Author Topic: Score Submissions open, DK Recording Rules yet to be seen...  (Read 10059 times)

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Score Submissions open, DK Recording Rules yet to be seen...
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:57:13 am »
From the TG website:

"Donkey Kong
Arcade
 Points [Hammer Allowed]
 Submit a score for this game!
Official Settings:

Dip-Switch Bank:
1-7 = OFF
8 = ON/OFF [Upright/Cocktail]
Note: The above Dip Switches, are not only the FACTORY DEFAULT settings, but are also the correct Twin Galaxies Tournament Settings for this title and will provide the following settings;

Number of Jumpman: 3
Score Level for Extra Jumpman: 7,000 Points

Any and all recorded Donkey Kong arcade scores must adhere to the procedure outlined in the RECORDING FAQ, which can be viewed here : Donkey Kong Arcade Recording Rules

These guidelines must be followed precisely, else your score may be disqualified."

But there doesn't seem to be anything to click on yet for the recording rules...unless I missed something.

Cool to see they're making good progress!
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline d3scride

• Awards
Re: Score Submissions open, DK Recording Rules yet to be seen...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:17:12 am »
Is there an FAQ or page somewhere that outlines the new fee structure? Can't seem to find it.
PBs:

DK: 702,100 at 1,040,000 pace
1-1: 11,800
1-2: 22,700
No Hammer: 562,800
Lvl 2: 50,400
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:34:01 pm »
Is there an FAQ or page somewhere that outlines the new fee structure? Can't seem to find it.

Here you go, Craig:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/faq/

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:41:37 pm »
From the TG website:

"Donkey Kong
Arcade
 Points [Hammer Allowed]
 Submit a score for this game!
Official Settings:

Dip-Switch Bank:
1-7 = OFF
8 = ON/OFF [Upright/Cocktail]
Note: The above Dip Switches, are not only the FACTORY DEFAULT settings, but are also the correct Twin Galaxies Tournament Settings for this title and will provide the following settings;

Number of Jumpman: 3
Score Level for Extra Jumpman: 7,000 Points

Any and all recorded Donkey Kong arcade scores must adhere to the procedure outlined in the RECORDING FAQ, which can be viewed here : Donkey Kong Arcade Recording Rules

These guidelines must be followed precisely, else your score may be disqualified."

But there doesn't seem to be anything to click on yet for the recording rules...unless I missed something.

Cool to see they're making good progress!

Yeah Mike, that's what I was saying before about nothing being there to click (something they need to fix), but I went as far as hitting submit, and on the form at the bottom it says
"have you met the requirements in the FAQ" and I clicked that.

So, basically the FAQ for arcade is for all games.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:45:56 pm »
So to submit at 2+ hour game of DK I have to pay $60?  Yikes!

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 05:09:35 pm »

So to submit at 2+ hour game of DK I have to pay $60?  Yikes!

That remains to be seen, Hank.  The payment tiers are a bit unclear.

Q: What does it cost to submit a score to Twin Galaxies?

A: Players may purchase Twin Galaxies score submissions based on three tiers:

- $25.00 – One (1) score submission or up to Two (2) hours of recording
     - $60.00 – Three (3) score submission or up to Six (6) hours of recording
     - $75.00 – Five (5) score submission or up to Twelve (12) hours of recording

My guess is that a single game of DK, regardless of length, will soak you for $25.

The key word in the $25 Tier 1 description is "or" (of course, I could be wrong).

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 05:35:25 pm »
bah, what happened to $15  :(

i dont like this model at all, but at very least 1st place scores should be free or it could make a mockery of the records...

Hank would you have paid $25 a time to up your own score?

8)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:40:13 pm by Fast Eddie »

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 05:35:46 pm »
A couple more things:
  • I'd like to see the existing errors (incorrect dates, etc.) in the database fixed, before any new records are added.
  • I'm hoping the search function (interface and features) is an ongoing work in progress, and that we'll see a more user-friendly and robust version down the road.  Currently, the search tool offers bare-bones functionality, at best.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

hchien

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 05:57:54 pm »
Hank would you have paid $25 a time to up your own score?

$25 is reasonable, but it'd probably depend on the score.  If it was 1.2M (not that I'm capable) definitely yes.  1.17M probably.  1.15M maybe.  1.14M probably not.  $60?  A bit high in my opinion.

So what happens when you submit a marathon score?!  "George Leutz, you owe us your left testicle."

This is the problem with charging for content.  When we were discussing this at CAGDC a while back, I asked: "What would happen if youtube charged to upload videos?"  Even if it were just 25 cents, it wouldn't be the website it is now.  Anyhow I don't mind paying, but it will definitely make the scoreboard less accurate.  There were enough unsubmitted scores when it was free.  Lots of people didn't want to go through the trouble of recording rules, camcording, burning DVDs, going to the post office, etc.  I'm curious to see what happens to the scoreboard.

Vincent, if you beat my score, I'll pay for your $60... not.

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:02:03 pm »
The payment tiers are a bit unclear.

Q: What does it cost to submit a score to Twin Galaxies?

A: Players may purchase Twin Galaxies score submissions based on three tiers:

- $25.00 – One (1) score submission or up to Two (2) hours of recording
     - $60.00 – Three (3) score submission or up to Six (6) hours of recording
     - $75.00 – Five (5) score submission or up to Twelve (12) hours of recording

My guess is that a single game of DK, regardless of length, will soak you for $25.

The key word in the $25 Tier 1 description is "or" (of course, I could be wrong).
The explanation they gave a few months back was in line with the $25 for a single game, regardless of length, although I suppose that may have changed.

Frankly I don't really have a problem with this.  I think it will pretty much dry up the MAME submissions and console submissions except maybe on prestigious tracks, and except for some ego crazy players willing to spend some money to claim they have a WORLD RECORD even when they don't.  I've never had much respect for most of the TG MAME records anyway since for least 80-90% of them it was easy to find higher scores elsewhere, and charging for submissions this will just make the TG MAME scores weaker.

For classic Arcade scores, I still think TG has the rightful claim to being the "true" recordkeeper (I just wish they'd clean up or archive as "historical" some of the blatently bogus scores like the old marathon Williams scores on Robotron/Defender/Stargate).  For world records on real arcade games from the classic era, I think they'll still get some submissions for 1st place scores and some other "top but not quite 1st scores".  I think the rest of their submissions will be from live arcade events or at "official TG sanctioned" arcades where live scores are accepted without an extra surcharge.

-George
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Score Submissions "Open"?
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 06:02:29 pm »
Charging for score verifications is, in my opinion, exactly the wrong way to generate revenue for the site.  I believe this policy will drive TG into obsoletion even more quickly than the general ineptitude and inefficiency of its previous staff and hierarchical management.  I like the people behind the new TG, and I hope I am wrong.

I challenge anyone associated with TG to state a case for why anyone should pay to be represented by the TG scoreboard.  What will the player get in return?  Why is TG "bigger" than the players and their scores?

I also challenge all potential score submitters to offer TG an alternative means of generating revenue.  We ought not fight TG's quest to become a for profit business if we want it to endure, but TG must also accept that it will quickly become an irrelevant enterprise without absolute support from the gamers themselves.  Ask yourself, as a gamer, "What would constitute my ultimate competitive scoreboard?"

As a sign of good faith, I hope some representative of TG is willing to openly debate this topic.  Without an effort made to justify this stance, I foresee the number and quality of scoreboard submissions dropping, and consequently, the relevance and good reputation of TG evaporating. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:10:58 pm by VON »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - MAME

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 07:44:59 pm »
fk, I'm already enough poor like that. If I want to send a 3h+ DK submission, I won't be able to afford coming to the Kong Off 3!

Personally, I think that yeah, it will probably make people less want to submit. I think Twin Galaxies should only make money with live events. I obviously never heard of an organization (like Youtube, speeddemosarchive.com, etc) asking for money if they want their score to be "recognized", etc.

There are pro's and con's by making people pay. And I do agree there will be more con's. But pesonally, since I only plan to do scores "live", then I won't bother. I'd rather spend 500$ to travel and make a score live than having trouble recording/submitting for DK!
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 08:03:52 pm »
I like the idea of a yearly membership, then no fees to submit. A set amount of scores, say 12 for example 1 a month.
This seems to be how other sports work.
I can't go get a record in a sport unless I'm a member of a recognised club, it just seems to make more sense to me.
I'd be happy to pay $60 dollars for a year membership to tg and a free membership key ring with member number.
Maby I'm just rambling?
Nick
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:06:20 pm by Monstabonza »
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:28:21 pm »
I didn't like the idea of charging people to submit scores when I first heard it at the KO2 (Craig remembers... Kinda)  I don't mind paying, but like everyone else said the scoreboard may not be as accurate with less people submitting due to fees.  I would prefer if TGI just had a donation link or something along those lines.  There are so many generous people in the gaming community, and if they enjoy their experience with TGI, they would be more than willing to donate.  It would be a better feeling for someone to donate than to have the money charged.

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 06:05:36 am »
Yea I think donations might be a successful way to generate revenue.

Or, properly market the website and thus get gaming companies to advertise on the TG site.  If TG is getting lots and lots of hits, lots of score submissions, and growing...that means more ad revenue.

It's tough.  You want to have some sort of steady income to keep the company going financially, but if it is coming from score submissions...your attempt at a steady source of revenue might be hurting TG more than it's helping.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer