Author Topic: Jumping over barrels sometimes doesn't count as points?  (Read 2930 times)

Offline TryhardTroglodyte

• Awards
Jumping over barrels sometimes doesn't count as points?
« on: July 18, 2018, 11:03:18 am »
I have been combing through the forum trying to find an answer to this, but I can't!  I was playing Donkey Kong on MAME for a bit, and I noticed that sometimes when I jumped over barrels, I didn't receive any points.  I chalked it up to an emulation issue, but I've been focusing heavily on Donkey Kong Arcade Archives on the Switch, and it is happening a lot there, as well, seemingly more so. 

I'm wondering if there's a way to mitigate that?  Is it a certain frame I'm jumping over them?  And I make sure when it happens that it isn't adding points to the overall score.  As far as I have seen, it isn't.   Hence, it is rather frustrating.  As small as the points may be, they add up! 

I wasn't sure of the rules on posting links to personal video sites was, so I trimmed down my stream into this little clip for you to see.  I jump over one barrel, get 100 points, then 3 barrels in a row and get 0 points, and end it with one final barrel that I get points for.

What's going on here?
Member for 5 Years

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
Re: Jumping over barrels sometimes doesn't count as points?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:27:01 am »
If you jump "too early" or "too late" while NOT holding a directional input (left or right) the range of pixels that checks for you clearing an object is much smaller than when you ARE holding a directional input.

Just make sure when you're jumping early, late, or when you're not moving at all to get into the habit of holding a directional input. The phenomenon of no-point jumps will disappear.
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 04:15:06 pm »

Some good info on this phenomenon here, TryHardTrog:

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=429.msg19869#msg19869

:)

Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline TryhardTroglodyte

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 09:17:58 am »
Thank you so much for the help!  I used it on the barrel jumping as well as point pressing DK on the rivets stage, and it worked almost flawlessly!  I say almost because there were still some times when the points didn't come through, but I chalk that up to me still learning the timing.  :)

Thank you, again!
Member for 5 Years