Author Topic: Has anyone made a Multi Kong Emulation Pi or Computer with all DK Variants?  (Read 7770 times)

Offline mamemaniac

• Awards
I'm interested in making a multi machine with all the Mame and HBMame (Home Brew) variants. Can someone help me with some direction based on their own experience?
Member for 4 Years

Offline PaulGoes

• Just started playing the game
    • Awards
Hi mamemaniac,

I'm also in the process of creating a bartop arcade cabinet that supports the Donkey Kong hacks.

This week i have been configuring the RetroPie with most of the rom-hacks. This is my first step, because i want to know if it is feasable before I start creating the bartop cabinet.

I'm using the lr-fbneo emulator on RetroPie. They recently added support for a number of additional Donkey Kong hacks (including my hacks Donkey Kong Reverse and Donkey Kong Crazy Barrels Edition).

I downloaded the roms from https://bda.retroroms.info:82/downloads/hbmame/currentroms/ (need an account) and placed them in the roms/arcade folder on the RetroPie.

I then updated the lr-fbneo emulator from source (from the RetroPie settings GUI). This took one and a half hour to complete.

And the hacks were ready to be played.
Member for 4 Years

Offline PaulGoes

• Awards
The hacks that i have running right now:

DK Pauline Edition, DK Remix Demo, DK Christmas Remix, DK Spooky Remix, DK Foundry, DK II Jumpman Returns, DK Reverse, DK Crazy Barrels Edition, DK Rainbow colors, DK Pacman Graphics, DK Atari 2600 Graphics, DK Patched (No kill screen), DK Trainer

The hacks DK Barrel Control Coloring, DK Freerun Edition and DK Springs trainer are not supported. Maybe I will add support myself by adding them to the d_dkong.cpp and rebuilding the lr-fbneo using that new definitions.But I haven't got the time to do that yet.
Member for 4 Years

Offline Robert

• Awards
If you can point me to the roms of missing sets, I can add them to the official HBmame.
Member for 5 Years

Offline PaulGoes

• Awards
A short video with the progress so far.

It shows the menu on the Retropie, scrolling through all DK rom hacks that I have working now.

Started the design for the cabinet, but think that it will be somewhere next year that i have enough time to actually build the bartop arcade.
Member for 4 Years

Offline Mitch Mitchell

• Youtube Channel
    • Awards
That vid is amazing, to have all those version in 1 spot and playable; well done.
VS Duck Hunt - 3,502,900
DK - 985,400
Member for 6 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline Mutt

• Awards
Here's mine.  It's a modded Arcade1Up. There are over a 150 vertical 4-way games on it only w/ several 80s 4:3 horizontal games that I decided would work fine in 3:4. (Elevator Action, Cliff Hanger, etc)  In this video I'm just highlighting the multiple versions of Donkey Kong.

It's an old PC from work stuck in there running Attract Mode w/ the Arcade Flow theme. I'm using mame, hbmame, and a couple PC games. 

I'm still on the hunt for more DK.  Thanks to Paul's vid I will probably add the Japanese version.  I know Congorilla is the exact same rom as Crazy Kong but I remember both machines out in the wild so I wanted both.  Other than that, the other Donkey Kongs are all different.  Did I miss anything?

Big Kong
Crazy Kong
Crazy Kong Part II
Crazy Kong Part II (Alternate Levels)
Crazy Kong 117
Congogilla
Donkey King
Donkey Kong (US)
Donkey Kong II: The Return of Jumpman
Donkey Kong Advanced
Donkey Kong Redux
Donkey Kong Christmas Remix