Author Topic: Jumping closely spaced barrels  (Read 4362 times)

Offline himads

• Awards
Jumping closely spaced barrels
« on: August 21, 2018, 11:06:42 am »
OK, here is another one I have some difficulty with. You know those situations where two barrels are heading toward Mario and there is sufficient space between them where you cannot jump over both of them.  And if you jump over one, the early 1980 electronics are not sufficiently advanced where you can jump over the second one in time. One option is where the first barrel is about to hit Mario and you jump backwards and then there is enough time to jump over the second barrel. Is this how most DK players handle this situation or are there other options? Thanks. 
Member for 5 Years

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Jumping closely spaced barrels
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:31:36 am »
Yep, back jumping is a crucial part of DK. Unless you're  <Allen>

General rule of thumb: if you think you can't broad jump a combo, back jump the first barrel

A more advanced technique which can be useful in certain situations is to jump very early so you only just clear the first barrel and can either broad or straight jump the second
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:33:09 am by Barra »
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 11:59:17 am »
Quote from: himads
the early 1980 electronics are not sufficiently advanced

Haha love it. I shall be using this as my excuse for bombing out from now on :)
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

dwayne

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 06:41:20 pm »
barra   you forgot <Wiebe>   he never jumps backwards that is why i had problems with his tapes.

dwayne

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 06:46:41 am »
Yep, back jumping is a crucial part of DK. Unless you're  <Allen>

General rule of thumb: if you think you can't broad jump a combo, back jump the first barrel

A more advanced technique which can be useful in certain situations is to jump very early so you only just clear the first barrel and can either broad or straight jump the second

The really hard one is where it’s pretty much X_X__X, and you have to do an early broad jump over the non-straight jumpable pair and then a backjump over the third trailing barrel. I do it by forgetting about the first one and only think about barely clearing the second. It’s even tougher than it seems since you’re committed to 2 very precise jumps with forced directionality and if something autos or kong tosses a wild you could have to get lucky and avoid that too.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 11:38:39 am »
I've just recently gotten the hang of this, the backwards jump. I've been playing a bit more on MAME using my PS4 controller rather than on my arcade machine.

This leads to something I always wondered about arcade. One is able to slightly adjust the arcade microswitch (https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=TKG-23-13) underneath the jump button. I wonder if any other arcade players have tinkered with this and if it really makes a difference?
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline himads

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 12:38:44 pm »
Thanks everyone. Interesting!
Member for 5 Years

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 05:05:06 pm »
This leads to something I always wondered about arcade. One is able to slightly adjust the arcade microswitch (https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=TKG-23-13) underneath the jump button. I wonder if any other arcade players have tinkered with this and if it really makes a difference?

I don't know about DK but I tweak the switches for Robotron. Ken is the king of getting them dialed in. It takes a little work to get the right feel for what you're looking for but it's pretty easy.

I don't know if this is generally accepted or not but I just play for fun so I don't care. If you randomly picked 10 micro switches out of a new bag they are all going to be slightly different anyway.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 05:21:48 am »

I don't know about DK but I tweak the switches for Robotron. Ken is the king of getting them dialed in. It takes a little work to get the right feel for what you're looking for but it's pretty easy.

I don't know if this is generally accepted or not but I just play for fun so I don't care. If you randomly picked 10 micro switches out of a new bag they are all going to be slightly different anyway.

Those are all good points. I do know some players like to bring their control panel with them when competing, this might be why. Perhaps they are just used to a certain feel.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline Grotto King

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:21:06 am »
The really hard one is where it’s pretty much X_X__X, and you have to do an early broad jump over the non-straight jumpable pair and then a backjump over the third trailing barrel. I do it by forgetting about the first one and only think about barely clearing the second. It’s even tougher than it seems since you’re committed to 2 very precise jumps with forced directionality and if something autos or kong tosses a wild you could have to get lucky and avoid that too.

Easy question, but to confirm, there are some combinations where you are just fully screwed, right? I imagine that even guys in the top 10 have scenarios they just can't exit due to a lack of space to back jump without falling out of bounds, off the girder. I imagine the real trick here is looking above jumpman's current position and making decisions that don't lead to these scenarios, which I know takes time.
Member for 5 Years

Offline _Zaphod_

• Prime Сasual Dating True Females
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 06:17:04 pm »
Tweaking leaf switches is fair and in fact has to be done, as they bend and require a greater press to actuate with use.  So you have to every so often tweak them back into shape.

tweaking microswitches is not so clear cut. they are very consistent right up until they start failing. 

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 07:55:21 pm »

Easy question, but to confirm, there are some combinations where you are just fully screwed, right? I imagine that even guys in the top 10 have scenarios they just can't exit due to a lack of space to back jump without falling out of bounds, off the girder. I imagine the real trick here is looking above jumpman's current position and making decisions that don't lead to these scenarios, which I know takes time.

Yeah, exactly, though an autosteer or two can even take out an elite player at times. Even with a Staal loop. Getting caught too far left on the 4th girder or too far right in other cases can be death. Third girder is another potential death trap.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer