Author Topic: KO3 official announcement  (Read 28707 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: KO3 official announcement
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2013, 07:14:46 am »
You see for years, and years I have had to put up with your constant nagging, and complaining about Donkey Kong Junior, and how you hate to play it.  So yeah, when you start this garbage about how you only play Donkey Kong for fun, I am going to have a real big issue with it.  had you had kept your complaints about Donkey Kong Junior to a minimum, and how much you hated playing this game, I would not have an issue with the "I only played for fun" side.  Somehow you seem to have forgotten that through the years you have insulted many Donkey Kong Junior players with your I am good at the game, but I despise playing it attitude.  Too many people have spent hundreds of hours mastering that game for that kind of attitude.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2013, 07:15:40 am »

I played live at Richie's on New Years Eve during his arcade closing as he asked me to, he then submitted on my behalf.  I'm still not sure what this has to do with my not being involved in KO3 positioning.

This has NOTHING to do with KO3 positioning.  This has EVERYTHING to do with your statement "I only play Donkey Kong for fun".

Too general?  I'll rephrase....I'm glad I'm not caught up in the KO3 positioning and when I do play Donkey Kong it is for personal achievement and not with the intent of submission.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2013, 07:18:01 am »
You see for years, and years I have had to put up with your constant nagging, and complaining about Donkey Kong Junior, and how you hate to play it.  So yeah, when you start this garbage about how you only play Donkey Kong for fun, I am going to have a real big issue with it.  had you had kept your complaints about Donkey Kong Junior to a minimum, and how much you hated playing this game, I would not have an issue with the "I only played for fun" side.  Somehow you seem to have forgotten that through the years you have insulted many Donkey Kong Junior players with your I am good at the game, but I despise playing it attitude.  Too many people have spent hundreds of hours mastering that game for that kind of attitude.

I had no idea I had such a fan club of DK Jr afficienados.  I learn something new everyday on the DKF. 

At the risk of further derail....feel free to move this around to the DK Jr forum mods.  Seeing as how another DK post has been transformed via DKJr math....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:20:22 am by pwnasaurus »
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

giv

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2013, 07:19:49 am »
Ah, the truth comes out. George is holding a grudge against Steve for insulting junior.

What is with the need you and Brian have to defend DKjr, George? If I say DKjr sucks, and I do, I'm not insulting anyone. It's my opinion. If you said Q*Bert sucks I could care less. And I've played 100s upon 100s of hours of it. And that's not hyperbole with me, it's literal.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:23:23 am by giv »

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2013, 07:20:28 am »
There is no problem that DKjr Math can't solve.

I remember that game, but I don't remember solving matrix algebra, or diffy-q problems with it.   :)
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2013, 07:26:36 am »

I played live at Richie's on New Years Eve during his arcade closing as he asked me to, he then submitted on my behalf.  I'm still not sure what this has to do with my not being involved in KO3 positioning.

This has NOTHING to do with KO3 positioning.  This has EVERYTHING to do with your statement "I only play Donkey Kong for fun".

Too general?  I'll rephrase....I'm glad I'm not caught up in the KO3 positioning and when I do play Donkey Kong it is for personal achievement and not with the intent of submission.

OK, sounds good.  Truce.  8)

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

giv

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2013, 07:28:19 am »
There is no problem that DKjr Math can't solve.

I remember that game, but I don't remember solving matrix algebra, or diffy-q problems with it.   :)

Maybe not with DKjr Math the game, but with DKjr Math as a way of life, anything is possible.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2013, 07:29:47 am »
Ah, the truth comes out. George is holding a grudge against Steve for insulting junior.

What is with the need you and Brian have to defend DKjr, George? If I say DKjr sucks, and I do, I'm not insulting anyone. It's my opinion. If you said Q*Bert sucks I could care less. And I've played 100s upon 100s of hours of it. And that's not hyperbole with me, it's literal.

But it's not the same.  Let's say I got a 30 million point score on Q*Bert, and I came out with "I despised every second I played it".  Than, let's say I get 280k on Fix It Felix Junior, and I see an argument about it, and I chime in with "You know I only play this game for fun."  Than yeah, it becomes the same analogy.  You are telling me you wouldn't be a tad bit peeved if someone did that?

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

giv

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2013, 07:50:11 am »
"I'm glad I'm not caught up in the KO3 positioning and when I do play Donkey Kong it is for personal achievement and not with the intent of submission."

Me too. I played a game of Drunkey Kong at the end of the night last night while having a deep conversation about Robotron and chaos. One friend, actually that guy Nader who pissed everyone off at the Williams' tourney with his unsportsmanlike behavior, is convinced that Robotron always gives him an out, a chance to survive. We were discussing whether this is in the programming or only in his perception. He also thinks that if he plays a casual game of Arkanoid, that the power ups fall much more often, but if he goes for a big game, the game gets stingy. I think unlike moods this could very well be part of the programming. It would be simple for a programmer to add certain triggers which dial back the difficulty of the game in that way. And he's no Arkanoid slouch, either; he's had 1.3M on his best game.
 I got like 153k or something. Two fireball deaths at the top right ladder on two different cement factory boards. I don't remember where the other two deaths were, I'm guessing barrels. My favorite is when the cement factory fucks me, but I manage to unfuck myself. That happened a few times and always feels great.

I can't see playing DK any other way. Maybe if its in the BotA again I'll play it sober. Playing for the team makes a game fun.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2013, 07:53:44 am »
And he's no Arkanoid slouch, either; he's had 1.3M on his best game.

Awesome.  I can finish it probably about 1 in every 3 games but I can't crack 900k yet.  Does he just leave one brick and shoot enemies for a long time?  That seems like such a slow process.  Also, I suppose if he's bringing many lives to the last stage killing yourself off a number of times before the last hit can run up the score pretty well, especially if it is in a good mood that day and you get many extra man pills.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2013, 08:03:31 am »
Well personally although I play for more than fun, and I do like to submit, and compete with others on this game, and although it would be cool to be even in the hunt for the top 12 spots, I am happy I don't have the stress that people from position 20 to 8 have on this game.  Pressure can suck big time.  I would rather be in the top 20, than not, but still there is a benefit in not having to deal with that stress.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

giv

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2013, 08:06:22 am »
No George, it would not bother me, not in the slightest. But then again I've played Fix it Felix a total of 14 times in my life so far. 5 at Richie's, 3 in San Diego and 6 at home. And half of those home games I killed off early, they were experiments.

But that aside, why would it bother me if you said you just play Fix it Felix for fun? Because in the hypothetical example its easy for you but you don't take it seriously, and for me it's hard work and I take it very seriously? I don't see why I'm supposed to be bothered with your casual skill. If anything I would be impressed at your quick and easy mastery of a title. That's a skill that always impresses me, and part of the reason I look up to gamers like Steve and Ben and Don. The skill of picking up a game, any game quickly is something I'd like to continue to develop.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:07:54 am by giv »

giv

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2013, 08:14:11 am »
Yeah Steve, he watched Zack Hample play and learned that you have to leave one brick and hunt enemies for a long time to have a big big game. He's not a big fan of doing it, but if he wants to break 1.4 or 1.5, he knows that's what he has to do. And yeah you need to take many men to the end. Every man nets you another 15k at the end. So not dying and getting lots of good mood extra life power ups are necessary for a big score on that title.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2013, 08:25:14 am »
You know there was one person in a competitive field who eventually railed against the game he played.  He even went on to say the game was played out, and people had to do all kinds of things just to get him to play this game.

His name was Bobby Fischer.  People universally respected his game play, but they also thought of him as jerk for doing so.  Now I probably should mention, that people thought of him as a jerk before he ripped on America, and was happy about 9/11, and before he became an outlaw for playing that chess match in Serbia.

Edit: And I think before his anti-semitic remarks that he made in the 80's.  Now looking back at it.  Bobby Fischer was a world class tool.  Very bad analogy.  Steve on the other hand is pretty cool guy except he hates a few games he is very good.  Sorry for the comparison.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:34:51 am by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:58 am »
I came off as complaining? Seriously? I stated I was going to get with Richie and Cat regarding the hotel question I had (That was all that was about) and I was that its cool with me  it gives the Top 12 another day of playing  because I think they deserve it. I didn't mean it like "Well ok that sucks and is total BS but its cool with me" as some half-hearted comment I mean it. I think its a great idea for it to start on Friday for everyone. I was supporting that so if it didn't come across that way I'll make sure its clearer next time.

At this point I'm just pondering how the WC scores play out with the WCR tournaments is all I am curious about and I'll just wait for some clarification on that. If my post seemed to come across as "complaining" I'll be a lot more clear in my statements so I don't leave it up to interpretation as there was honestly ZERO complaint in my post and is why I even said "Game on..."

For any questions I may have I am grateful that they are putting this contest on and do understand it is costing a good amount of money to them. That is not lost on me for one second. I think its a GREAT event and I have attended both KO1 and KO2. I even paid for the VIP pass and bought marquees and shirts and stuff I did to support this event and because I really wanted it.

I think I am coming across as whining about this or that to you George when its really just been about some clarification on specific questions that I was curious about since I know that some people here can talk to the coordinators directly. (Ok maybe a little on why mame should count but I was trying to bring honest discussion to that topic just from my POV). I am engaged but only because I do enjoy this community and I am a somewhat passionate person but if I have come across as a "Whiny bitch" I want to apologize to everyone right now because that has NEVER been my intention. My post in this thread especially because it was meant to be a complement about how the Top 12 get another day to play which is very cool to me and it makes the event 3 days so people can hang out more. I am looking forward to that at this point more then playing DK.

Why is it that when Dean posts I don't feel that he's complaining? He's asking for clarification of specific wording. Chris p and Dan, it comes off as complaining. You guys think I'm misunderstanding, but I'm not buying it. That was bs and Ken called you on it, and I have to back him up. I don't know why you guys are defending it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:12:04 am by danman123456 »
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger