General Donkey Kong Discussion > General Donkey Kong Discussion

Suggested changes to DK recording rules

(1/5) > >>

LMDAVE:
I decided to take a cut at going over the existing TG DK recording rules and made suggestions on removing certain redundant steps. The steps in red are suggested to be removed with a comment rationale. I'm trying to let focus be on the post recording and relieve the burden of all the pre-recording and other steps during normal recording sessions.

I posted them as images because I wasn't sure if every had MS EXCEL.

I would like to hear input on other steps, or rebuttal to my suggestions if you see a step that should remain that I think shoudl be removed, and your rationale of course. Once finalized, maybe we can submit it to some at TG for their input/approval.

syscrusher:
I was going to call in and bring this topic up on Arcade Culture last Saturday, but I slept through it.  Honestly, I don't see why it shouldn't just be like every other game with a 4-way joystick and a button.  It's pretty obvious that 1M scores are obtainable without cheating, so the whole point for putting these rules in place to begin with is now moot.  Does using a switching power supply or a new Z80 chip really make a difference?  I've used a switcher for a couple of records before and it was never an issue.  Maybe that is an issue for some games, I don't know, but that's not the even the annoying part about the current DK submission rules.  At a bare minimum, I would ask if all verification could be done after the game is finished and to be able to power cycle the machine to restart a game.  That would make a world of difference and I don't think that's a lot to ask for.

LMDAVE:
I agree that it should follow the other arcade games where your initial taping should just be an introduction of your name/date, show the power up to show copyright, score table etc...then play your game. Only do the post stuff afterwards if you score, and that post stuff should be able to be performed without having to take the PCB out just to show the video board, something that is also in line with other arcade cabinets. That pretty much makes it similar to other arcade rules. But, whatever is decided, either by someone talking to Richie, etc..it need to be reiterated through TG as a statement. I assume once the website is back up there will be a section describing arcade recording in general.

ChrisP:
1. Pre-verification is completely redundant. Why do you have to show the PCB at the beginning if you're going to do it at the end?
2. The Braze kits (high score save, D2K) should be allowed.
3. Showing the ROMs accomplishes nothing and proves nothing, as they can be rewritten with no physical evidence. You're as likely to have legit code on replacement chips as you are to have hot-rodded code on factory-stickered chips.
4. The power supply rule is senseless. You're not going to get more 800 smashes because you're using a switcher. (PSP put this rule into place because he noticed graphical glitches on some DK machines running off of a switcher. So instead of determining case-by-case whether someone's switcher was causing a problem, it became a "rule.")
5. As someone who had to play with an 8-way joystick for a couple of weeks, let me say unequivocally that it is NOT an advantage. It's as clumsy as having three legs.

I am really hoping that the new TG won't insist on adhering to rules that are obsolete, created during a time when the game was not understood as well as it is now, and most of which are "better safe than sorry" redundancies in response to POSSIBLE problems, as opposed to problems that are actually known.

Chuck 'em. The behavior of the game will speak for itself.

LMDAVE:
I wouldn't be too quick change hardware, meaning allowing braze kits and 8-way sticks, I was mainly trying to get them to relax the amount of step with standard hardware. That would be a huge step right there. Asking them to accept hardware modification to too much of a leap I feel.

The only issue I have with the braze kit, and I own one, even in DK mode, you are running a rom set with additional modifications made, mods that save scores, adds sound to attract screen if wanted, has commands added for when you press player 1&2 to switch  games. If DK2 Jeff wanted to, a braze kit can be made that can give you 75% 800's, or some other mod. I know by that same rationale that existing ROM chips can be modified to look the same, but it's a risk we hope doesn't happen. A lot of games have hardware kits, save kits, my missile command has the super missile command kit, which is similar to the DK2 kit.

I no opinion on the power supply thing, I would have to experience what he says happens.

But, just to get DK rules back down to normal arcade recording level with standard hardware is all I'm asking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version