Author Topic: The Gobblet: The Ultimate Donkey Kong 3 Competition  (Read 16308 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: The Gobblet: The Ultimate Donkey Kong 3 Competition
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2020, 05:59:58 pm »
Oh, I forgot about the bounties! Perhaps the 473k one is feasible, but seems even that may be out of reach. There should be a bounty for just beating the current WR holder's ghost score too!

Fwiw, I don't know if creech's chat rant referring to 'dsync' or whatever was actually a reference to glitches in my inp, but I did find mame 223 was glitching/freezing for me during gameplay. I just installed 223 for this, and it had never happened on 106 which I usually use. I installed 183 and played that some today, and don't think that one is glitching for me like 223 was doing. So not sure, but seems 223 has glitch problems.

Your 223 INP was basically just an "empty" INP...no gameplay. I'm guessing it was from trying to use the built-in MAME GUI or something. And it looks like it might have been vanilla MAME as well. If you use WolfMAME 0.183 you should be able to use the big red record button at the top of the GUI for easy INP recording. Otherwise look into using command-line for your modern MAME needs.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2020, 06:16:49 pm »
Overheard Barra on Twitch saying he was trying to beat my 588,600.

Can't let that happen.   8)

New ghost score of 661,700
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2020, 06:34:01 pm »
Overheard Barra on Twitch saying he was trying to beat my 588,600.

Can't let that happen.   8)

New ghost score of 661,700

"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2020, 08:06:27 pm »
Oh, I forgot about the bounties! Perhaps the 473k one is feasible, but seems even that may be out of reach. There should be a bounty for just beating the current WR holder's ghost score too!

Fwiw, I don't know if creech's chat rant referring to 'dsync' or whatever was actually a reference to glitches in my inp, but I did find mame 223 was glitching/freezing for me during gameplay. I just installed 223 for this, and it had never happened on 106 which I usually use. I installed 183 and played that some today, and don't think that one is glitching for me like 223 was doing. So not sure, but seems 223 has glitch problems.

Your 223 INP was basically just an "empty" INP...no gameplay. I'm guessing it was from trying to use the built-in MAME GUI or something. And it looks like it might have been vanilla MAME as well. If you use WolfMAME 0.183 you should be able to use the big red record button at the top of the GUI for easy INP recording. Otherwise look into using command-line for your modern MAME needs.

Thanks for pointing that out! I was using the record command line, and it was updating the time stamp of the inp  after each game. I didn't exit mame between games, but assumed it was the latest game given the new timestamp.

I was using vanilla mame I guess, and didn't really know wolfmame was different. Downloaded wolfmame 183 now and see the red button, so will use that and make sure it's not just an empty inp next time. Luckily I think I should be able to put up a higher score before this thing ends!
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2020, 10:15:21 am »
OK, a good improvement.  Ghost score is now 767,500  8)

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2020, 12:25:57 pm »
Jordan and I will be trying to drink from the Goblet today will see how he kills these bugs
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2020, 12:40:53 pm »
Jordan and I will be trying to drink from the Goblet today will see how he kills these bugs

Considering he's a Galaga world champion, I'll be very interested on his progression.  :)

Edit: Of course since you are a one million point player it'll be interesting to see what you do with 5 man hard.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 01:01:40 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2020, 11:30:33 am »
Be sure to submit those scores soon. I have a 24 hour rule.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2020, 02:19:45 am »
Any final word on MAME versions? There's some conflicting info. The tourney website says "183 or 223", George says "183 or 224" in his YouTube video announcing the tourney, and this thread says:

MAME 183 will be accepted. Probably the newer versions.

Based on a few tests, it looks like INPs recorded in any MAME 183-226 are cross-compatible for playback in any other MAME in that same range. The difficulty dips were renamed to "1, 2, 3, 4" in MAME 222, but neither that nor anything else seems to be causing desyncs.

At any rate, I submitted a 225 INP and would prefer to use that version, so lemme know if that's not OK so that I can switch if I need to.

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2020, 10:53:33 am »
Any final word on MAME versions? There's some conflicting info. The tourney website says "183 or 223", George says "183 or 224" in his YouTube video announcing the tourney, and this thread says:

MAME 183 will be accepted. Probably the newer versions.

Based on a few tests, it looks like INPs recorded in any MAME 183-226 are cross-compatible for playback in any other MAME in that same range. The difficulty dips were renamed to "1, 2, 3, 4" in MAME 222, but neither that nor anything else seems to be causing desyncs.

At any rate, I submitted a 225 INP and would prefer to use that version, so lemme know if that's not OK so that I can switch if I need to.

Anything newer than Wolfmame 223 is OK in my book.  And of course WolfMAME 183 is cool. :)

So yeah, difficulty 3 settings for the newer MAME

Well, got a new ghost score high.  I guess something new for Barra to shoot for.  8)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2020, 05:47:14 pm »
I just can't stay off the crack spray I'm such a noob  FailFish
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer