Author Topic: CAG-Tapping the Kong Community  (Read 13072 times)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: CAG-Tapping the Kong Community
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 09:47:16 am »
I played this game a couple times when I was little, but I never knew there was a score for it.  Being it's basically cartoons and you hit the button or control stick at the right time, how is scoring calculated and how could you do better than someone else if both people memorized the game and executed the proper inputs through the end of the game?

Scoring is on a per move basis in laser disc games to my knowledge.  Killing off lives in the proper spot to 'replay' the portions with the most moves to make would help achieve scoring maximums.  I'm not sure what's specific to Dragon's Lair, however, LD games in general have this sort of scoring layout.  I got the highest score possible in the LD game 'Cliif Hanger' by accidentally discovering a death spot that respawned the most amount of moves after death.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:48:50 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 09:53:45 am »
I played this game a couple times when I was little, but I never knew there was a score for it.  Being it's basically cartoons and you hit the button or control stick at the right time, how is scoring calculated and how could you do better than someone else if both people memorized the game and executed the proper inputs through the end of the game?

Scoring is on a per move basis in laser disc games to my knowledge.  Killing off lives in the proper spot to 'replay' the portions with the most moves to make would help achieve scoring maximums.  I'm not sure what's specific to Dragon's Lair, however, LD games in general have this sort of scoring layout.  I got the highest score possible in the LD game 'Cliif Hanger' by accidentally discovering a death spot that respawned the most amount of moves after death.

Cool, that makes sense...thanks for the explanation!
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:31 am »
You need to get Vincent in on this.  I have yet to convince Vincent to play anything classic besides DK (those 2 games of Checkman he played doesn't count).

What the hell are you talking aboot? I played 3 games of Checkman, not 2... get your info rights! That makes me a hardcore Checkman player (since nobody has ever had the motivation to play more than 1 game of Checkman).

And Tim brings a very good point, here. We need bounties. People obviously tends to play more a game when there's a bounty attached to it. It would be nice to put some small bounties (500$ is a very high bounty, but just 50-100$ would be enough). With nice bounties, we can bring tournament to a whole new level!

1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 12:50:22 pm »
How about this: Instead of doing the games one month at a time, what if we do two games a year, for six months each?

My thought is that this would 1) less interfere with general DK play, 2) less interfere with other smaller CAG tournaments, 3) allow enough time for people to get really good at the game, 4) level out the playing field a bit, in case a member of the DK community already is quite good at the game, and 5) allow more time for fun rivalries to develop as well as for bounties to be placed.

Other requirements I am still/also for

1. Competitor has to be a DKF member
2. Competitor has to be on the DK HSL
3. Games should either be streamed on twitch or have inps sent to marp/TG.
4. Bounties are solely voluntary and can be made at any point during the competition by gracious donors.

I'm ready to open up a 'Bi-Anual Non-DK CAG Competition Games Suggestions' thread in the 'events' sub-forum as soon as I get a feel that people are comfortable with this setup.

What say the DKers?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 07:14:32 pm »
I'm in. 

6 months is too long though I think.  I predict you'll see activity in the first couple of weeks and the last couple, and very little in between.  I think the idea on this sort of thing is to get group-driven interest going during a fairly concentrated period and see folks putting up "very good" scores, but probably not master level.  If folks get hooked on games they'll keep playing them afterwards and maybe put in the time to reach true master level.

-George 
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 07:44:10 pm »
Hmmm... good thoughts. I'll trust your experience in these types of things over my own. How does 3 months sound? I don't think we can make it much shorter, as it would start to conflict with the WCQs.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 08:16:10 am »
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 10:02:40 am »
2. Competitor has to be on the DK HSL

:(

The point of this rule would be to motivate people to improve on DK, while  also guaranteeing the whatever people play the CAGs for this competition would have sufficient experience under their belt of putting effort into mastering a game. However, the rules haven't been set in stone yet, so we can continue to flesh things out if people have huge beefs with them.

I think we'll hold off on this competition though, until after the KO3. Things are really amping up as of late.

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 08:49:06 pm »
I think we'll hold off on this competition though, until after the KO3. Things are really amping up as of late.

Oh yer?

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 11:42:56 pm »
Oh, yes, thanks for reminding me about this (someone else -George Strain, I think- reminded me once too, but I promptly forgot about it again! :P ). Give me some time to finish up my school's fall semester here in 2 weeks, and then remind me again and I'll totally have all the time in the world to organize and coordinate this!

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 02:04:44 am »
 ;D

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 09:10:26 am »
Thanks for the reminder! I'm gonna re-read the ideas in this thread and see what better format/plan of action I can come up with. Gonna work on this this weekend.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 09:34:26 am »
Ok, here are some preliminary thoughts:

1) Scratch the idea of having to be on the DKF HSL (it's no longer really applicable for what its thought was -since now basically everyone is on the list)
2) I'm liking the idea of two 3-month periods for the competition, with 3 months between each tournament period to get all setup for the next one and really have a sufficient amount of time to choose a good game and post up bounties.
3) I think people ought to be able to make more than 5 suggestions, because we can simply compile them all and vote on them all in 3 successive polls to whittle them down to a really wanted final game.
4) I think we need scores to either be posted to MARP or streamed on twitch -that way we don't need to have people volunteer to verify, as well as we don't have to rely on the honor system with claiming bounties.

Plan of action:

1) Solidify setup of tourney
2) Make a thread where game suggestions and bounties can take place (I can keep a comprehensive list of the games and their respective bounties on the first post). This thread can remain for all the successive tournaments (so we don't have to keep making a new one one for each tourney, in this case).
3) Have 3 successive, 1-week polls where people can vote on the games (e.g. "DKF CAG-Tapping Tourney 1 Poll 1"... "DKF CAG-Tapping Tourney 1 Poll 2"... DKF CAG-Tapping Tourney 1 Final Poll!").
4) Post a "DKF CAG-Tapping Tourney 1" thread once the game is selected and the tourney begins. People can post their MARP inps and twitch links here.

What ya'll think?

Again, wrench-throwing is acceptable.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 03:43:06 pm »

4) I think we need scores to either be posted to MARP or streamed on twitch -that way we don't need to have people volunteer to verify, as well as we don't have to rely on the honor system with claiming bounties.

If people want to play on RU then I can personally verify no pauses were used.
Up to you guys
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 04:55:09 pm »

If people want to play on RU then I can personally verify no pauses were used.
Up to you guys
Any chance Kong would be willing to add a visible display to scores at RU that indicate if pauses were used?
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer