Author Topic: Donkey Kong Training Videos  (Read 40986 times)

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Training Videos
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 12:47:21 am »
What a cool video

Thanks man, real helpful!
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 05:20:27 am »
Thanks. One day I may add a few more things to it.

1) Ladder vs. lower rivet first
2) Placement of Mario with hammer on right side of top right rivet with firefox coming down and jumping over to the left at the last second.
3) Jumping straight up to grab lower hammer while firefox is coming down the ladder.

If and when some of these other elements appear in my game play I will probably just delete the video I uploaded, add these elements, and then post a new one. I was just too anxious to get it off the ground. :)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 12:42:30 pm »
Expert Manual won't be done until KO4 (though we already have over 100 pages of it done!). For KO3 we are just focusing on the beginners manual (about 60-70 pages). :)

So just make your videos and don't plan on waiting around for us. The rivet video was fantastic, so I don't think you really need our help in making these. If you just take your time, you'll remember to add in all the important stuff.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement. When all is said and done, I am sure I may need to make a 5th Supplemental Video that has a little bit for each board that is not contained in the original. Of course, I would prefer to keep the original for the view count etc.

corey.chambers

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 06:57:24 pm »
I just got done posting my killscreen game onto youtube: [noembed] Donkey Kong Killscreen Game [/noembed] There isn't any sound, just the whole game. I am hoping that as newer players watch the training videos they may want to see it all in action.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:01:16 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline Phame

• Live Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 03:38:03 am »
wow im going to use the weave pattern now on dk riviot lev thanks sir..
Phame | Ky Staal
Member for 11 Years

corey.chambers

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 07:10:24 am »
Sure thing! :) Players who use both the Star and Weave pattern decide around the time of clearing the first rivet. Will they jump back left and proceed into the Star or keep moving to the right up the ladder into the Weave. People who use both decide based on where the Firefoxes spawn. If they all spawn in the lower right then it is much safer to do the Weave than if they all spawned up at the top. You may want to try alternating based on the spawning location of the firefoxes. Trying to do the Weave when the firefoxes all spawn in the top right might be harder to do than the Star. Not grabbing the top hammer too early is important in the Weave. Never hurts to try and learn new things. Good luck on improving your score. I am glad that this video was helpful to you. New videos are in process. :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:13:35 am by corey.chambers »

corey.chambers

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 02:46:41 pm »
I recently saw these two training type videos on youtube that are decently done on the arcade version. In play narration. I am not sure who it is but I sent him a message about his high score posted on youtube.

donkey kong arcade pointpress part1

donkey kong point press part 2 of 2

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 02:52:25 pm »
Wow! That's a really nice pace! Is he a member of this forum yet?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 03:14:51 pm »
Wow! That's a really nice pace! Is he a member of this forum yet?

Yeah, that's Joseph Carroll. He's Bliss1083 on the forum.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 12:22:37 am »
Glad everyone liked it. Now that I look at that video I almost wanna kick myself for not getting the prizes on the elevator stages. I see a lot of points being left on the boards in that game. I'm going to start streaming a lot more once I get my internet connection upload speed at an acceptable level. Thanks for a site like this where people interested might actually get to see this and hopefully learn anything from it.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 12:23:16 am »
I just created a two new videos this evening. The first is [noembed]How to play Donkey Kong on WolfMAME[/noembed]. In this video I show people who are not familiar with MAME how to set it up. I posted this link on the High Score List under the "Want to play Donkey Kong on MAME" heading. During the video, while the files are downloading I highly promote the High Score List and the Donkey Kong Forum. I hope you don't mind, Jeff. :)

I just finished my 800K game at 1M pace video and will be posted that this evening as well.

Be sure to Like and Subscribe! Shameless pitch, lol ;) The more people who view it and like it will surely promote it better when people do searches on youtube and help the Donkey Kong Forum get more exposure that way too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:27:15 am by corey.chambers »

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 06:14:45 am »
Weave/Star

To me, it seems like the success with either one of these patterns doesn't lie within the pattern itself...but rather...like many aspects of DK...success lies within the leniency of the randomness.

Sure, you can make an educated guess and decide whether or not to do the star/weave based on how firefoxes are dispersed throughout the screen...as you clear the first rivet...but any firefox can spoil either pattern if you get unlucky.  It only takes 1 stubborn firefox running left to block you from either climbing up to clear the top left rivets (star/weave), climb down to grab the left hammer (star), or prevent you from getting the middle hammer (star/weave).

You're at the mercy of the game...and I don't think either pattern is superior over the other...nor do I think one can accurately judge whether or not to use either pattern based on what happens during the first 5-6 seconds of the screen.

You never hear anyone shouting "do the weave, weave!" or, "go for the star, star!"...you always hear people say, "maybe the weave would have worked there", or, "probably shoulda just stuck with the star"...and thats just hindsight.

Just my 2 cents.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 06:27:22 am »
I just created a two new videos this evening. The first is [noembed]How to play Donkey Kong on WolfMAME[/noembed]. In this video I show people who are not familiar with MAME how to set it up. I posted this link on the High Score List under the "Want to play Donkey Kong on MAME" heading. During the video, while the files are downloading I highly promote the High Score List and the Donkey Kong Forum. I hope you don't mind, Jeff. :)

I just finished my 800K game at 1M pace video and will be posted that this evening as well.

Be sure to Like and Subscribe! Shameless pitch, lol ;) The more people who view it and like it will surely promote it better when people do searches on youtube and help the Donkey Kong Forum get more exposure that way too.

There's nothing shameless about plugging a personal project for which you obviously have a great deal of passion.

I just subscribed AND gave a thumbs up to all 4 videos currently posted.  Looking forward to the rest.

Hey Corey, with your approval, I'd like to add one of your games to a "DK Data Archive" topic I've been planning.  Each game summary looks like this:

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=161.msg2165#msg2165

Personally, I would choose the 816,400 Level 18-3 game.  Do you have a preference?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 06:42:22 am »
Thanks for your thoughts. Very encouraging. You are more than welcome to use my information for a project. Feel free to use any game I have done or will do. :)