Author Topic: The big Donkey Kong Multi Remix Tournament Edition thread  (Read 4443 times)

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
The big Donkey Kong Multi Remix Tournament Edition thread
« on: April 28, 2021, 05:57:20 pm »
A few years ago I created the "Spooky" and "Christmas" versions of Donkey Kong Remix for some tournaments.
Donkey Kong Spooky Remix in particular took the game to a new level with lots of new graphics, new characters, features and refinements...  and ever since then lots of people were wondering if it were possible to get these games onto arcade hardware.  Well, I've been taking steps towards that ever since but it's been a long road because... well, there are lots of hurdles and it's complicated.

Anyway, I've been putting a lot of time into this little project and things are finally all coming together.

Normally, in order to play Spooky or Christmas Remix on arcade hardware... in addition to just getting the software onto the PCB, you also have to change all the graphics and color ROMs - that's swapping an additional 12 chips on the boards.   Some people might be willing to do that but I figure most people won't.

So, I've been working on fleshing out this version of the Remix kit to include as many kitchen sinks as possible.   In addition to just DK Spooky Remix and DK Christmas Remix, there are now is now also a Spooky version of original DK, and a Christmas version...  and also an UN-Spooky version of Spooky Remix that has the features of Spooky Remix but uses regular DK graphics (does not require you to change your graphics ROMs)... 

There's also tons of new features specifically tailored for tournament play (Which I'll get to in a future post.)   Basically, there's a tournament settings screen where you can adjust all sorts of gameplay parameters and the game generates a tournament code for those parameters.   Which will basically give you thousands of different variations of the games!  Anyone can enter that code and everyone will get the same game/gameplay on their machines.
And.. the tournament codes between Tournament DK, Spooky DK and Christmas DK are inter-compatible - meaning the same code will generate exactly the same gameplay even though those three games have graphical differences otherwise.   Same goes between Tournament DK Remix, DK Spooky Remix and DK Christmas Remix.   (The tournament codes between regular DK and Remix versions of the games are not compatible because they have different feature sets and run in a different engine.)

The new kit will include:
-Donkey Kong
-Donkey Kong Remix
-Donkey Kong Deranged
-Donkey Kong Trainer
-Donkey Kong with pace
-Tournament Donkey Kong
-Tournament Donkey Kong Remix
-Christmas Donkey Kong
-Donkey Kong  Christmas Remix
-Spooky Donkey Kong
-Donkey Kong Spooky Remix

The first 7 games are playable with the kit alone.  The last 4 games will require changing your graphics ROMs and I'll post about the various options in a future post as well, but this is totally optional as the tournament versions of DK and DK Remix will include the same feature sets and gameplay available in those versions aside from for running original DK graphics instead - including the ability to play as Luigi and Giuseppe!

I'll post more information soon.  Here's a few preview images for now

Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 06:09:52 pm by Sock Master »
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer

Offline VeryApe121

• Awards
Re: The big Donkey Kong Multi Remix Tournament Edition thread
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 08:58:21 pm »
"GET SLAMMED NERD" - Ape Jr
Member for 5 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 06:12:25 am »
You're doing Glob's work here sir
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Lyriell

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 06:28:58 am »
I'm in!!!
Member for 6 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 08:09:50 am »
There is an option in the kit's service menu to set what kind of graphics you have installed.  It has support for any combination of single, dual or multi graphics ROMs.  Basically you can tell it what you have and it'll just adapt so that only the games that your set/subset of roms can support appear in the games select menu.   If you have dual or multi graphics installed, the game list is larger.   It's flexible so you could just leave regular DK graphics ROMs in and seasonally swap in the Halloween or Christmas ROMs, or go all out and do the multi-graphics installation so that all games are always available.

Single graphics are as simple as swapping out the ROM chips.  Dual graphics can support DK+Spooky or DK+Christmas or Spooky+Christmas but are a little more complicated to install as you need to solder one wire between all the chips to act as a select line between the two graphics sets.   Multi graphics get more complicated because the chips are larger with more pins and also require two wires to be soldered between all the chips.

At the moment I don't have the means to supply the graphics ROMs.  Maybe one of the arcade parts vendors would be able to offer them or you could burn your own.  I made some information to show how dual and multi graphics ROMs would get wired up.  Single graphics ROMs are just plug-in - no wires necessary.

I'll make the binaries for the graphics ROMs freely available so anyone could make their own.

The chart below shows the signals the three select lines (S1, S2 and S3) on the kit output when specific games are selected.  They could actually be used in a bunch of different ways, even piggybacking three sets of single ROMs if someone wanted to do it that way.   I did the multi-graphics (two wire) method on mine.  You don't need to modify the DK PCB itself, just a bit of hacking to the EPROM chips to redirect some signals.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 08:15:09 am by Sock Master »
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 09:15:32 am »
In the end, I made the decision that it would be much better to come up with a clean and tidy solution for the extra graphics.  So I jumped all-in and designed and ordered the PCBs to do it right.

Much more professional looking and pretty simple to install.  No soldering, no modifications to your DK PCB.  Just pull out the graphics and color ROMs and plug these little PCBs into the sockets.

I think I'm nearly ready to make this happen.  I just have to wait for more parts to arrive - I only have the parts to build three graphics kits right now.  Also I still have to write the documentation/instructions for it... wheee! 

The tentative price is $85 for the Multi Remix Tournament Kit itself and $85 for the Multi Graphics Kit.
The Remix Kit does not require the graphics kit to be installed, but you do need the graphics kit (or change your own graphics ROMs) in order to play Spooky Donkey Kong, DK Spooky Remix, Christmas Donkey Kong or DK XMas Remix.

The Graphics kit includes regular DK graphics, the Spooky graphics, Christmas graphics and bonus rainbow graphics to fill it out.

The graphics kit lets the Remix kit select between 4 different graphics sets.  If you opt to simply replace the graphics ROMs on your DK PCB instead, you can only play one graphics set at a time unless you also do the select line modifications outlined in an earlier post.  The graphics kit just makes this easy and tidy.

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:21:17 am by Sock Master »

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 03:13:16 am »
Dk tournament remix is ready to play at the Vortex  arcade!!!
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 08:27:32 am »
Dk tournament remix is ready to play at the Vortex  arcade!!!

Thank you Mat for all your help!

The new Multi Remix / Tournament kits are ready to go!   If anyone is interested in getting one, with or without the extra graphics kit, just send me a message.

The Donkey Kong Remix Tournament Edition Multigame Kit adds many new versions of Donkey Kong to your Donkey Kong arcade cabinet:

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Remix
Donkey Kong Deranged
Donkey Kong Trainer
Donkey Kong with pace calculator
Donkey Kong Tournament Edition
Donkey Kong Remix Tournament Edition
Christmas Donkey Kong*
Donkey Kong Christmas Remix*
Spooky Donkey Kong*
Donkey Kong Spooky Remix*
Rainbow Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Remix*

*The Christmas, Spooky and Rainbow versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Remix require the installation of the Multi Remix Graphics kit in order to play.

Kit Features:
Easily switch between games with the game select screen
Retains high scores even when powered off
Free-play option
Games have separate settings in the service menu
Any game can be set as the default game
Game switching, saving scores and free-play features can be enabled or disabled
Compatible with U.S. and Japanese board sets and ROMs
Uses original unmodified Donkey Kong PCB ROMs when playing Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Remix Features:
Six new stages, three new bonus stages plus the original four stages
Many stages have multiple variations to mix things up as the game progresses
Ability to jump with blue hammers
Falling girders on the new Rivets stages that can crush Firefoxes
Reversible elevators in the 3rd. Rivets stage
A new kill screen that cranks things up for an exciting finish
Option to earn additional Jumpmen every 150,000, 250,000 or 350,000 points

Donkey Kong Remix Tournament, Christmas and Spooky Editions:
Feature thousands of game variations via a tournament code system.
All three games have intercompatible codes that can be shared across different machines to allow multiple players to all play the same game variation.
Options to play as three different characters each with different abilities, use warp pipes to skip stages, set number of hammers and hammer duration, change stage ordering, change the randomizer, enable a timer or play a timed game plus many more options.

Donkey Kong Tournament, Christmas and Spooky Editions:
Also feature thousands of game variations and intercompatible tournament codes between the three games.
Options to play as three different characters each with different abilities, use warp pipes, set number of hammers, optional jump hammers, set start and end levels, set stage order, adjust randomizer and other game logic, enable timer or timed play, enable context sensitive control enhancement plus many more options.

Donkey Kong Trainer Features:
Option to start game at level 5
Restart stages over and over at the push of a button
Skip stages at the push of a button
Adjust gameplay speed between 0 and 150% in 10% increments
Built-in pace calculator and pace chart
Individual displays for jump and smash points scored each stage
On-screen visual indicators of DK game logic, fireball/firefox decision points, spring types, etc...
Indicators for time left on hammer, time till next difficulty switch, time till next firefox spawn, etc...

Donkey Kong Deranged Features:
Internal difficulty goes beyond level five
Several new types of Wild Barrels
Up to eight fireballs/firefoxes at once at later levels
Fireballs, conveyors and elevators can reach faster speeds
Spawn rates and barrel release rates go beyond higher levels
New Kill Screen that goes all out to make an exciting finish