Author Topic: Relative difficulty of DK Jr. KS, 1M on DK3 easy, and regular DK KS?  (Read 4984 times)

Offline dknetter

• Awards
Just curious regarding the master's rank D requirements. I'm assuming CK is the easiest requirement of the 4 games. So how difficult do people consider a DK Jr. KS or 1M on DK3 in comparison to a regular DK KS?
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Relative difficulty of DK Jr. KS, 1M on DK3 easy, and regular DK KS?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 06:16:15 pm »
rank D requirements from easiest to hardest

dk3 1mil on difficulty 1/easy
crazy kong ks
donkey kong junior ks
donkey kong ks

dk ks is by FAR the hardest of the 4...really isnt close. jr ks is harder than a ck ks, but not by that much. dk3 1mil on difficulty 1/easy can be done in a relatively short period of time compared to the others. learning the sac strat on dk3 helps a ton

good luck with your future attempts!
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 07:26:00 pm »
Well I disagree.
I see Crazy Kong as the easiest.
Barrel board is an easy pass. So is the elevator stage.  The pie factory can cost 1 or 2 lives.  The only real difficulty is the Rivet stage. But even with that it's simply the star pattern.
Junior is WAY harder than crazy kong. Chains are extremely difficult. It takes awhile to figure out the hideout stage. Jungle board has a particularly tough part to pass. The broken springboard can be a nightmare if you miss too many.

So for me the easiest to hardest is
Crazy Kong
Donkey Kong 3
DKJr
DK

Edit: The RBS on easy marathon for Donkey Kong 3 isn't being compared. If it was, NO ONE would list it seriously as the easiest.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:40:34 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 07:38:29 pm »
I agree in general with Phil, but for me personally, it's definitely Riley's order.
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 07:41:35 pm »
i think if youre going in without having played a single credit on any of the 4 games, 1mil on dk3 difficulty 1/easy is still prob the easiest(definitely debatable)...you get like a million lives! also, the question was specifically about the requirements for rank D. i see where youre coming from in regards to jr vs. ck, but some of the newer strats make jr a lot easier than it was...birds on the spring board loop, so you can miss several jumps and still stay on pattern. chain board now has two or three very consistent patterns...

rank A is another story...in that case, i would rank dk3 as the HARDEST!

750k on crazy kong isnt TOO bad
1.3m on jr is a decent step up
1.13m on dk is where it starts getting very difficult
rbs on difficulty 3/hard is just silly!

glad you chimed in, george! cant wait to see you tackle some of these games again in the future
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 07:48:30 pm »
hmm then again, if youre going in raw without ANY strats whatsoever, i might slip ck to easiest...either way, fun topic! playing dk3 straight up(even with all of those lives) can be difficult. getting tips from benny, barra, and pearl helped me snag 1mil on dk3/easy fairly quickly

dk masters HEATING UP!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:50:30 pm by tudose »

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 08:00:46 pm »
I forgot to put it in the context of Masters, something I won't ever even sniff.  The newer DKJr strats have made the game quasi patternable.  Interesting topic, George. 

Oh, and hypothetically, if you threw in Mario Bros., that's the most difficult for me. Input lag and slippery floors are torture.
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 06:16:27 pm »
I appreciate the thoughts and info from everyone on this topic! I'm glad to hear that the regular DK KS is the toughest one, and that the others are at least somewhat lesser in difficulty. I played around with DK3 and DK Jr. today. It's safe to say I'm not one of those in danger of getting anywhere close to good at either without some serious practice. I'm not sure I'll really go for it, but I think I'll watch Barrra's DK Jr. tutorial to see how it looks.
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 10:48:25 pm »
I appreciate the thoughts and info from everyone on this topic! I'm glad to hear that the regular DK KS is the toughest one, and that the others are at least somewhat lesser in difficulty. I played around with DK3 and DK Jr. today. It's safe to say I'm not one of those in danger of getting anywhere close to good at either without some serious practice. I'm not sure I'll really go for it, but I think I'll watch Barrra's DK Jr. tutorial to see how it looks.

Jr. may seem harder at first because of the movement but once you get used to it it becomes much easier. There's much less randomness than DK, just solid execution required.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 07:15:24 pm »
1m on DK3 easiest is by far the easiest of the 4 imo.  Sack, sack, sack all day long.  DK ks by far the hardest of the 4.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Pearl

• Canadian STG
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 08:38:06 pm »
dk3 1m on easy took me like a few hours from nothing so im pretty confident in saying its easy

dot dodging
Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 09:13:42 pm »
Although DK3 is an oddball shooter game, it's obvious that people well practiced on shooter games will find DK3 on a million easy.
Those well practiced in platform games don't do as well.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 04:55:16 pm »
After now achieving the Masters Rank D, I just wanted to add a few of my thoughts here for others thinking about this in the future.

I went for the DK KS first, and I'm not sure how getting that might have affected my ability to achieve the others. But DK certainly seemed the hardest by far, and took me 8+ months of grinding that game on a near daily basis. In contrast, each of the other requirements took only a matter of weeks.

After DK, Crazy Kong felt pretty easy. Would it have felt easy had I tried that first? I'm not sure, because many skills/techniques of regular DK carried over the CK. Anyway, I'm pretty sure regardless that CK is the easiest of the 4 to achieve.

I found the DK3 and JR requirements to be roughly equivalent, but with the JR KS being perhaps slightly more difficult to achieve. I think that's because the KS with limited lives requires so much precision, and the game length to get there is a bit longer too.

The DK3 requirement is close behind JR imo, even using the sacrifice strategy. But unlike JR, you have quite a bit more leeway in terms of your precision of play. On the flipside though, there's tons more going on you have to be paying attention to in the game. I thought the JR chains level was crazy tough with everything happening there, but the DK3 boards (especially the grey board) took that to a whole new level. Your skill at DK3 also may depend on if you've previously gotten good at shooter games like this too. I've played a lot of classic arcade games casually, but had never really tried to master any until DK. Anyway, I'm glad DK3 is included in the requirements. It's a fun and much different game compared to the others that I otherwise wouldn't have stuck with and come to enjoy.

If who has already achieved a DK KS is thinking of doing the rest of the requirements, there's no reason not to go for it! If you want to start with the easier requirements first and see how it goes, give Crazy Kong and DK3 a try!