Author Topic: Which has directly influenced more Donkey Kong players: KOK or this forum?  (Read 2762 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
For me I am going to go with a shocker.  I am going to say this forum has directly influenced more Donkey Kong players than the King of Kong has.  Yes, I get it that if there is no King of Kong, than there is no forum, and thus no forum influence on the player of today, but that right there is indirect influence.

True the King of Kong has also inspired many people to pick up the game at least casually, but in my opinion this forum has directly influenced more players in a longer, and stronger fashion.  To make a religious analogy.  Although Jesus, Mohammed, and Buddha all had wonderful messages if no one ever set up places of worship for like minded individuals their messages would likely remain very much unknown, and underground from the entire world.  It was the community of individuals that truly kept all of those messages strong up to today.

So what I am saying is this is the community of Kong.  King of Kong may have started the great fire, but it's this forum that has kept putting logs on the fire to continue the strength of where it is today.  So yes, this forum is still very new.  It only started 5 months ago, but in those five months look at what has happened, and the building up of interest of this game.  I know personally that before I knew of this forum I sort of fell a bit wayword of going after Donkey Kong.  I was toying around with Lady Bug, 1942, Zaxxon, Congo Bongo, and Moon Patrol.  But since I have caught the fire it's been mainly Donkey Kong like it was originally going to be.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
I can't answer because I'm not really sure what you're asking. ;D

In any case, are these two things that can be (or need to be) ranked against one another? One is a movie and one is an Internet forum. "Apples and oranges" is an understatement!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
Well the KOK brought us all to Donkey Kong, but the DKF is what keeps us motivated and connected. I think it there was no DKF, there might just be a small handful of guys that still seriously played rather than the 80+ active that we currently have. The KOK and all the hype dies down after a while and loses its steam. However, the DKF forum lives on and grows every single day. At this very moment DKF is the most important thing to Donkey kong period.
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
I think there's something to be said about how important Twitch.tv's role is in all of this...
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Yeah Mitch. Twitch is really key to making this all happen.

Let's not forget that the first Wildcard Rematch pre-dated DKF and went off just fine, with just as much enthusiasm as ever, and it was all handled over Twitch/Facebook.

And the Wildcard Rematch tournaments are themselves huge logs on the fire that's burning.

I think it's also the state of the particular dynamics of the present scoreboard, especially relative to the Kong Off. Right now is just a super-ideal time for competition.

But two years from now? When Dean has maxed out the game, and there's like 40 players with million-plus scores that they're happy with, and there's no longer room at the Kong Off to accommodate everyone, none of this will be quite as exciting anymore. Enjoy it while it lasts...

So the question is not really answerable.

What more directly influences your ability to live - your brain, your heart, or your lungs? None, you need them all. It's a system, a combination of things working together synergistically.

(Yesterday it was "meta..." today "synergy.")
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:42:47 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
(Yesterday it was "meta..." today "synergy.")

LMAO!

Tomorrow will 'laissez faire'.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
I can honestly say that this forum has a much larger influence on me than KOK, whatever that means (echoing Chris' "apples and oranges" sentiment here). KOK did not inspire me to pick up the game though I had seen the movie long before my current run at the game. In fact, it was probably Ethan Daniels that convinced me to start playing, so I'd have credit him with putting me in this situation! FU BUDDY. Friends united.  ;D
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer