Related Games > Donkey Kong 3

A review of the Gobblet tourney Kongrats to all the money winners

<< < (2/5) > >>

dknetter:
So I joked in chat that I though it'd be funny if my 7yo beat Xelnia in the tournament, as at the time Jeremy had posted the lowest score and didn't look to be submitting anything further. Anyway, Jeremy turned around and donated his winnings to my son. Grayden was already super excited about the $11, so the added $15 definitely made his week!

It's a DK3 tournament picture. A little tough to read, but it says "Thank you Jeremy/Xel-nia" - he ran out of room on that line :) Thanks man, very nice of you!

QAOP Spaceman:

Well done George on the tourney, literally putting your money where your big mouth is  :)

Hats off to all the winners, and well done young Grayden

xelnia:

--- Quote from: dknetter on December 06, 2020, 04:39:34 pm ---It's a DK3 tournament picture. A little tough to read, but it says "Thank you Jeremy/Xel-nia" - he ran out of room on that line :) Thanks man, very nice of you!

--- End quote ---

Kreygasm

ChrisP:
I didn't go into a mad grind for this tourney, but I did play at least a fair amount and was surprised how hard it was to crack even 300K. Almost did it many times, but couldn't quite put it together. I felt that a breakthrough was coming very, very soon, but time ran out, so 280K it is.

This tourney exposed just how many holes there are in my bugfighting tactics! On all previous DK3 play on marathon settings, I have been grossly reliant on the "underachiever strat" (drop the superspray on the greenhouse, grab on the blue board and blast through, play the gray board until dying/spawning the next superspray, drop the superspray on the greenhouse... etc.)

The fact of the matter is <Billy>, the underachiever strat essentially removes the blue boards from the game entirely, while making the gray boards easier because you can die. Dying resets Kong and the worms to their start positions, thus making any remaining bugs much easier to clean up than they would be if you had to do it all on the same life, which leads to hardship late in the board with Kong dangling and worms in the way everywhere. With extras every 30K, you can slack off and die all over the place and still get 1M+.

5-man, you can't do that. It made me realize that I never really learned the tactics necessary to be able to consistently complete a full blue or grey board without a death. So I was like, "wow, I actually kind of suck" and worked on my tactics. Then I tried a default-settings run a couple days ago and was shredding it, so RBS soon? I dunno, wait and see.

Tourney also reminded me that DK3 is pretty good! The game has great controls/physics. It's as frustrating as any other game, but it's a blast to play just because of how well put-together it is. For all CAGs in the "gallery shooter" genre, it belongs in the top 5, and it's certainly the best shooter Nintendo ever did.

GILLYKONG:
Thanks George it was slot of fun. First I've ever done 5 man. I'll do better next time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version