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 08:44:47 am »

For what?  Not being in the movie?  If I got compensated for every time I wasn't included in a movie I'd be set for life.

This has to be the least thought out and and displays more naive imbecility than any response I have ever recieved on this topic in 6 years :/

The difference between you and me is the fact "YOU" did NOT earn the right to be in KOK  that was taken from and based on a gaming accomplishment"I" did..............there fore you do NOT deserve any financial remuneration ...................I did.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 08:50:31 am »
Capitalism does not adhere to "moral obligation"; it has been this way in America as far back as the beginning of the 19th century.  The film was produced in a "FREE COUNTRY".  Please stop acting like they were obligated to do anything other than what they chose.  Moral compasses are not used in Capitalism.  It seems to be a fairly consistent and lasting part of American Culture...  They don't owe you anything, No one owes anyone anything in a free, capitalist nation. 

Again, we all agree you "got the shaft" but the producers of the film had no legal obligation to include you.  That was a choice which they had every right to make; they followed the laws to a T.

Sorry Tim, I personally feel like you got screwed, and I'm sure many other here would agree with that.  I would not wish that situation on anyone, although, I am certain there have been millions of others who could share a similar story, BUT at least they were important enough to be a part of a topic that became socially relevant (That's the "glass is half full" viewpoint;  I did something that was important enough to be in a movie, unfortunately they chose not to include me).

The fact that you are even in this situation means YOU WERE IN A PLACE OF HONOR THAT NOT MANY CAN RELATE TO, YOU JUST DIDN'T GET PUBLIC RECOGNITION FOR IT.  Omission is It's own accomplishment, It means you actually were competitive and relevant, otherwise you wouldn't have been "omitted".

Unfortunately, there are 0 laws on the book that say "documentaries must be factually accurate, while providing benefits to those 'entitled' to compensation" 

Morally WRONG? YES
Biased and In-accurate? YES
Illegal to omit you? NO
Illegal to not pay you? NO
Illegal to not include your scores? NO
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:22:13 am by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 09:09:14 am »
I think you should try to get the record back, Tim. The record is still enough of a poser pace to be beatable without too much pain (still hard though).
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 09:16:19 am »

This has to be the least thought out and and displays more naive imbecility than any response I have ever recieved on this topic in 6 years :/

The difference between you and me is the fact "YOU" did NOT earn the right to be in KOK  that was taken from and based on a gaming accomplishment"I" did..............there fore you do NOT deserve any financial remuneration ...................I did.

I guess some people don't understand sarcasm.  Your name or score was not mentioned once in the film which you have a right to be pissed about, but now youre saying it's all a money thing now?  Not fame or recognition?  Because that's what I thought upset you originally, but now that it's a money thing that makes it even worse.  Steve Saunders and those guys were paid thousands of dollars for their rights to be in the film.  So what?  The Kong Off 3 top prize is 3000, so I suggest you get your ass to the Kong Off and give yourself a chance at that prize money.  Or would that be selling out as well?