Author Topic: A Place for KO3 'mini-offs'  (Read 28022 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: A Place for KO3 'mini-offs'
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 03:08:45 pm »
George, what was your specific position on the issue of the MAME/Arcade scores? Would it be a Debate-Off about what scores ought to count for the KOs, or would it be about something a little different?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 03:36:31 pm »
I agree George about the Swear Off.  Denver would be a great place to host such an exciting event.  Jourdan can play Centipede, you can play Popeye, and I will stick to Donkey Kong since I swear on that game anyways.  Our panel of judges will obviously include Allen the king of creative swears providing a judgment on creativity, and a couple other judges rating our Swear Off based on volume and form.  It will be so big it will even take focus off the Wild Card Division.

hchien

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 03:58:33 pm »
I think George should play Jr.  That will bring out the best (swear words) in him.

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 04:18:06 pm »
Depends on what the debate is I'm game. :)

My entire "debate" was why MAME for DK (and just DK here) is not worthy of being considered for this event and a score on a home cab. That's all lets do it :D

Dan

I haven't seen a response from kyou, saying whether or not he's willing to go up against me in the Debate-Off, but I am ready if he or anyone else is. Is ready to lose the mame/home score vs live arcade score argument, that is. 8)

Also Robbie, we may be able to have our first Swear-Off at the Kong-Off 3. Jourdan Adler himself may be our third contender for the coveted "SwearOff spittoon." (I just made that up) Seriously, Jourdan expressed interest. He may just curse at a centipede machine while we play games that we dislike. I figured it comes to the same thing. We'd just need to figure out who our panel of distinguished judges will be.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

lakeman421

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 04:23:32 pm »
I think George should play Jr.  That will bring out the best (swear words) in him.

If that is the case I will take the Popeye machine as that will help reach my full swearing potential.

giv

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 01:42:41 am »
Mitch and Dan, I was thinking more of a debate on the general subject of mame and home scores vs live arcade scores. What scores should be accepted to earn an invitation to the kong off would naturally arise under this broader subject of debate. You guys and anyone else are welcome to take the opposing view to me. I have a feeling I will probably have more people on my team, but even if it is just me alone, I feel comfortable and confident that I can take you all on myself.  8)

There is also the question of a moderator. It must be someone both sides agree on, a neutral party. Lets not be quick to nominate anyone, but see how things go in the next few weeks. The right moderator/moderators may present themselves.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:47:26 am by giv »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 01:49:34 am »
I nominate either Chris Psaros or Walter Day! ;D

Seriously.

EDIT: I trust either would be good, even if they did have their own strong opinions on the matter. But, I know I can't really force them to do something they don't wanna. At the very least, I'm complimenting their intellectual honesty and level-headedness.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:51:37 am by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

giv

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 01:56:02 am »
I like Hank's suggestion. So I think the picture of the SwearOff is getting clearer. I think I will play stupid junior, Robbie plays Popeye and Jourdan will play centipede. Also we will all play DK. That way we each have a unique title to curse at, and also a second round where we all curse at the same game. Of course this is still the early stages, but I'm kind of liking how the format is starting to take shape.

And very good point, Allen Staal is a natural choice for head judge. He really couldn't compete, he's too good. So another 2-4 judges should do it I think.

Also there is a possibility of more contenders. I imagine Ross may be inspired to throw his asshat into the ring.

giv

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 02:06:16 am »
Let's not be quick to nominate anyone I said!  ;D

No way would I agree to Chris P as a moderator. And not because of his endless opinions on every little bit of minutiae under the sun as it pertains to DK which I often find tedious, ponderous and wrong, but clearly he is not fond of me. For some reason, I can't imagine why.

And I would disagree with Walter as a choice as well. He is above this. He is a high meditator, not a mediator or moderator. I wouldn't want to drag him into this debate-off. Even as an aloof and impartial judge, that's still many levels down from where he is. Plus I don't want anything getting in the way of our music making.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 02:23:40 am »
Lol, fair enough. It has to be someone everyone (or each 'side') can agree on. Maybe Joel West? Maybe Hank? Maybe just a random bartender!? :P

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 04:31:55 am »
No way would I agree to Chris P as a moderator. And not because of his endless opinions on every little bit of minutiae under the sun as it pertains to DK which I often find tedious, ponderous and wrong, but clearly he is not fond of me. For some reason, I can't imagine why.

Excuse me?
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

hchien

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 06:35:52 am »
I agree George about the Swear Off.  ... you can play Popeye, ...
Popeye doesn't suit George well anyway.  I heard a rumor that he can get 300K on it.  Or was it 3M?  I can't remember how many zeroes there were.  Someone saw it on the wall of fame at Funspot.

giv

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 07:32:06 am »
Yeah, that was just a lucky game though, Hank. A very lucky game. I think it was because I helped carry the Popeye machine that Ben set the world record on up the stairs of his apartment in Brooklyn. I earned some Popeye spinach powers from that.

Excuse me?

You heard me, blog-boy!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:35:37 am by giv »

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 07:50:54 am »
I prefer debates done with MAME. Should I use WolfMAME 106 and attach the INP to this thread, or do I need to stream it and send a copy to the KO3?
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

giv

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 08:07:20 am »
Lol, fair enough. It has to be someone everyone (or each 'side') can agree on. Maybe Joel West? Maybe Hank? Maybe just a random bartender!? :P

Joel may be biased towards the live arcade side of the debate. Most of the guys from the 80s scene are. He may make an effort to take an impartial view on the subject, but I think I know where his heart lays. I think you would be giving me an unfair advantage. Although Joel knows I worship Satan, so that may color his judgement of me a tiny bit. I guess I'm saying Joel may have strong opinions that would get in the way of being a moderator.

I wouldn't want to put Hank in that position. As Ambassador of Donkey Kong, Hank needs to stay out of controversy. It wouldn't do for his true feelings to come out about this subject. All the mame players would cry.  :'(

And Mitch, Do you drink beer? I am pretty sure you don't. I think that may be why you don't know this, but I'll let you in on a little secret: there is no such thing as a random bartender. :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:18:15 am by giv »