Author Topic: Pie Factory - get the girl?  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Doombear

• Awards
Pie Factory - get the girl?
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:15:44 pm »
Was the Pie Factory goal originally to get to girl on the top level? Why did they change it to Kong?s level only? I could see with Kong sliding back and forth on the conveyor belt, it might?ve been possible for Mario to make a dash from the opposite side and get up the middle ladder to the girl Pauline. Did the code run out of space for this to be programmed in or was it not a good enough challenge to put into the game?
Member for 3 Years

Offline Kibbey93

• Nibblayyyyyy.
    • Twitch.tv
    • Awards
Re: Pie Factory - get the girl?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 05:24:06 am »
I can only imagine that due to the fireballs not climbing down once they reach the top, and there being a good chance 3-5 fireballs will be on the top girder by the time you reach it, they likely tested and considered it too difficult to add. Just an assumption though.
DK Masters - Rank D Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline creech

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 05:59:37 am »
Kibbey pls
Member for 4 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline furrykef

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 04:34:00 pm »
It would also be more difficult to win by climbing up the left-hand side, since the ladder to Pauline's platform is not centered. Though of course they could have changed the level's design so that it was.
I might never make it to a kill screen, but I found Donkey Kong's hidden music!
Member for 9 Years

Offline PaulGoes

• Just started playing the game
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 04:10:48 am »
In Sockmasters romhacks Donkey Kong Remix, Christmas Remix and Spooky Remix you actually have to go to Paulines girder to finish the Pie factory board. It is possible to approach the ladder from both sides: from the right side as well as from the left side.

I don't know if he had to make any changes to make the left side approach possible: he might have changed the position of Paulines girder/ladder or made DK change direction more to the right.

One change that he did made is that the fireballs are not stuck on DK's conveyor belt, but are allowed to go down the retractable ladders.

In my romhack Donkey Kong Reverse you start at Paulines girder and have to make your way down to the lowest girder. So jumpman has to pass the DK conveyor belt here also. One detail that I remember when programming it, was that jumpman is also able to climb the two DK ladders (that DK uses to leave the screen after completing it). Normally the check for finishing a level is a simple check on the Y-coordinate of jumpman, so SockMaster must have coded something to prevent finishing the level by climbing up either of the DK ladders.

Member for 5 Years