Author Topic: The 2020 FeBROary PB Challenge  (Read 9355 times)

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
The 2020 FeBROary PB Challenge
« on: January 14, 2020, 03:38:33 pm »
Calling everyone who wants to get a better full-game score on Donkey Kong!

Duration: Feb 1st, 2020 Through Feb 29th, 2020, GMT.

SCORING & RULES

1. Only PBs matter. If you don't PB, you have no entry. NO PB, NO CARE!
2. Score will be computed based on how much you minimize the distance between your old PB and the world record, as a percentage.

a. Example 1

Allen Staal plays, with his score of 910,800. His starting pb difference gap is 348,200. This is represented as 1,259,000 - 910,800 = 348,200.
        Say Allen scores a million even. He said he'd get it soon, so let's go with that. This means that he improved by 89,200. This is represented as 1,000,000 - 910,800 = 89,200.

His improvement is calculated as 89,200/348,200 = 25.617%

b. Example 2

Robbie Lakeman's starting difference gap is 1,259,000 - 1,247,700 = 11,300.
        To overtake Allen from the previous example, he would have to score 2900 more points than his current PB for a final of 1,250,600 and a % increase of 25.664%

The winner will be the player who moves their new score closest to the world record (100%) from their current PB (0%) and achieves the highest gap improvement % during the event. NO PB, NO CARE!

3. If anyone beats the current world record of 1,259,000 during the event, all scores are recalculated relative to that with the NWR achiever being in the lead with a 100% score. If things get more complicated than that, see rule 3a.

3a. World Record Situations
There are 4 types of prize money per the structure.

A) $100 added initially
B) $10 entry fee per player in the event
C) $25 added per PB at a max of one PB per player
D) "Second place" $50 triggered if a world record is achieved by any player.

If no world records happen, then we play until the end of the month and the higher gap reduction % is the winner as stated, and A, B, and C all go to the winner.

If there is a world record, they lock up A, and are implicitly in the lead for B & C (which together go to the overall champion), and if nobody beats them then D is granted to second place.

If that world record is beaten (or beaten multiple times), then the final world record at the end of the event gets B&C, second place gets D, and whoever achieved the first New World Record keeps the "first WR" $100. Second place could also be the first WR achiever.

4. No cheating.

5. No old INP or video submissions. The play must be done during the month of February. We'd love it to be streamed, but as long as it's in February island runs are also acceptable.

6. If you PB multiple times and submit, the last one relative to your starting PB will be what counts in the end.

7. No sandbagging. If a submission is made more than 24 hours after achievement, the run is automatically rejected.

8. A new PB will only be considered valid once it's been submitted to and verified on the DKF scoreboard. NO EXCEPTIONS!

9. In the unlikely event of a statistical % dead heat tie, the first player who achieved the tied % wins. All other players must then achieve a higher %.

10. All entrants must have a current, verified PB on the DKF scoreboard of at least 748,400. Any player wishing to join who does not have a verified PB on DKF or meet the minimum score threshold will default to the lowest Kill Screen score on the scoreboard: Currently 748,400. Inclusion of any entrant that does not have an easily reviewable, verified base score is solely up to the disgression of the organizers.

11. DO NOT let Tanner win.
12. If no one PBs during the event, all entry fees will be forfeit and the entire prize pool will rollover into a similar tournament T.B.A. at a later date.

ENTRY FEE

* $10 per entrant. All entrants must ante up their $10 payment before the tournament starts or they will be kicked from the list. 100% goes toward the prize pool.
* There is a $100 overlay and $25 will be added to the prize pool for each and every pb achieved in the tournament at max of 1x per player.

PAYOUT STRUCTURE

* 1st place: 100%
* 2nd place: May as well be last place Except in the case of a world record, see rule 3a.

LINKS:
Standings, rules, HOW TO ENTER, discord, etc:

DK FeBROary PB Challenge Scoreboard

DK FeBROary PB Challenge Rules

Kong League Discord Invite
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:01:08 pm by wflimusic »
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: The DK FeBROary PB Challenge 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 09:55:17 pm »
Awesome!! PB's incoming for most people! <Allen>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Have a score on every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 11:53:17 am »
Yeah I luved the idea when Duke told me last night. Something everyone can do. But be completely separate from everyone. This will more than likely push me for a million+. Maybe Circus Charlie is owning me lol.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener Winner of a community event DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 03:28:14 pm »
Great idea.  Does someone have a calculator I can borrow?
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 04:17:52 pm »
Tim - your baseline would end up being 748,400, so anything over that would count as an entry and obviously a PB, though 748,400 exactly would still be 0% improvement (sorry).

It got pretty tricky to make the format work in a world where there could be sleepers hiding, so we mitigated against that by making the lowest ever killscreen score be the cutoff. The only advantage we can't mitigate against is that the chance of a 900k player getting a pb is far higher than a 1.1 player. So while my score is at a level where I should be able to pb on like half of my attempts by running boards, I'll still need to push in the case where a top 10 player pbs at all, since their % is going to be larger for smaller gains.

I think it levels the playing field quite a bit, though, and hopefully will get all of those dirty 1.13s out of the top 10. :) Would love for everyone to jump in and pb!

And to answer your question:  windows, MacOS, and I think every linux distro has a calculator app. :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:57:29 pm by dnickolas »

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 01:27:52 am »
One tiny request: can this be moved to March?

Or was the overlap with Yolympics intentional?  ;D
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 02:38:46 am »
One tiny request: can this be moved to March?

Or was the overlap with Yolympics intentional?  ;D

The overlap was not intentional, but I don't think this will be an issue for the majority of players.  We would prefer not to move it to March due to the planning and sign ups that have already taken place.  Our ultimate goal is to have a consistent league running of regularly occurring events.  Overlap is bound to happen.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:45:43 am by tilt »
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 06:03:59 am »
I totally read the dates wrong on this. Go ahead and take me off. I thought it was for the year. I have no interest in playing kong until I max out Circus Charlie already have to much time invested in it. Luv the idea. Have fun everyone!!!

Oh yeah someone should tell Allen it doesn't start tell February lol
!
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener Winner of a community event DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 10:05:39 am »
Gilly - You will be missed, sir. Circus Charlie is about to be owned.

Chris - The real reason for holding it during Yolympics was to handicap Ross from being able to easily defend his precarious position in the top 10. :-)

But seriously, it was not intentional, and considering that when DK was literally in Yolympics everyone complained about it, I figure that there's less overlap than one might think when talking about active players. All I can offer is that it's only one more game above the litany of Yolympics games already, and this year you might want a break from pew pew pew?

There will be more events, and hopefully the formats will be interesting enough to get people hyped up. We want it to be a league with regular competitions, and to be honest I would love for it to start to eat away at some of the rifts in the community. Let the past die, and let's get back to figuring out how to put up scores on this thing that make 1.2 look like a board run.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 02:24:01 pm »
Just joshin'.

In fact, if people end up not-liking the Yolympics games (and boy oh boy the voting is not looking pretty!), they could focus on this event instead.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 12:58:49 pm »
Bump - 50 hours left to register.

We have made a few modifications to the rules surrounding world records so that a world record on day one doesn't leave the other players with nothing to shoot for for the month. See rule 3a, and the modification to 3 that removes the "event is over" verbiage.

Summary: whoever has the world record at the end of the month gets the vast majority of the prize pool any way you cut it, but the first WR takes the 100 added off the top. Anything sub-WR as far as all performances go are per the initial rules.

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 02:51:27 am »
Matt pls circus Charlie fttt only im the best at that game lit
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 07:19:21 am »
Allen you are I have nothing for you Kreygasm

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 04:52:30 pm »
Just a quick update as to where we stand...
There have been 3 PBs so far (Jeff Wolfe, Craig Tubby, and David Gaither), with the largest Gap % Closed being 16.885% from Craig.  The scoreboard automatically updates to show the required score that you will need to win based on this, so feel free to have a look if you are competing in the tournament or if you are just curious.  As of now, the winner of the tournament will receive $405.  This increases by $25 with every PB.

We're a little over half-way done with the tournament, so keep up the good work guys!

My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline NWnike

• Awards
Re: The 2020 FeBROary PB Challenge
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 05:04:15 pm »
MOVED...

FeBROary PB Challenge 2020 Results

Hi all,

This is a bit late coming, and all payouts/finalization has already happened. Someone asked about the results in a stream last week and I decided that it'd make sense to have a post for that purpose here. It would have been sooner, but there was kind of a global pandemic that had me far busier than usual.

Anyhow, thanks for a fantastic tournament. We had a pretty great turnout, and I loved seeing multiple DK runs being streamed at the same time.

Highlights for me:

1. On the first weekend, there was a point where Robbie and JP had identical scores after level 7 at the same time live on stream.
2. Seeing Jeff Wolfe really play. I've seen him at a couple Kong Offs, but that's his "easy million" mode and is a completely different set of skills from what he's capable of.
3. The overall positive attitude.

Anyhow, the final results (only people who PBed) are:

1. JP Buergers - 26.977% gap closure - Now #5 all time with 1,166,700
2. Craig Tubby - 16.885% gap closure
3. Jeff Wolfe - 10.950% gap closure
4. David Gaither - 0% gap closure (he PBed but did not break the lower bound of 748,400 for the tourney)

So JP won it all as per the tournament.

As you may have noticed, there's another event starting right now, so get on over to CAGTournaments.com and register for...

Kong League Game Of The Month Social
Register by: Wednesday Mar 25 '20 at 0:00 UTC
Prizes:

1st: $25 USD
2nd: KL Silver Tier Subscription
3rd: KL Silver Tier Subscription

All players submitting a score will receive Bronze Tier status in the Kong League Discord! Good luck

Online Tournament
Proof System: INP File or Video Link

It's free to enter, and the prize is an order of magnitude smaller, but there are some bounties in this one. Also note that it has to be played on the new Randomized rom created for KongLeague.

Since the levels are random, you never know what's coming next. No matter where a board pops up, if you break any of the following records during a run you will receive the bounty. Details for proof/submissions are available in the Discord as well as on CAGTournaments.com.

Bounty list:

Tie or exceed 18,700 using 1 Jumpman life on any Level 5 barrel stage: $187
Tie or exceed 13,500 using 1 Jumpman life on any Level 5 conveyor stage: $135
Tie or exceed 9,700 using 1 Jumpman life on any Level 5 elevator stage: $97
Tie or exceed 12,700 using 1 Jumpman life on any Level 5 rivet stage: $127
Tie or exceed 15,100 using 1 Jumpman life on any 1-1 barrel stage: $151
Tie or exceed any other of the Level 1-4 barrel, conveyor, elevator or rivet stage DKF record: $20

Stay safe, everyone, and if you happen to have some time to throw at competitive CAG gaming, please sign up!
Have a score on every DK3 track Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer