Author Topic: DK in the news/on the net.  (Read 187312 times)

Offline dd0ck

• Awards
Re: DK in the news/on the net.
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 10:56:19 am »
http://www.patrickscottpatterson.com/WomenKayla

The Queen of Kong: Kayla Rose aims to master an arcade classic
Originally published May 17, 2013

Google +

Reddit

While modern-day video gaming now has a strong presence from women gamers on both the casual and competitive side, the classic arcade scene is still seemingly dominated by men. Documentary films and a sometimes constant barrage of stories about new world records on arcade relics have done little to change that perception. In this crowd of multi-day Q*bert marathons and perfect Pac-Man games stands San Francisco's Kayla Rose, a long time gamer aiming to reach the top of a revived arcade classic.

"I want to be the first female player to hit a Donkey Kong kill screen. I WILL hit a kill screen," she said.

Rose, a world traveler who studied California history and Biology at San Francisco State University and the University of California at Berkeley, started her journey up the video game ladder with an early home computer.

"The term gaming did not yet exist when I started playing video games," Kayla noted. "The earliest memories were playing Frogger, Dune and a few others on an Apple 2GS computer, also known as the 'dinosaur fossil'. This was before the mouse, so everything was done by key command. Green screen, huge monitor, floppy disk drive, frequent syntax errors, no internet connection and a really loud dot matrix color printer that used feed paper."

Kayla's video gaming would get a colorful upgrade a few years later when a full video game console came into her home.

"When the Sega Master System was introduced, we got one for Christmas," she recalled. "I remember spending hours playing with my older brother. The best games were Wonder Boy 3 and R-Type. To this day, I'm still a die-hard fan of the SMS. In its day, I still think it was better than Nintendo, because Nintendo always seemed to freeze or crash."

In August 2011, Kayla would be introduced to the very game that saved Nintendo of America as her boyfriend purchased an original Donkey Kong cabinet for his apartment.

"We started living together a few months later, so I had plenty of time to try it out," she said. "I watched him play for weeks. He seemed really into it and it looked like fun. Finally, I was brave enough to try it."

While Rose states that her earliest games created humorous moments, her scores soon began to increase. In November, Kayla and her boyfriend took a trip to the Kong Off II event in Denver, Colorado, where her ladder climbing skills began to gain public attention as she started playing one of the Kong machines at the event.

"I found myself in the groove, oblivious to anything going on around me," she said. "Level after level, board after board, people were starting to notice. It wasn't long before I had a crowd of people around me, watching me play in amazement, fascinated by what they were seeing. I breezed through every elevator board without any deaths, which got everyone's attention. When my game ended I found myself surrounded by a group of people cheering me on."

Recently, Kayla hit a personal best of 345,000 points and says she feels good about pushing her numbers closer and closer to the kill screen level.

"I didn't lose any lives on the elevator boards, so I feel good about where this is going," she said.

In addition to having fun and making friends with her Donkey Kong quest, Rose says the game has helped her in other ways.

"I spent so many years dedicating myself to electronic music. Eventually, I grew apart from music and started to focus on long term goals," Kayla said. "Priorities shifted toward health, finance, education, stability and personal establishment. At some point, I guess things became more serious than expected, but I didn't have a way to relieve day-to-day stress. My attempts to find another creative outlet failed, because I didn't know how to inspire the same passion I had with music. Years went by and I started thinking my inspiration was lost completely, then I knew I was lost. Something special happened when I started playing. It didn't happen overnight, but definitely clicked. Somehow, it sparked my interest and managed to ignite a flame. Maybe it's the fireballs."

As her kill screen pursuit continues, Kayla states that she is looking forward to getting to play in front of a crowd again later this year and hopes to see more women taking up play on the all-time classic.

"I look forward to playing at the next Kong Off," she added. "I really want to see more ladies playing. Let's throw up some scores. Queens of Kong, come out and play."
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:29 pm »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 05:42:56 pm »
For anyone interested in building the Barrel Kong Machine, this may help: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=131202
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2013, 09:33:46 am »
http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=103

"Billy Mitchell would be proud! Finally the NES version of the Donkey Kong arcade game includes all the levels. The Pie Factory completes the game that Nintendo should have released decades ago. Are they pies or cement pans? Nobody knows until you play it!

Much more than a reproduction, this original game cartridge is built using all new parts. No donor carts were harmed in the making of this game.

Updated version
Classic levels
New factory!

Package Includes:
Donkey Kong Pie Factory cart (RET-DK-GBL)
Gray cart with brand new black sleeve
Ciclone multi region lockout chip for NTSC, PAL A, PAL B, Asian Systems

System Compatibility List:
Works on authentic Nintendo Systems including NTSC, PAL A, PAL B, and Asian systems.
Works on clone systems like the NEX, Yobo, or FC Twin.
Untested on Famicom using 72-60 pin converter, should work.
Untested on portable systems, should work."

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2013, 11:22:23 am »
AH yes! I forgot to post that one. A friend had let me know about it a while back. I really want a copy of that NES version!

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2013, 12:48:44 pm »
Here is a recent blog posting offering quite an extensive review and commentary about Donkey Kong. Apparently a review of Junior is in the works, and I will try and remember to post that when it's completed. The DK post is four pages.

http://telebunny.net/toastyblog/2013/05/the-anatomy-of-super-mario-i-its-on-like/

http://telebunny.net/toastyblog/2013/05/the-anatomy-of-super-mario-ii-concrete-design/

http://telebunny.net/toastyblog/2013/06/the-anatomy-of-super-mario-iii-ape-escaping/

http://telebunny.net/toastyblog/2013/06/the-anatomy-of-super-mario-iv-kinging-of-kong/
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2013, 03:06:48 pm »
i may or may not have that rom if you need it mitch.................... ;D

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2013, 10:49:04 am »
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2013, 11:02:28 am »
haha, 'mame-trained-kong-bots'...  ;D

8)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2013, 01:20:30 pm »
A fine article, but (while I could be wrong) I smell a little uncredited information-sourcing...
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2013, 05:54:09 pm »
Tweet of the Day:

;D You gotta have your priorities straight, kid!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2013, 06:46:15 pm »
Wht da...

Donkey Kong Machine spotted in the background on the inter-web!:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=541625009230814&set=vb.170901143077174&type=2&theater

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2013, 06:50:47 pm »
With a DK Junior bezel, and a DK3 marquee no less...