Author Topic: Zoo Keeper bounties (arcade/MAME)  (Read 8324 times)

Offline JasonV91

• Awards
Zoo Keeper bounties (arcade/MAME)
« on: January 06, 2020, 07:42:45 pm »
Posted this at TG as well - meant to do this last month, but December really got away from me.

Having recently made an effort to learn to play Zoo Keeper (arcade/MAME) for the first time, after around a week's worth of playing, I was able to hit just over 2 million points - a PB that I'm content with for now, but a pretty paltry score in the grand scheme of things. Being more familiar with the game now, I have a new-found appreciation for the scores the top players have put up over the years.

Right around the time of my submission to TG, John Petric (the current WR holder) posted this thread: https://www.twingalaxies.com/lexmark/wall/7485/score-sandbagging-is-it-really-quotnot-in-the-spirit-of-competitionquot%E2%80%8B%E2%80%8B%E2%80%8B

There was some rehashing of old conversations, but it also generated some interesting new banter. I thought it would be fun to see if we could encourage the pros to fire it up again, and hopefully, also draw some new blood to what I think is a fun game. To do this, I'm offering several bounties for publicly-viewable footage (either arcade or using WolfMAME) of a few different score levels. Due to his known mastery of the game, John Petric will only be eligible to collect the highest-level bounty, but everyone else is eligible to collect one or more:

• 50 million points - The highest publicly-viewable score I could find is Ross's 47,672,430 (great stuff sir), so I figured an even 50 million would be a nice first level to set. 50 USD goes to each of the first three players that reach this milestone.
  • 63,061,100 points - This is the TG-recognized world record arcade score, courtesy of John. 100 USD goes to the first person to eclipse this score.
  • 75 million points - Another nice, round number, and higher than any community-recognized score ever achieved. 150 USD to the first person to hit this level.
  • 100 million points - A truly incredible feat, and one that I know is on at least one person's to-do list - I'm looking at you lexmark! 200 USD to the first person to break this barrier.
  • Stream bonus - We'd all love to see the attempts...I'll throw in an extra 25 USD for every bounty collected while playing live on stream.

Should someone achieve a score in one of the higher levels before having collected a bounty on the lower level, they will automatically claim any lower bounty still open. For instance, if the first score submitted is 76 million, the player will collect one of the three available first-level bounties, and both the second and third-level bounties, for a total of 300 USD. You did it on a live stream? Make that 375 USD.

The performance can be done on either an original Zoo Keeper cab, or using WolfMAME version 0.183 or later (see requirements below). Settings/scoring requirements are as follows (the standard defaults):

Initial Number of Keepers: 3
   High Score Enable: 1
   Novice Animal Speed: 39
   Expert Animal Speed: 30
   No Hit Mode: 0

No more than 3 landings are allowed on the top platform of each coconut stage, or the score will be disqualified.

Performances must be submitted no later than December 31st, 2020. Recording requirements are as follows:

Arcade
  • Settings (as listed above) must be shown prior to game start - multiple attempts can be made as long as the machine is not reset or powered off, otherwise settings must be shown again before the next attempt begins.
  • Entire performance must be recorded, including the entry of initials after game over.
  • If playing at a residence or private arcade, a view of the original PCB is required in the recording - if playing at a public arcade, a shot of the full cab, and power cycling the machine before game start, will be sufficient.
  • Recording must be made available for public review by submitting to TG, or by sending directly to me, where I will make it available for viewing/download.

WolfMAME

• .inp must be recorded using WolfMAME version 0.183 or later (version used must be provided).
  • NVRAM must be disabled before recording.
  • Only one attempt per .inp is allowed.
  • Entire performance must be recorded, including the entry of initials after game over.
  • Recorded speed must not drop below 95% for the duration of the performance.
  • After recording is ended, the original .inp must be placed in a .zip archive, and made available for public analysis by submitting to either TG or MARP, or by sending directly to me, where I will make it available for viewing/download.

I tried to cover all the bases, but if I missed something, please let me know and I can correct/clarify it. Looking forward to seeing some great game play - get jumping people!
Member for 5 Years DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Zoo Keeper bounties (arcade/MAME)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 08:17:07 pm »
Great stuff! Would love to see people fire this up :)

75 million points - Another nice, round number, and higher than any community-recognized score ever achieved.

Classic
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline BBH

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 01:27:51 pm »
Putting your money where other people's mouths are. I like it!
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:44:49 pm »
62,745,500. Included two 15 million jumps.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/583546400

& inp attached.

This was played on Wolf 131. If that disqualifies me from the bounties that's totally fine. For whatever reason Zoo Keeper struggles bad when I try to stream with newer versions of MAME -- it visibly chugs -- and 131 works so I don't mess with it. I'll still continue to play even if I'm not eligible for the bounties... this game left me salty and I want much more.

Offline francoisadt

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 12:27:28 pm »
This was played on Wolf 131. If that disqualifies me from the bounties that's totally fine. For whatever reason Zoo Keeper struggles bad when I try to stream with newer versions of MAME -- it visibly chugs -- and 131 works so I don't mess with it. I'll still continue to play even if I'm not eligible for the bounties... this game left me salty and I want much more.

This also do happen to me on my laptop due to OBS Video Recorder/Streamer use the same graphics card as Wolfmame on my laptop.

It "stutter" and then suddenly with a burst move every 20/30 minutes. It does not impact the frame rate. It makes it more difficult for the game.
Member for 10 Years

Offline JasonV91

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 06:36:35 pm »
Just got done watching both the Twitch highlight, and the playback/analysis of the .inp - excellent gameplay, and super fun to watch as always! You mentioned before how streaming negatively affected ZK's performance on your system, and I told you WolfMAME 0.131 would be fine - the first bounty has been collected! That's $50 for reaching the 50 million point level, and another $25 for doing it on stream - $75 buys a lot of Busch Light! I'll send you a message to work out payment.

Congrats again on a new PB, AND the new MAME record...keep going sir - those ele-FONT-ays don't stand a chance!
Member for 5 Years DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Twitch Streamer

Offline bondo 2014

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 06:03:17 am »
Congrats  Ross!!!
Member for 10 Years

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 10:21:44 pm »
Not claiming any bounties with this one, but I'll leave the inp for anyone curious to dig deeper on what happened here: https://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp/clip/CoyKawaiiPorpoiseTBTacoLeft?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time

I bombed out shortly after.

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 10:31:45 pm »
BOOOMMM!!
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 11:02:42 pm »
Thar she blows! No gameplay hiding here.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 03:16:27 pm »
Whaaaaat!
Duuuuuuwed!
TAYPE!
Classic Ross!  8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 03:48:57 pm »
Boom!

I originally thought this had to do with the corners and an animal being counted twice when they transition around, but this (15m for 14 animals) shows there's something fucky going on inside the big group rather than the very last animal in the 30m jump

I made a save state just before Ross made his big jump, and it happens 100% of the time so its not some frame perfect timing thing

Zookeeper....a couple more questions

Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 03:56:28 pm »
Simple answer: the animals and the game was in a good mood.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline datagod

• Howdy folks!
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 09:42:26 pm »
Very exciting news!  Congratulations.  Can't wait to watch the video.
Lets be pals!
Member for 10 Years

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 04:11:13 am »
Memo to John Lexmark: can we finally see a full video of your gameplay? The secrets are being unlocked.
We just want to see the tremendous skill you've been able to garner by the many hours you practiced on this game.
I made this appeal to Mark Kiehl as well, and was ignored. Hopefully it won't take Ross to beat your score to finally show full footage.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener