Author Topic: Donkey Kong Monitor Replacement  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Snal

• Awards
Donkey Kong Monitor Replacement
« on: May 09, 2020, 09:31:22 am »
Hello!

Me and my dad are trying to get a Donkey Kong machine up and running. It seems like all the essential parts are there except the monitor. We've kind of looked around and we can't really find a sanyo ez 20 in our area. However, we came across this forum post (https://forums.arcade-museum.com/archive/index.php/t-361261.html) which was discussing this board from Mike's Arcade (https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=NININVAMP). Maybe we're not reading it correctly, but does this essentially mean that we can use any crt monitor as long as we connect it to the Mike's Arcade board? If so, how to we go about doing that? We've looked for tutorials using the Mike's Arcade board but haven't found anything. My dad has some technical experience, but we're new to arcade machines.

Thanks!
- Snal
Member for 3 Years

Offline BillyGaines

• L=22
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Monitor Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 07:53:21 pm »
The board from Mike's inverts the image from the DK PCB and replaces the sound amp board on the Sanyo monitor but you would still need to tap the 120v power input and connect to your CRT via an isolation transformer.  If you install an LCD you don't need the isolation transformer.  I'm not a fan of LCDs for classic games. 

Also, never plug a Sanyo into a 120v power source.  Use the socket on the Nintendo power brick which is 100v. 

I suggest creating an account at KLOV.  It's a great resource situations like this.  My advice is research it and go slow.  Learn the basics: 
- What are the correct voltages and how to check them.
- Take pictures of what is plugged where.
- Safety.  Learn how to discharge a monitor.  You can get zapped if you aren't careful.

Good luck!

"If at first you don't succeed then maybe you just suck." - Kenny Powers
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline VeryApe121

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 06:50:49 am »
Whereabouts are you located?  There is someone near me in southeastern Pennsylvania who has a recapped Sanyo 20EZ for sale, $225. 
"GET SLAMMED NERD" - Ape Jr
Member for 5 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Snal

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 10:37:48 am »
Thank you for the replies! I'll take a look at KLOV. Unfortunately, we're in Illinois.
Member for 3 Years

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 11:32:30 am »
If worse comes to worst and you just can't source a Sanyo, you could always just get one of these:
https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=19LCDNIN

LCDs are always gonna be controversial, but this one looks really, really nice.

Otherwise, you'll have to find a Sanyo, have it shipped, and that might be only the beginning of your troubles!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 12:14:23 pm »
Where at in Illinois? I'm in IOWA I can help you guys find one. And get your game going.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener Winner of a community event DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 12:34:06 pm »
Someone on the NJ arcade collectors FB page is selling a Sanyo EZ complete and working for $300
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener