Author Topic: MAME vs Arcade  (Read 5329 times)

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
MAME vs Arcade
« on: November 25, 2019, 03:34:20 pm »
Anyone else been in the situation where you only have access to MAME for DK at home, and play pants in comparison to when you get to the arcade?  I can only really get there every few weeks, so I tend to play at night about 2 times a week for a few hours.

Both times I've been to the arcade in the last month, I've got multiple 400-600k scores, but I've really struggled to get over 500k at home!  I know for sure that my WolfMAME is skipping frames badly, even though my CPU isn't maxing out (average 50-60% whilst recording) but it also does it when I'm just doing an INP, so I don't think it's the overhead of OBS.

Someone said that GroovyWolfMAME was a good shout as it's closer emulation and is accepted for scores, is that true..?  If so, is there a guide to getting this working?

Perhaps it's more a combination of standing up and the excellent feedback from the old school joystick, but I feel a huge difference when playing personally.  I really need to get a cab but they cost a fortune!  :'(
Member for 4 Years DK Killscreener

Offline QuikThumbs

• Awards
Re: MAME vs Arcade
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 11:15:14 am »
What about a Switch? You get the actual arcade game, unlimited credits, can take snaps of the screen all for under $8.00 dollars. HIGHLY recommended. ^^
Member for 6 Years

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 03:14:42 pm »
I don't think you can buy a switch for 8$
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener Winner of a community event DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline QuikThumbs

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 09:27:25 am »
Do you REALLY think I want talking about the console, and NOT the eShop titles...?
Member for 6 Years

Offline 1sh

• jump____man
    • 1sh's Twitch channel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 04:16:01 am »
I apologize for the late or even unnecessary reply on the topic.

I usually thought that arcade run faster than the mame emulator by a very slight difference I've personally noticed while watching on other people's streams. I do not see this to be confirmed by anyone but me though. Maybe there is another factor in the equation? I'd sincerely wish to know.
Member for 4 Years

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 04:20:11 am »
What about a Switch? You get the actual arcade game, unlimited credits, can take snaps of the screen all for under $8.00 dollars. HIGHLY recommended. ^^

Sorry for my lack of reply, the notification email didn't arrive.

I heard this was a great way to play this game, someone mentioned it in my stream once. I don't have a switch so I'd rather save that money towards a cab in the future but good shout!

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 04:23:13 am »
I apologize for the late or even unnecessary reply on the topic.

I usually thought that arcade run faster than the mame emulator by a very slight difference I've personally noticed while watching on other people's streams. I do not see this to be confirmed by anyone but me though. Maybe there is another factor in the equation? I'd sincerely wish to know.

I think you're right. When playing in the arcade, it just feels so much more connected and smoother. I can definitely feel the small input lag.

Some guys actually prefer MAME, even some of the top players, so I guess it just comes down to what you prefer.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 05:02:24 am »
I feel MAME is harder. 500 hours on MAME and no killscreen.  20 hours on the Arcade, and I have a killscreen.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 05:06:56 am »
I feel MAME is harder. 500 hours on MAME and no killscreen.  20 hours on the Arcade, and I have a killscreen.

So glad you wrote that. I'm exactly the same. Well, maybe it was 5-6 full 10 hour days in the arcade and I snagged one  ;) At home, I struggle to get to 600k after many games.

Maybe it's also an alertness thing from standing up, or motivation from other people being around?

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 05:49:26 am »

So glad you wrote that. I'm exactly the same. Well, maybe it was 5-6 full 10 hour days in the arcade and I snagged one  ;) At home, I struggle to get to 600k after many games.

Maybe it's also an alertness thing from standing up, or motivation from other people being around?
Well it depends. A crowd can be a great help, but it can be a hindrance if you can't maintain focus. For me, it was a great help.
8) 8)  8) 8) 8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 06:47:45 am »
Yeah, I've actually heard that the energy of a crowd can kind of pick you up, like if you're feeling kind of like a zombie in the middle of a game. Towards the end of a game you can get a little bit of a natural rush going from the crowd and the excitement, which can kind of boost you and put you over the top to complete the game.
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer