Author Topic: DK in the news/on the net.  (Read 187766 times)

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: DK in the news/on the net.
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2014, 06:26:30 am »
http://arcadenation.tumblr.com

very cool blog containing 1500+ photos of arcade cabs from the states all the way to japan. for easier access to the pictures without having to slowly navigate the blog itself just click on the ARCHIVE tab near the top of the page
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2014, 01:34:43 pm »
Ninterview: Stepping Into The Nintendo Arcade

Alex Crowley tells us about collecting cabinets and his love for Donkey Kong

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/ninterview_stepping_into_the_nintendo_arcade
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2014, 12:59:24 pm »
$750? Maybe $75. Maybe.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2014, 04:09:07 am »
That's kinda cool, but you wouldn't be able to set anything very heavy on that table top. 
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Woody582

« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2014, 03:41:14 pm »
$750? Maybe $75. Maybe.

Hello, I'm actually the guy who built that table. And I want to break down the price for you.
Lumber: $100
Glue: $3.50
Screws: $6
Plexi-glass insert: valued between $75-$150
Chauvet Color LED Splash2: (My cost) $200
My Time(Lets just say $12/h): Approximately 12 hours total, or, $144
Total investment: $528- $603(
With a 25% bump for profit applied to the max cost: Approximately $750

I stand behind this price because this table is legit. It is strong with the frame capable of holding up to 250lbs(WLL) and the plexiglass can support up to 50lbs(WLL) with no sag or stress. The way I mounted the LED fixture on the bottom allows it to emit color in all directions and uses the plexiglass as a form of diffusion as to not blind one while sitting next to it. The lighting fixture is profesional grade LED fixture with audio sensitivity and response, Auto(Vegas) mode, and/or can be controlled via a 3-pin DMX interface. What this means is that if I were to build more furniture in this way that you could daisy chain all of the fixtures together so that all of the fixtures in the chain will sync to a controller or master fixture. I'm a trained lighting technician with 4 years of experience and also a carpenter with 10 years experience. Oh yeah, I did all the work by hand. I can guarantee that this table is one of a kind, designed to function practically, and is built to the same quality(Probably better than) as any major furniture manufacturer. Its super solid.

Heres a video demonstrating the audio response: Under Light Wood Table With Vintage Donkey Kong Arcade Machine Plexiglass Top

I want to stress that I'm not mad, upset, or in anyway trying to pick a fight with you. I respect the fact that you think my table is not worth the money, I just wanted to try and convince you. Being an artisan is difficult when the general population is losing its ability to choose quality over price. From design to finish I dumped my heart into this table. Anyways, if you still think my table is only worth $75 still, then well be it, I wish you the best in life.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2014, 05:05:53 pm »
Being an artisan is difficult when the general population is losing its ability to choose quality over price. From design to finish I dumped my heart into this table. Anyways, if you still think my table is only worth $75 still, then well be it, I wish you the best in life.

And I hope you find a buyer.  :)
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Woody582

« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2014, 05:58:21 pm »
Thank you, very much!!!

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2014, 01:06:32 am »
Someone compiled a few of the kong sprites from various ports available from back in the day. I recognize most of them, but what system is the bottom right one from?

http://indycotton.tumblr.com/post/75813409079/suppermariobroth-some-of-the-sprites-donkey#

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2014, 01:18:59 am »
I recognize most of them, but what system is the bottom right one from?

Coleco Table-top

Donkey Kong - Coleco Table Top

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2014, 09:44:37 pm »

hchien

« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2014, 08:05:02 am »
Not about DK, but a friend of mine forwarded me an excellent article about how diverse the fighting game community is:

"Why the fighting game community is color blind"
http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/2/6/5361004/fighting-game-diversity

If you're too lazy to read, I'll summarize (SPOILERS ahead).  The author claims the diversity of the fighting game scene is due to:

- low barrier to/cost of entry ("25 cents"), so would traverse socioeconomic boundaries
- welcoming community that encourages active participation
- diverse video game characters in fighting games that players from diverse backgrounds can identify with

The article got me wondering (and I've thought about it before), why is the DK community almost 100% white?  I believe the DK community has all of the above except the last.  I find it hard to believe that Mario being white is the sole reason for our community's homogeneity.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:08:15 am by hchien »

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2014, 10:06:05 am »
Hmm, interesting question.  Well you being the world arcade champion at least sort of makes up for not many nonwhites playing Donkey Kong.  One thing that is interesting is there are a few black arcade players, but for whatever reason none of them really play Donkey Kong. For instance

Triforce is great a Vs. Supermario Bros
Abdner Ashman is great a Jr. Pac-man, and Ms. Pac-man
Joshua Lombay is great at Timber, and Dig Dug
Darren Harris is great at Ms. Pac-man
There is a pretty good Track N' Field player as well
And Triforce has a friend who was a referee at Twin Galaxies whose name escapes me at the moment.

I have no clue as to why none of them have no interest in Donkey Kong.  Maybe someone should ask them?

Edit: Now looking at the list there at least seems to be a decent Asian representation.  Ben Mazowita, Hank Chien, and Jimmy Linderman are all in the top 27.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:15:04 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2014, 12:04:42 pm »
Joshua Lombay is great at Timber, and Dig Dug

I thought he was Middle Eastern, hence the "Iron Sheik".  He is neither!

Edit: Now looking at the list there at least seems to be a decent Asian representation.  Ben Mazowita, Hank Chien, and Jimmy Linderman are all in the top 27.

I only met Ben once but I think he is Caucasian.  A quick google shows the Mazowita's came from Australia.

I forgot about Jimmy.  Although he only spent a few months playing DK and then moved on.

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2014, 11:56:10 am »
Jason Corey Brittain gets a PSP article today...

http://patrickscottpatterson.com/CultureJCB

"After 2007 film The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters became a cult classic, the original Donkey Kong arcade game has found a level of niche relevance again, with a long line of new contenders emerging to try and chase the world record and the elusive 'kill screen' that ends the game.

The connection with Donkey Kong began early for one of the up-and-coming contenders, Alberta's Jason Corey Brittain.

"I can remember the first time playing a Donkey Kong game for the ColecoVision that one of my friends had," he said. "I guess what really got me playing Donkey Kong like everybody else were the documentaries for King of Kong and Chasing Ghosts and everyone basically from the Donkey Kong community. I've learned so much about the game from everyone. I just keep on trying to do better."

While continuing his battle with the iconic pixel gorilla, Brittain has been fighting a battle outside of the arcade screen as well.

"I've had Type 1 diabetes for 23 years of my life and have been through different scenarios with this disease. Right now currently, I'm in a wheelchair," he revealed. "My right foot is swollen and I am trying to change over to a new gluten free diet while trying to get my blood sugars more under control. I've been keeping my foot up as much as possible with this happening now and been playing lots of Donkey Kong in competition. I've been off work for at least a couple months now."

While continuing to work to improve his health, Brittain has managed to push his personal best Donkey Kong score to more than 523,000 points. He recently went head-to-head with another DK contender as he took on Ohio arcade champ John Salter in a live streaming broadcast. Brittain came out on top as Kong fans watched from around the world.

"I was pretty nervous about playing against John at first since I knew how good of a video game player that he is at Tron and Armor Attack," he said. "I thought that it was a privilege for me to play against him. I would have to for sure say that this was a really an amazing highlight in my life so far and has brought my encouragement up to play Donkey Kong and do better at the game. Now he wants to play another fun competition again for a rematch sometime."

For now, Brittain continues his work to improve both on and off the video screen.

"Now I'm off work again for another two months because of my foot and its apparently not getting better," he noted. "I have to go to rehab at least likely once a week to figure things out. I have no idea what is going to happen next. I really want to go to the next Kong Off tournament to meet everyone in person and in order for me to go, I have to get better."

As Jason continues to work on improving both of his goals, a lifelong expert on the video game scene says she sees great things in the arcade champ.

"I think out of all the Donkey Kong players, Jason has faced more hurdles than anyone," said writer Catherine DeSpira. "There's those learning curves that all champions face, that throw up seemingly impossible levels to reach. But no matter what life or the game has thrown at him, no matter the impasse standing in his way, what has made him stand out is, in spite of all of that, he has surmounted every one, time and time again. There's a champion spirit in Jason Corey Brittain. And there's nothing that stands in his way for long, no matter what it is."
"