Author Topic: The Donkey Kong Deaths you just can't stand!  (Read 11485 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
The Donkey Kong Deaths you just can't stand!
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:58:09 pm »
This is the one death that for whatever reason just drives you up the wall.  Deaths that will make you want to use every single cuss word in the book, plus a a few foreign ones as well.

OK, I'll get this started.  I could name a few, but one for me gets me going like no other.   Mainly because it's a complete result of me being a bonehead in the game.  For me it's dying on the ladder.  It doesn't matter where in the game  Rivets, Pie Factory, Barrel, or even Elevator boards.  Almost all of them is completely due a lamebrain move on my part.

So how bout you.  What is your one death that just drives you crazy?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
Re: The Donkey Kong Deaths you just can't stand!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 08:11:55 pm »
I hate when I accidentally jump into the Monkey  :o

I also hate dying on level 22 before the screen-kill bug kicks in...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:13:51 am by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 08:23:27 pm »
I hate when I die from overzealously over-pressing the barrels. I have this really bad, almost masochistic, habit of literally trying to cheat death by running headlong into situations that are, for all practical purposes, unsurvivable. I guess I just like the feeling of pretending like I am that one remaining spartan warrior charging tauntingly towards imminent death; or, that I am like an explorer from an age gone by, trying desperately to find a new route to scale a treacherous mountain.

I also figure, in some cases, it's hard to tell what is possible to achieve if you don't ever try.

And, yeah....I really hate it that DK always wins.  >:(
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:44:57 pm »
I hate it when you are in the midst of your best million point attempt and you can't even jump over a stupid barrel, or two.  :'( I have been haunted by it since.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:51:00 pm »
Its funny I was just talking about this during my last session, stuff like that the game relies on randomness instead of skill when doing a fireball jump. I'm in a place in the game where I execute the perfect fireball jump, only to have it turn around underneath you. Frustrating, but the skill in the game is avoiding those random situations.

Another will probably being getting hit by a wild barrel wild in mid air, most times when you look at the replay you see the wild barrel was released before you jump, so that means, it could have been avoided with the right peripheral vision, but there are times when it is after you are in the air, but some will say you should never jump in that area. which we all know is BS when you're in the zone.

Frustrating game. But I love it.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 09:15:37 pm »

I pretty much take it all in stride, but if I had to choose, I'd go with any death that seems to be the result of a jump button misfire.  The most common occurrence is on the barrel board, at the top of the center ladder connecting the 3rd and 4th girders.  I'll climb that ladder, racing an oncoming barrel (on the 4th girder) to the top, knowing that it's going to be close.  I'll get there first, with enough separation to execute a back jump.  I face right, press the jump button, and . . . nothing.  The barrel rolls into me, and I'm well on my way to another game over.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 11:46:37 pm »
Wild barrel on 4-3 after spending an hour trying to get a start.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 02:16:16 am »
Wild barrel on 4-3 after spending an hour trying to get a start.

Definite contender for the win.

L4 wild barrels taught me to warp. I have never looked back.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 08:09:16 am »
After having finally gotten a start, dying on L5-1 like Ethan did the other day. :) Pain!
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am »

I pretty much take it all in stride, but if I had to choose, I'd go with any death that seems to be the result of a jump button misfire.  The most common occurrence is on the barrel board, at the top of the center ladder connecting the 3rd and 4th girders.  I'll climb that ladder, racing an oncoming barrel (on the 4th girder) to the top, knowing that it's going to be close.  I'll get there first, with enough separation to execute a back jump.  I face right, press the jump button, and . . . nothing.  The barrel rolls into me, and I'm well on my way to another game over.

This is probably the reason most of my sessions end short. I dont mind the game killing me or me doing stupid shit but the jump button timing really makes my blood boil.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

NesSumSimpson

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 09:19:48 am »
When your trying to outsmart a fireball and all of a sudden it kicks into warp drive, heads down the ladder and kills you.

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 10:34:49 am »
I hate dying because why wife yells at me to go to bed.  Weak.
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 11:28:27 am »
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline Svavar

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 02:41:49 pm »
I hate when I accidentally jump into the Monkey  :o

know that feeling haha
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 11:51:28 am »
I hate when I'm leeching points from the fireball on the elevators and the fire burns me across the gap.
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener