Author Topic: New technical analysis confirms the evidence against Billy Mitchell  (Read 8916 times)

Offline ersatz_cats

• Awards
I don't need to give anyone here all the backstory, but Tanner Fokkens has just published a 48-page independent technical analysis of the evidence against <Billy>. The analysis goes into exceptional detail on exactly why the different arcade and MAME transition screens appear the way they do. The analysis is backed up with expert verification statements by John Kowalski, Barry Rodewald (MAME developer), Jeremy Young, David Race, Wes Copeland, and Carlos Pineiro.

You can read the whole document for yourself here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13HRyhZNHDvWNHfVvDr432F4foWiB56Eo

Or you can find it in web form here:

https://perfectpacman.com/2022/09/06/new-technical-analysis/
Member for 6 Years

Offline FBX

• Awards
Re: New technical analysis confirms the evidence against Billy Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 08:42:35 am »
Isn't this just the same stuff we figured out already in the dispute thread and other forum topics? It's more a comprehensive review of the technical side, rather than new revelations. But I will say it has more names attached to it that are experts in their respective field, so it's harder for BM to dismiss it in that regard (even though he will anyway).
Member for 3 Years

Offline Hawkins

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 02:06:25 pm »
Judge: Didn't you know MAME draws level transitions different to original arcade hardware?

Billy: No. [Turns to lawyer] Can I sue this guy too?
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Bounty Bob

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 01:57:52 pm »
Newly discovered photo from mortgage brokers score shows a machine with a non-standard joystick.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 01:13:33 pm »
Nothing burger. Rule about joystick wasnt in place until 2009. Unlikely anyone would get over 1m with a stick like that though unless it was mechanically limited to 4way. It is strange that the machine isnt on in any of the pics though...
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline FBX

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 11:45:55 am »
Nothing burger. Rule about joystick wasnt in place until 2009.

Then you didn't pay attention to (or watch) the video. The key point in BM's lawsuits, including SWORN statements by the corrupt individuals lying on his behalf, is that the machine was 100% original and unmodified in any way. That's where the checkmate comes in. Rules about modifications don't even enter into the picture (no pun intended) specifically because of the wording in his lawsuits.
Member for 3 Years

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 03:55:50 pm »
LOL WHHHOOOOO HOOO BIG RED JOYSTICK
Member for 1 Year

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 04:00:04 pm »
Nothing burger. Rule about joystick wasnt in place until 2009. Unlikely anyone would get over 1m with a stick like that though unless it was mechanically limited to 4way. It is strange that the machine isnt on in any of the pics though...

Are you sure Ken, i kinda remember it being in all them crazy rules that PsP help to to along with original power supply.. i have screenshots ill have to dig them up there in my old computer :)

Member for 1 Year

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 04:07:02 pm »
so your right ken it was Nov 24, 2009 :)  https://www.twingalaxies.com/content.php/3027-Donkey-Kong-Arcade-Recording-RulesThese   The joystick itself MUST be an original stock 4-way Donkey Kong arcade joystick, or a replacement 4-way joystick of exact size and shape as the original Donkey Kong arcade game joystick. It still funny all them new rules where to stop others from catching up , it toke me two years to build a complete original cab including power supply :(

« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 04:17:31 pm by jammvyy »
Member for 1 Year

Offline 1971printer

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 10:08:05 pm »
That video is rather interesting and quite funny in some parts, the music when the red joystick appears   ROFL

Is Billy a Lou Reed fan   ROFL
Member for 5 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 08:32:46 pm »

Then you didn't pay attention to (or watch) the video. The key point in BM's lawsuits, including SWORN statements by the corrupt individuals lying on his behalf, is that the machine was 100% original and unmodified in any way. That's where the checkmate comes in. Rules about modifications don't even enter into the picture (no pun intended) specifically because of the wording in his lawsuits.
Idiot.

Offline FBX

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 09:18:14 am »

Idiot.

If that's all you've got, it speaks to the kind of person you are.
Member for 3 Years

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 10:00:54 am »

Idiot.

It says a lot about what you know about submitting high level scores and what is meant by 'original hardware'. There are very very very few machines that would meet the strict definition of 'original hardware'. What is generally accepted is the PCB is unaltered, running original unmodified software. There are incidents, especially under the new regime where even modified software has been allowed, think Mappy and Asteroids for example.
Like I said, nothing burger, extra nothing.

Offline Rev John

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 06:49:25 pm »

Idiot.

It says a lot about what you know about submitting high level scores and what is meant by 'original hardware'. There are very very very few machines that would meet the strict definition of 'original hardware'. What is generally accepted is the PCB is unaltered, running original unmodified software. There are incidents, especially under the new regime where even modified software has been allowed, think Mappy and Asteroids for example.
Like I said, nothing burger, extra nothing.

At https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BMbW-_fSwCFQ1Kzl59pj7TnoQiuAdgcJ/view there are numerous statements by people including Mitchell, and the "original hardware" point is made over and over and over again, including a statement by someone saying "I never by law or contract deal with anything other than authentic hardware from games or games manufacturers." (pg 38)  Numerous statements are from people saying they are very familiar with the machines etc.  The red joystick would not have been something these experts would have considered normal.  Various statements say the same machine was used for both the 'Boomers' and the 'Mortgage Brokers' scores.

Mitchell also states under penalty of perjury that "I was in a very large room interacting with guests who numbered in the thousands.  During the event, the gameplay was not only visible on the game screen but was also visible on a TV above the cabinet to give the guests greater viewing capability."  (pg 52) From this statement you'd think he played in a huge auditorium with thousands watching him play below a big TV.  It doesn't look like a big room and there's no such TV in the photoes.  The photoes are significant as they do little to support Mitchell but throw doubts on the truthfulness of the various statements.  There's NO known photoes of Mitchell with his score, or showing the supposed crowd etc.  I understand that Mitchell has to pay for 9 or so of his witnesses to be questioned under oath (in the counter-case brought by TG, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).  The way I see it, Mitchell is holding a 6 high and is doubling down on his all-in bluff.   <popcorn>

In any case the MAME evidence is damning - The new technical analysis adds to what is said at https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2706.0
DK PB: 219,500 (MAME 7/10/19)
CK (RU): 140,200 (27/3/2018)
First person to score 500,000+ points on Atari 2600 Berzerk
Member for 6 Years

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2023, 07:19:19 pm »
Billy Mitchell tells the story of the 100 people cellphones and videos lol
Member for 1 Year