Author Topic: Any Questions About the Kong Off 3?  (Read 51693 times)

giv

Re: Any Questions About the Kong Off 3?
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2013, 03:39:51 pm »
I haven't looked over you list, Dan. But I remember a lot of guessing what people think and I don't know what they think. That isn't an accurate picture of 50 percent, 75 percent or any percent. If anything it means most don't have a strong enough opinion to cast their lot for either camp. And it doesn't matter to me because as I made clear in an earlier post, your list is not inclusive of the wider community as I see it. Not even half of it.

By social I don't only mean in person, although that is a big part of it, but also the social pressures that shape the field. See the sandbagging example, or the idea of proving yourself to the community. These are also social issues, which are being overlooked.

But I must stop arguing now, I see deans eyes are beginning to glow blue and can smell that ozone smell and hear the crackling of electricity. now we are definitely pushing it. You are lucky you just made it in before the window closed. If you have a response, don't be offended that it goes unanswered. You may have the last word here.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:11:33 pm by giv »

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2013, 04:23:41 pm »
Yup I agree we can debate it all later. When I get this 1.1 score! (Yeah right). :D

I won't be offended sir and I don't consider this arguing. I consider this good open discussion which is healthy :) I hope no one here is offended like I said that was never my intent.  So far all of the people here have said "Yes MAME is ok" but you're saying that a lot of people in wider dk community really had/have an issue that Dean/Vince and Jeff were there based on MAME scores? Wow I didn't know that.

The arcade score is definitely a bigger ribbon to wear on your chest but shouldn't make you any less of a DK soldier without it. :(
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline lifereboot

• http://www.lifereboot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2013, 06:54:00 am »
How will machine selection work at the KO3?

Last year when I arrived on Friday, there were players that had arrived much earlier in the week who had already taped their names to the machines.  The cabinets were a bit "picked over" by Friday night but I did luckily find a machine I liked.

Is it going to be the same "first-come, first-serve" approach?  Or is the "machine selection break" on Friday night going to be organized differently?
lifereboot
DK personal best (arcade / 3 men) 1,037,500
http://www.lifereboot.com
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2013, 07:27:30 am »
Actually Shaun I didn't think it was that early for KO2, I got their early Wednesday for the exact reason of picking my machine early because of what happened to me Kong Off 1 (I was the late arrival and all machiens were picked). But, Jourdan held off letting people select machines until Friday evening. I must have drove him nuts because once I found a machine, I wanted to secure it.

But, it's pretty clear this time. Friday at 5 PM will be machine selection for the Top 12. So, I guess you can play around on them during the day Friday. As for the order of picking, I don't know how they are handling that.

Unless a miracle happens this evening, I'll be wonder how the wildcard selection works.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:30:06 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2013, 07:31:41 am »
I thought I read somewhere that machine selection is done by rank...so #1 picks first, and so on.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)

hchien

« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2013, 10:51:12 am »
all machiens were picked

Intentional or unintentional? =)  This reminds me of a C++ project I did as an undergrad.  I defined a class with a member named "machine".  I called it using class->machien and got some really strange bugs.  It took me hours to find it.

I thought I read somewhere that machine selection is done by rank...so #1 picks first, and so on.

Yeah Mike, this was one of the questions I sent over to them.

In what order do the players get to select their machines on Friday?

It is based upon the top 12. No 1 picks first, No.2 picks second, etc.

At the first 2 KO's, it was supposed to be first come first served, but at the first 2 KO's it was pretty much a free for all.  I'm glad this year seems like it will be more organized.  As much as it stinks to interrupt the WC tournament on Friday, I think it's necessary to have some dedicated/scheduled time for machine selection in an orderly manner.  As Dean pointed out, this year machine selection will not be a big issue.  Even the 12th person will get to pick from 11 machines.  At the first 2 KO's where there were not many excess machines, it was an issue. 

Since I get first pick, I'm going to pick the red cabinet that Vincent used for his 1.135M.  Then I'm going to paint it blue and hang up Mike's "no Canadians allowed" sign overhead.  Vince, you better beat my score today if you don't want to see this happen.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2013, 11:07:55 am »
all machiens were picked

Intentional or unintentional? =)  This reminds me of a C++ project I did as an undergrad.  I defined a class with a member named "machine".  I called it using class->machien and got some really strange bugs.  It took me hours to find it.

I've been making that same typo a lot lately....maybe it is subconscious. LOL

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline lifereboot

• http://www.lifereboot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2013, 11:13:32 am »
Great! Thanks for the info guys.
lifereboot
DK personal best (arcade / 3 men) 1,037,500
http://www.lifereboot.com

lakeman421

« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2013, 09:24:01 pm »
I request to sit next to Ross.  I sat next to him last year in the wild card and had my best game.  Also we can name it the Swearing Section.

hchien

« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2013, 10:08:13 pm »
I sat next to Vince last year.  Surprisingly he was very quiet and I was the noisy one.

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2013, 06:47:41 am »
Would that be the 'no homo' section?  :P

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

konghusker

« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2013, 07:54:35 am »
Is there a players dinner this year? I thought it was Thursday night, but haven't heard for sure. 

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2013, 09:58:20 am »
Is this a completely open/free event this year? I don't recall seeing anything about tickets, or about getting wrist bands, etc...