Author Topic: Donkey Kong Jr to make guest appearance in BOTA2  (Read 24368 times)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Jr to make guest appearance in BOTA2
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 10:55:15 am »
With the games being so Random  you have to have a arcade full of classic games to make this happen. 

I disagree with the games being random.

Last year we had :

Centipede
Pole Position
Donkey Kong
Galaga
Track & Field
Ms. Pac Turbo

This year we have

Millipede
Pole Position 2
Diet Donkey Kong
Galaxian
Hyper Sports
Jr. Pac Turbo

I see a pattern and I suck at patterned games....
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

giv

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 11:06:25 am »
Brian Allen is putting a team together.

Simpsons99

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 11:08:17 am »
With the games being so Random  you have to have a arcade full of classic games to make this happen. 

I disagree with the games being random.

Last year we had :

Centipede
Pole Position
Donkey Kong
Galaga
Track & Field
Ms. Pac Turbo

This year we have

Millipede
Pole Position 2
Diet Donkey Kong
Galaxian
Hyper Sports
Jr. Pac Turbo

I see a pattern and I suck at patterned games....

Yes i understand this but you must own this machines .  I would'nt consider these games to be the most common games in the world.   You would need to be a super collector to have all these and perfectly working .  Or a Vender  Or have a classic arcade near by with all these games..  Just does'nt happen around here .

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 11:39:49 am »
Yes i understand this but you must own this machines .  I would'nt consider these games to be the most common games in the world.   You would need to be a super collector to have all these and perfectly working .  Or a Vender  Or have a classic arcade near by with all these games..  Just does'nt happen around here .

Yes I understand your plight, however, the point of the event is to get everyone together socially helping each other on games and getting a bunch of different arcades all playing at the same time much how it was back in the 80's.  You cannot capture this feeling by setting up 12 laptops in a room with MAME on them (plus some games like PP2 don't translate well) and if you have a group of people playing MAME in different locations it is no different than MARP.  The point is the social aspect moreso than score achievement (at least in my opinion).  I get to see folks once a year for this that I normally would not see and get to have some beers and hang out with all my friends playing games for 2 days.  You should hook up with Kenny and get on his squadron or fly out to NJ, we'll have you.  You can talk DK Jr with George until 3am.  He'll be awake.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:41:39 am by pwnasaurus »
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 11:51:05 am »

Yes I understand your plight, however, the point of the event is to get everyone together socially helping each other on games and getting a bunch of different arcades all playing at the same time much how it was back in the 80's.  You cannot capture this feeling by setting up 12 laptops in a room with MAME on them (plus some games like PP2 don't translate well) and if you have a group of people playing MAME in different locations it is no different than MARP.  The point is the social aspect moreso than score achievement (at least in my opinion).  I get to see folks once a year for this that I normally would not see and get to have some beers and hang out with all my friends playing games for 2 days.  You should hook up with Kenny and get on his squadron or fly out to NJ, we'll have you.  You can talk DK Jr with George until 3am.  He'll be awake.
now that last part is just too funny.  I have 1 of these games out of the 18 in my game room...   whats the odd of having at least 8 for a team .. It's not happening .  I would be interested in seeing Hank play dkjr ..

hchien

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 12:57:35 pm »
I would be interested in seeing Hank play dkjr ..

I played the game for about a week and got up to about 250K.  I'm pretty sure I could killscreen it if I played it for about a month straight.  Although I have a greater appreciation for some aspects of DK Jr., I also have a greater dislike for other aspects (clunky controls, repetitive nature).  I'm not sure I enjoy the game enough to play it that much.  Also for BOTA2, I think most scores will be either 1hr scores (Wag, Don Hayes) or low 200K and below (I could be wrong), so improving on this title won't increase my rank by much.

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 02:01:06 pm »
Personally I am not against an all MAME team but i think it would take away from the live aspect that we all love.

You are welcome to play in mame, make a spreadsheet and add scores and results to see how you would place. Scores will be live as well as game list and settings.

-Ken
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 02:32:43 pm »
TY Ken for the respond...  I could do DKJR Live   but the rest would have to be Mame since I do not own these machines.

Offline Dustin(tiptop)Myers

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 07:15:53 pm »
What is Diet Donkey Kong?
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 10:28:49 pm »

I asked the same question Dustin..  Just got ignored!   It's the name for DKJR I've never heard of before now.

I really don'nt understand all the dislike for the game..  Some of the best players in world play this game!

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 07:54:21 am »

It tastes just like Donkey Kong but with only 20 calories and an even larger hitbox your kids will love!

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 12:16:19 pm »
Results of Diet Donkey Kong scores from BOTA2 for posterity's posterior:

http://www.aurcade.com/events/battlegame.aspx?id=73

Simpsons99

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 12:36:59 pm »
I'm thinking 600k plus

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 12:39:16 pm »
I'm thinking 600k plus

Yeah, Marky said he's timed himself and passed 600k.  That's pretty nutrageous.

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 12:40:12 pm »
I'm so embarrassed  :-[  I even tried to cheese my way up a couple of spots during the final minutes of the competition by sacrificing guys to leech the hideout, but I kept losing a man before I reached the hideout and so I failed.  All my self-worth is tied up in DKJr, so please don't make fun.

Actually, after finally forcing myself during the BOTA2 to play some Jr, I learned the game is not quite as horrible as I have long believed.  Don't get me wrong, I won't be taking up Jr. anytime soon (read: I will never play Jr. if I can avoid it), but I did gain some appreciation for the game's subtleties.  For instance, maximizing fruit drops on the chain boards is an interesting challenge.

I still reserve the right to constantly talk trash about Jr.