Author Topic: My Donkey Kong Omen when I was a kid  (Read 2765 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
My Donkey Kong Omen when I was a kid
« on: July 09, 2013, 10:13:12 am »
I remember when I was around 8 years old I was part of a quasi summer camp where you went there for a few hours in the day, and then went back home.  Well one day they had all sorts of competitions.  They were relatively simple competitions like throwing a ball in the basket from 12 feet away.  I remember I basically sucked at all the competitions except one.

It was a dart game, and the targets on this dart game were level 1-1 Donkey Kong objects.  My aim to be honest was terrible, but I was still lucking out.  I would throw a dart at the hammer, and hit a blue barrel.  I hit 3 different objects with the 5 throws.  It seemed as if  the throws were magically hitting targets.  If it wasn't for this game I would have won almost nothing.

Looking back at it after all these years it seems as if this was an omen of sorts since it can be argued my most significant video game accomplishments all have the name Donkey Kong attached to them.

So I was wondering if anyone else had some sort of Donkey Kong omen of sorts when they were kids?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline alumbrada

• Awards
Re: My Donkey Kong Omen when I was a kid
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 02:19:26 am »
Well, I am not good at DK so not sure this really fits the "omen" theme, but the only arcade game I ever specifically remember playing as a child is a DK cocktail table at the neighborhood Pizza Hut. It was "my size" and had a kid sized chair. Being that we only picked up pizzas carry out and rarely dined in, I didn't get much time to play.

The Pizza Hut burned down in the late 90s, taking the table with it, I assume.
DK high score: 89,100
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 02:56:27 am »
Not so much an omen, but when I was a kid (probably 8 or 9) in 1982/1983, there was a Donkey Kong cabinet at the local Hill's Department Store.  I used to beg my folks for a quarter every time I went in there.  I remember watching adults play, and I remember one guy who taunted Kong and could make it pretty far into the game.  As for me, I was lucky to make it off of 1-1.  I don't know why, but Donkey Kong has been my favorite video game since then.  I've always played DK every chance I got.  And I burned a LOT of time playing Donkey Kong on the Atari 2600... and that was an awful port.  Anyway...

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

giv

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 08:30:16 pm »
One time on safari in the jungles of Australia I dropped a monkey on his head.