Author Topic: Donkey Kong Practice Save States  (Read 22894 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Donkey Kong Practice Save States
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:53:48 pm »
Hello all,

I've created a series of 16 save states that I believe encompass all the major behavioral changes in the sprites through the early boards. This is mainly for the new DK player or anyone who wants to grind on a board without having to play through the previous levels to get there. Please let me know if I've excluded something or added an unnecessary board. I didn't create a save state for 1-1, for obvious reasons.  ;D

Attached is a ZIP file containing all the save state files and my mame.ini file. I created these using WolfMAME 106 and I'm not sure if save state files work across the different versions. Unzip it and copy the files to the "sta" folder in your main WolfMAME folder. The mame.ini is provided in case you have audio issues when loading these save states. Be sure to save or rename any other save states you have that use letters a through o before you copy these files over. If there is no existing "sta" folder just create a new one. Load up DK, hit F7, and choose a letter from the list below to load up the corresponding level!

a - 1-2 (rivets)
b - 2-1 (barrels)
c - 2-2 (springs)
d - 2-3 (rivets)
e - 3-1 (barrels)
f -  3-2 (pie factory)
g - 3-3 (springs)
h - 3-4 (rivets)
i -  4-1 (barrels)
j -  4-2 (pie factory)
k - 4-4 (springs)
l  - 4-5 (rivets)
m - 5-1 (barrels)
n - 5-2 (pie factory)
o - 5-4 (springs)
p - 5-6 (rivets)

Hope someone finds this useful!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:07:19 pm by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

philt80

Re: Donkey Kong Practice Save States
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:03:02 pm »
Very cool... :D
Thanks for taking the time to do this...I've made a few practice save states, but these are much more organized than my random mid-game states :)

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 06:07:21 pm »
Not that it matters much but level 5 elevators actually does play different from level 4 due to differeent fireball speeds
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 06:49:20 pm »
Not that it matters much but level 5 elevators actually does play different from level 4 due to differeent fireball speeds

Argh! I wondered about that...I'll fix it.

Thanks Dean!  :D
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:55:29 pm »
nice work jeremy.

Offline Martin Laing

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:21:12 pm »
Good job.

I have done something similar and make sure I play level 5 once per day. Since I don't have a lot of spare time to play a full game, this is the best way to keep skill level up.

Having said that, playing the early levels is often where I struggle.
1st New Zealander to achieve a kill screen
Donkey Kong (MAME Points) - 1026800 (Kill Screen)
Donkey Kong (MAME No Hammer) - 282700
Donkey Kong (MAME Lvl 1-1) - 11000
Far Cry 2 is the best game
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:16:17 am »
FYI These also work for the pauline rom. sweet!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 01:58:55 pm »
Here's what I need (eventually, for my expert manual purposes): A Rivet stage save-state, preferably with a moderate amount of time still left on the timer, with a freezer that is trapped on the right side of the middle, third-from-the-bottom platform, with Jumpman above it on Kong's right side. I need to do some testing with 'trapped freezers' and their bounce-back distances when they hit the edge of the platform that they are trapped on. Thanks! If no one can capture this for me, I can do it myself later, but I figured I'd ask first.

EDIT: I thought there was a better place for this comment, but I couldn't find it. :/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:03:23 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 02:14:32 pm »

Hey Mitch,

For your purpose, does the level matter?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 02:38:10 pm »
Nope. But level 5 might give me more potential time left on the timer to collect data. :)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 02:39:52 pm »
Oh, and actually, I should clarify: Jumpman just has to be above the freezer and safe -meaning he is cut off from other fireballs for the rest of the screen. He doesn't actually have to be up by Kong. I just need to be able to watch the trapped freezer for a long period of time and not have to worry about playing the stage out. Thanks again!

corey.chambers

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 02:42:40 pm »
Are you thinking of leeching this fireball? With its movements it will not be consistent. What are you thinking Mitch? lol

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 02:44:38 pm »
No, just need to study its movements more in-depth. There are certain ranges a fireball can move in this situation, and I wanna see what I can glean from this case and use to better understand fireball movement in general.

EDIT: The expert manual will call for a much higher standard of precision, and I just wanna make sure I have all the conditionals I will be using to describe certain aspects of fireball moment in their proper order and relationships.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:46:21 pm by marinomitch13 »

Humphrey707

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 05:35:50 pm »
Hey all, Ive never used save states before so I was wondering what folder do i put them in. Thanks for all the help, this is awesome

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 06:01:15 pm »
Hey all, Ive never used save states before so I was wondering what folder do i put them in. Thanks for all the help, this is awesome

They go in the "sta" folder inside your main MAME folder. If it doesn't exist you can just create a new one with that name. If you're using the save-states in the zip file in the first post make sure you unzip them before you use them. You should then have a bunch of files named "a.sta", "b.sta"., etc. Those are the keys you hit in MAME when load up the save state. So, for example, to load the "a" save state, first make sure you have DK running then press the F7 key, then the "a" key.

To make your own save state press Shift+F7 simultaneously, then any other key you want to assign. Be careful though, because you can easily overwrite a pre-existing save state with no way to go back. Good luck with your games!