Author Topic: Running DK Spooky Remix in Retropie  (Read 11008 times)

Offline PrincessMonacoOfKent

• Awards
Running DK Spooky Remix in Retropie
« on: August 31, 2019, 10:14:38 am »
I'm going absolutely mad trying to make this work, and getting nowhere. Any advice much appreciated.

Things I have:

- DK Christmas Remix ROM, called dkongx11.zip, working perfectly in Retropie through lr-fbalpha.

- DK2 - Jumpman Returns ROM, called dkongx.zip, working perfectly in Retropie through lr-fbalpha.

- standalone DK Spooky Remix ROM, title dkongx11.zip, downloaded from here.

- merged DK ROMset, including Spooky, called dkong.zip, working perfectly in HBMAME.

So all the pieces are there. But no matter what I do, I can't get Spooky to run in Retropie. The best I can get is the original Donkey Kong 2 - Jumpman Returns running with Spooky graphics and colours.

I've tried every combination of ROMs and filenames I can think of. Has anyone managed it?
Member for 4 Years

Offline Majesticone

• Awards
Re: Running DK Spooky Remix in Retropie
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 09:37:24 pm »
Following. 
I manged to get the Christmas remix running on my pi but cant remember how and was trying to switch it to Halloween remix but failed. Glad you posted this I was about too.
Member for 6 Years DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 06:04:56 am »
People have posted images of it apparently running on Retropie, supposedly on lr-mame2016, but that just dumps me straight back onto the menu screen. (Then again, lr-mame2016 does that with everything for me, even after a six-hour update last night.)
Member for 4 Years

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 07:23:12 am »
Looks like we're out of luck  :(
Member for 4 Years

Offline spud1

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 06:23:25 pm »
This has now been resolved on the Retropie website.  The developer of lr-fbneo has updated this emulator to cater for Donkey Kong Spooky Remix.  Lr-fbneo needs to be updated from source.
Member for 4 Years

Offline dnb642

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 07:54:22 am »
FWIW I was having similar problems and did get Spooky (dkongx11.zip) to run on Retropie lr-mame 2016.  Since I already had DK Christmas (also dkongx11.zip) running out of the arcade folder I had to create a separate folder (Donkey Kong Spooky) within the arcade folder and put the Spooky (dkongx11.zip) file there.  That's not all though, I also had to take a copy of dkong.zip and put it in the Donkey Kong Spooky folder as well.  Once I did that, it is all working now.

I am having two other problems though and although this is probably not the best place to post it I will share in case anyone else is having the same issues. These issues are only with the Remix games (including Pauline Edition) running in lr-mame 2016.  It may be a global lr-mame 2016 issue, but I don't know because all my other games run in advance-mame.

1. I've built my control panel with 2 joysticks and whenever I use the 2nd joystick, down position (mapped to keyboard key F) the game pauses and the screen blacks out for a couple seconds then resumes.

2. I cannot get high scores to save in these games.  All of my advance-mame games save, but the Remix games do not.

Any help with my issues are appreciated as well.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:17:28 pm by dnb642 »
Member for 4 Years

Offline 2x4

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 09:22:45 am »
I want to get this running on retroarch too. I wish mame would just support the remix roms.  It would also be nice if there was a simple guide with all the rom links necessary to play each game. FYI I got the Christmas version running when I open the dkong rom. Not sure what's going on there.  BTW my first post in the forum, so thanks so much for creating these awesome new roms.
Member for 4 Years

Offline StamosMullet

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 06:25:38 pm »
Hey -

So new to the forum, and the remix versions of DK!

I have Spooky and XMas remixes running in my Arcade1up modded Retropie cab - and they work great, but I'm curious if there is a way to access the DIP switch menus in either FBNeo or MAME so you can change the number of lives, Extra life score value, etc? Seems like that is disabled - at least in FBNeo.
Member for 2 Years

Offline 10yard

• L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 01:59:31 am »
I have Spooky and XMas remixes running in my Arcade1up modded Retropie cab - and they work great, but I'm curious if there is a way to access the DIP switch menus in either FBNeo or MAME so you can change the number of lives, Extra life score value, etc? Seems like that is disabled - at least in FBNeo.

lr-fbneo exposes all the dipswitch options of any given game as Core Options. See Setting Core Options - https://retropie.org.uk/docs/RetroArch-Core-Options/#setting-core-options

For MAME,  typically you would plug a keyboard, hit the <tab> key during the game and select DIPs option.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 02:31:08 am by 10yard »
Check out my Donkey Kong arcade frontend project at
https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme
Member for 3 Years CK Killscreener

Offline StamosMullet

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 07:17:47 am »

lr-fbneo exposes all the dipswitch options of any given game as Core Options. See Setting Core Options - https://retropie.org.uk/docs/RetroArch-Core-Options/#setting-core-options

For MAME,  typically you would plug a keyboard, hit the <tab> key during the game and select DIPs option.

Thank you. I'm aware of how to access the core options in FBNeo and TAB menu in MAME.

When you do that with these two games/clones/hacks there is nothing there to configure. Are these options disabled programmatically?

Since these are hacks/clones of DK II, I would have normally assumed you would be greeted with config menu built into the game that you normally see at startup, but that appears to be disabled too.
Member for 2 Years

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 04:43:59 pm »
Thank you. I'm aware of how to access the core options in FBNeo and TAB menu in MAME.

When you do that with these two games/clones/hacks there is nothing there to configure. Are these options disabled programmatically?

Since these are hacks/clones of DK II, I would have normally assumed you would be greeted with config menu built into the game that you normally see at startup, but that appears to be disabled too.

There's no DK II config menu because these games aren't hacks of DK II and don't use any of DK II's code.  There are no options to change the settings because they were made with fixed settings for tournament play.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer

Offline StamosMullet

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 08:44:00 am »

There's no DK II config menu because these games aren't hacks of DK II and don't use any of DK II's code.  There are no options to change the settings because they were made with fixed settings for tournament play.
Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense.

Will they ever be released with those options configurable (in ROM format), since the tournament is long since over?

I would gladly pay for a copy of fully configurable ROMs.

I'd love to buy the kit for a real DK board, but I don't own a real DK board, or cabinet, or any of the other hardware required to get one running, and it's not like those are available for purchase new or easy to find.
Member for 2 Years

Offline StamosMullet

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 10:23:34 am »
So take it from the lack of replies, that would be a "no" on releasing the roms with config/service menu available?  <Billy>

Bummer, since the games work in several emulators, but none of the config options work, and they can't save high scores.
Member for 2 Years