Author Topic: Donkey Kong - Randomized Edition - rom-hack  (Read 4116 times)

Offline PaulGoes

• Just started playing the game
    • Awards
Donkey Kong - Randomized Edition - rom-hack
« on: March 18, 2020, 03:23:21 pm »
I've created the Donkey Kong - Randomized Edition rom-hack for the arcade version of Donkey Kong.

The idea is to have a Donkey Kong version that selects each board randomly: a random level (between 1 and 5) and a random screen (barrels, pies, springs, rivets).

The selection of each board is random without knowing what it selected before. It is even possible that you have the same board again after completing it.

To get a more interesting randomization for skilled Donkey kong Players, the randomization doesn't distribute the levels and screens evenly. The used randomization algorithm results in the following distribution:

To get a more interesting randomization for skilled Donkey kong Players, the randomization doesn't distribute the levels and screens evenly. The used randomization algorithm results in the following distribution:

• Levels: L=01 (3,5%), L=02 (9%), L=03 (25%), L=04 (25%), L=05 (37,5%)
  • Screens: Barrels (50%), Pies (12,5%), Springs (25%), Rivets (12,5%)

The randomly selected board is shown in the level progress screen:

• The Level is indicated in the upper right corner: L=01, L=02, L=03, L=04 and L=05.
  • The screen is indicated by the number of Goofy Kongs: 1=Barrels, 2=Pies, 3=Springs, 4=Rivets.
  • So the random selected board of the above screen is Springs with L=04.
  • The game doesn't select boards that are not in the original game: Pies L=01, Springs L=01 and Pies L=02.

Normally the overall progress in the game is shown by the level. But in this game that is of no use because the level is randomly chosen between 1 and 5. To show the progress a randomization count is displayed that counts the number of performed randomizations.

The working patch is available for download in the KL Discord https://discord.gg/VqwmtBe.
Member for 5 Years

Offline Robert

• Awards
Re: Donkey Kong - Randomized Edition - rom-hack
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 05:54:55 am »
I encountered a bug the first time I tried playing this.

The first stage was the rivets stage and there was no sound until I had climbed halfway up, then suddenly it came on. After that the sound was normal and the problem didn't occur again.
Member for 5 Years

Offline PaulGoes

• Just started playing the game
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 03:49:54 pm »
Anyone else has encountered this same problem?

I see a lot of players play the rom-hack in the KL GOTM that is running now. So far I haven't heard anyone else having problems.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:52:00 pm by PaulGoes »
Member for 5 Years

Offline NWnike

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 06:07:38 pm »
 I have played quite a bit and I can report no issues other than getting my ass kicked.
Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer